Paying for Taxi in Pesos?

zaknzoey

I have heard that if you pay for your taxi in Pesos, it will come out much cheaper.

Has anyone ever tried this? Just wondering what the fare in Pesos would be from pier to Mr. Sanchos. The exchange rate right now is showing 19:1, pesos to dollars.

A $17 USD taxi fare at that rate would be $323 Pesos. I bet the taxi fare is not that much on the listed fare sheet, but I guess I won't know until I get there.

Hmmm. :confused: So first you need to find a bank or ATM to exchange dollars into pesos (expect to pay service fees or to get something less than the 19:1 exchange rate you quote), so that you maybe can save a few bucks on cab fare.

It might work, but I'm not sure how much you would save and IMHO the likely savings are not worth the hassle. :o Please post back and let us know how it works out.

Hmmm. :confused: So first you need to find a bank or ATM to exchange dollars into pesos (expect to pay service fees or to get something less than the 19:1 exchange rate you quote), so that you maybe can save a few bucks on cab fare.

It might work, but I'm not sure how much you would save and IMHO the likely savings are not worth the hassle. :o Please post back and let us know how it works out.

As far as hassle, my bank does foreign exchange, so I would just do that the next time I'm in there. Even with a small service charge (if there is one) I wouldn't lose that much.

I can't confirm this, but looking over the internet, many have said that currently, the taxi drivers will do a 10:1 rate for pesos, since most do not carry calculators and 10:1 is easy. That would be half-price for the taxi fare.

Also, I just used the taxi fare as an example. I believe there would be other purchased items that when paid in pesos would come out to be cheaper. So, I'm not just looking at the taxi fare. There could also be restaurants, shopping, etc...

Just saying, it could end up saving more than just a few bucks. Not sure, but curious to find out.

Gosh, the small amount we might possibly save paying in Pesos isn't worth the trouble to us. ;)

Well, see, that's my point. It's no "trouble." I go to my bank at least once a week or so. I'll just exchange when I'm there. Once I have the pesos, there is nothing else to do except use them. ;)

Worth a shot but check first. If you are doing the exchange in the us, most banks charge a hefty currency exchange fee and/or built in fee with exchange rates... Even those that have reasonable atm fees when you are overseas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by majmaj4

Worth a shot but check first. If you are doing the exchange in the us, most banks charge a hefty currency exchange fee and/or built in fee with exchange rates... Even those that have reasonable atm fees when you are overseas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks! Definitely going to check around. I actually do business with 3 banks, so I may see what each of their fees will be. ;)

I have heard that if you pay for your taxi in Pesos, it will come out much cheaper.

Has anyone ever tried this? Just wondering what the fare in Pesos would be from pier to Mr. Sanchos. The exchange rate right now is showing 19:1, pesos to dollars.

A $17 USD taxi fare at that rate would be $323 Pesos. I bet the taxi fare is not that much on the listed fare sheet, but I guess I won't know until I get there.

I can say that we get pesos every time we have a cruise with a stop in Mexico. I typically order currency through my bank which does charge a fee but my overall savings by paying for everything (taxi, shopping and eating) in pesos while we are in Cozumel more than covers the bank fee.

I can't help you with the taxi fare to Mr. Sanchos as we've never been there. We go into town to shop and eat with the locals. We typically get out of the port area and get a cab on the street, usually about a block or two from the port; since they tend to be cheaper from some reason. I will ask the cab driver how much is the fare to my destination before we get in the taxi. If I think his answer is inflated, then I will offer a lesser amount that is usually acceptable to them or they will counter my offer until we come to a price that is acceptable to both of us. Just remember to tip top of the taxi fare for the driver. I typically add between 20-100 pesos for the tip.

I can say that we get pesos every time we have a cruise with a stop in Mexico. I typically order currency through my bank which does charge a fee but my overall savings by paying for everything (taxi, shopping and eating) in pesos while we are in Cozumel more than covers the bank fee.

I can't help you with the taxi fare to Mr. Sanchos as we've never been there. We go into town to shop and eat with the locals. We typically get out of the port area and get a cab on the street, usually about a block or two from the port; since they tend to be cheaper from some reason. I will ask the cab driver how much is the fare to my destination before we get in the taxi. If I think his answer is inflated, then I will offer a lesser amount that is usually acceptable to them or they will counter my offer until we come to a price that is acceptable to both of us. Just remember to tip top of the taxi fare for the driver. I typically add between 20-100 pesos for the tip.

If you are going to use pesos like a Mexican then you might as well tip like a Mexican also. Mexicans generally don't tip their taxi drivers.

And unless you speak fluent Spanish and are familiar with local prices the taxi driver will have included his tip anyway. Why do Americans always want to introduce their tipping customs to the rest of the world where, in most places they don't exist?

Taxi prices are set by zone in Cozumel. Whether they include a tip or no I can't tell you. But I will tell you that if you pay in pesos the stated peso price on the sign for the zone where your destination is, you will probably be viewed as cheating the driver. If taxi drivers are still using the 10:1 conversion rate, you aren't really getting "gyped" unless you are a penny pincher.

If you are going to use pesos like a Mexican then you might as well tip like a Mexican also. Mexicans generally don't tip their taxi drivers.

yes, we never tip to taxi drivers, We tip to waiters at a restaurant or bar, to the kids who help me with the groceries at the supermarket or to the person who keep and eye on my car while Im in the cinema or to the hairdresser at the beauty parlor but to taxi drivers? noup

I lived in Mexico for a semester while in grad school and learned from my host mom that they do tip the cab driver a small amount. I still tip the cab drivers based on the service that I have received and they have all been very appreciative of the extra income.

There has always been a large sign with fares at Puerta Maya pier but it wasn't there last July. But it was always listed in dollars and pesos. We have always paid in dollars.

The sign was there when we were at Puerta Maya on September 21.