First Cruise Bonehead Questions - Cabins

creativepart

So, we've decided to go on our first cruise and the feeling is one of being totally confused.

I think my question is about choosing a cabin - but perhaps I have bigger questions than that.

We're going on a repositioning cruise next April on Holland American from Florida to Rome. 13-day cruise. I think it's time to book but so far we've only looked at their website. And, when trying to put the trip together the website says we need to choose a cabin.

We've been looking for a cabin about mid-ship and mid-level. We're going for a balcony cabin on a new-this-year ship called the Koningsdam.

First, how do we know if we're choosing a good cabin? For example we're looking at #7131.

But maybe the bigger question is... should I be doing this on my own on the company website? Should I talk to one of their consultants? Should I talk to some broker or outside consultant?

I don't want to be that guy that pays the highest price because he doesn't know the drill. So, any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Look at the deck plans...something in the MIDDLE of the ship is best....at any rate..you don't want a cabin within the first 10 cabins up front.

Otherwise...you're good. Do NOT worry to much about this! The entire ship moves if it's rough! Pick the cabin type you like...book it, and stop worrying!

Look at the deck above. You do not want under the pool deck because they are dragging those lounge chairs around. You do not want under the galley because they are cooking all of the time dropping pans and such. You do not want to be under or the clubs because of music. Try to be under another cabin. Do not be across from a big empty and space because that could be crew quarters coming and going slamming doors at all hours. Try to be across from other cabins.

I just started cruising last year and I had no idea where to start. I talked with a travel agent and have used him for 7 cruises so far. I am a solo a solo traveler, so I didn't want to end up somewhere lost. I am getting my "sea legs" on cruising details with my agent now so I a more informed cruiser. Cruise critic is also a great resource. I like to use Tripadvisor to get reviews for cruises and excursions. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For best stability in an angry sea, a stateroom as close to the middle and as close to the keel is recommended. A veranda stateroom, obviously, will need to be several decks above that location.

Very important: one wants staterooms above and below where one's stateroom is located just for noise protection.

I strongly recommend the advice, support, and help of a travel agent who has cruise knowledge in some depth. I think you will be far more satisfied with the result of your booking than trying to "go it alone". Travel agents cost you nothing more than you would pay for your voyage, but can add perks that cannot be obtained by being a do-it-yourselfer.

Edited by rkacruiser

Working with a good travel agent who specializes in cruises would be so very helpful to you.

We are not allowed to give you TA names on Cruise Critic. Ask around to those you know who cruise of have friends who cruise to tell you who their TA is .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

If you dont mind little ricking which we dont. The cabins on the very aft (back) end of the smaller ships (original older ships) have HUGE balconies. Big enough for 6-8 chairs comfortably. These cabins are about same cost as other balconies. They also have connecting gates you can open. Next trip we booked kids in these cabins and us on corner wrap balcony. I believe the cabins are on 5,6 and 7 decks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

@creativepart

Besides what's above and below -- you had a good instinct to choose a starboard (odd-numbered) cabin. North Atlantic still cold in April. Sun will be on your balcony.

I like to be close to mid-ships because it potentially cuts the distance to anywhere you're going in half! However, a ship as big as the K'dam is not going to rock and roll in anything less than a near-hurricane, so fore or aft should not be a problem on that account.