More snow in early summer?

auntjoy036

My Mom and I are recently back from a great inside passage cruise on the Noordam. She does the seven day Vancouver round trip. Ports are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan, plus cruising Glacier Bay. The scenery was breathtaking everywhere we went. There was very little snow on the mountains we sailed past, though, only a tiny bit of white in the tippy tops.

I am not complaining. It was beautiful as we saw it. I am wondering if the mountains look the same - either gray rock or covered with green trees - during the whole cruise season or whether there is more snow cover early in the summer. Because, of course, if it's beautiful in a different way in May or June, we might have to go again next year.

Vicki

I would say there is more white stuff earlier in the season. Note... this year is a very hot/dry year all along the Pacific Coast. With climate change... snow fell East of the Rockies/Continental Divide. Fingers cross the hot/dry weather does not repeat for a second year on the Pacific Coast.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1901777/could-a-rare-double-el-nino-lead-to-record-high-temperatures-in-b-c/

We talked to locals in every port; they say the southern coastal region doesn't get much snow (or super-cold temperatures) even during the worst winters. That surprised us, as did the green mountains - here in the Canadian Rockies, due to the high elevation, mountains are sheer rock faces and are snow-capped year round.

One guaranteed way to see snow would be by taking a helicopter trip onto a glacier. I'd imagine there also might be some up the White Pass and into the Yukon, especially in May.

I travel every May, and there is a LOT of snow to be seen.--multiple trips, including again this year.

As you have found out, this goes in June. It doesn't return to the inside passage until after the cruise season- usually. BUT, if you want snow, INSIDE Denali Park can have snow from end of August.

Sadly the last 3 May cruises we think we have seen less and less snow...Getting ready (Sept 4th) to cruise the last of the season on RCI Radiance and think we'll see even less this time. :(

Sadly the last 3 May cruises we think we have seen less and less snow...Getting ready (Sept 4th) to cruise the last of the season on RCI Radiance and think we'll see even less this time. :(

There isn't any new snow in this timeframe, so absolutely you will see a lot less- if ANY actually. You haven't cruised this late prior?