St. John from St. Thomas recently?

cwb348

We will be on the Carnival Glory this May, and have been to St. Thomas three times before. Were thinking of doing either Sapphire Beach or St. John's on our own. Sapphire would be easier, but I've read that it is mostly closed now (dive shop, rest rooms) and that the owner has actually tried to barricade the entrance. Don't want to be an "ugly American" and sneak in, so are thinking of taking a cab to Red Hook ferry and then a cab to one of the beaches on St. John (have never been to St. John). We are docked from 10am to 6 pm, so it seems to me we'll have plenty of time. Has anyone done this recently, and would you do it again? Did you feel safe? Which beach would you recommend? We've heard mostly about Trunk or Cinnamon Bay, but are open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

We did Trunk Bay in october and was great even though the beach was officially closed due to govt shutdown.

Even managed to find the $ 2 bus/taxi to red hook.

Figure on cab from st john to beach and watch the times and it is very doable.

We will be on the Carnival Glory this May, and have been to St. Thomas three times before. Were thinking of doing either Sapphire Beach or St. John's on our own. Sapphire would be easier, but I've read that it is mostly closed now (dive shop, rest rooms) and that the owner has actually tried to barricade the entrance. Don't want to be an "ugly American" and sneak in, so are thinking of taking a cab to Red Hook ferry and then a cab to one of the beaches on St. John (have never been to St. John). We are docked from 10am to 6 pm, so it seems to me we'll have plenty of time. Has anyone done this recently, and would you do it again? Did you feel safe? Which beach would you recommend? We've heard mostly about Trunk or Cinnamon Bay, but are open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

We went to St. John's by ourselves in October. Getting there was half the fun.

When we debarked, we walked outside the gate and walked to the left to the K Mart. It was about a 15 minute walk. Right before the K Mart plaza there was a small side street. The bus stopped in front of a house. We made sure it was going to Red Hook. $2.00 pp. *see note below

Once we got to Red Hook, we purchased the tickets-$14 pp round trip, cash only. The ferry left every hour on the hour exactly. We saw a couple walk up just as the gangplank was being raised. They were not allowed to board.

20 minutes later we arrived at Cruz Bay. Another taxi, $6.00 pp, took us to Trunk Bay. Our first impression was, if we looked up the words "tropical paradise" in the dictionary, Trunk Bay would be the picture shown. It was stunning. The water was crystal clear all the way to the sand. There were no waves at all. We had our own snorkels and the snorkeling was great.

There is usually a small entrance fee ($4.00 pp?) but due to the gov't closure, there was no fee. There were lifeguards, though, who worked with no pay because they were concerned with swimmers' safely. There was also a grounds keeper who worked unpaid because he wanted the bathrooms and changing rooms clean for tourists. They were indeed spotless. There were also lockers available. I don't know if food is normally available.

We stayed for about four hours. We caught another taxi for $6.00 pp to Cruz Bay. We timed it so we didn't have to wait long for the next hour-on-the-hour ferry. 20 minutes back to Red Hook, and another taxi back to the port, $2.00 pp. This time the bus was full of local high school students. We learned that hs kids on St. Thomas are no different than hs students here in the States - texting, iPods, teasing, laughing, homework, etc.

*note-if you prefer, you can take a taxi from the port to Red Hook. $10.00 pp each direction but not as much fun as walking to K Mart.

Next time we sail to St. Thomas, we'll definitely do the exact same thing.

We didn't do it on our own, did a carnival excursion in January to trunk bay. Downside to that was we only had two hours there. They do have food there and alcoholic beverages, and a small gift shop. It's a beautiful beach.

Edited by kona_wahine

We didn't do it on our own, did a carnival excursion in January to trunk bay. Downside to that was we only had two hours there. They do have food there and alcoholic beverages, and a small gift shop. It's a beautiful beach.

We figured out that our cost was $30.00 pp. Carnival charged $69.95 pp for less time at the beach.

It was so easy going on our own. And that was our first attempt at visiting St. John's. If we could do it, anyone could do it.

We figured out that our cost was $30.00 pp. Carnival charged $69.95 pp for less time at the beach.

It was so easy going on our own. And that was our first attempt at visiting St. John's. If we could do it, anyone could do it.

We did the same thing you did and it was so much fun but the ferry ride freaked me out a little LOL. With the entrance fee and our chair rentals, we figured it was about $45/pp for the travel and day at the beach. Trunk Bay is by far the most beautiful place I've ever been and I would do it all over again too!

We just did sapphire beach in NOvember, so if it's changed since then I can't say but when we went it was open and they had a little bar to get food $$$$ and you could rent chairs under trees, etc...It is one beautiful place but I will tell you that there is lots and lots of coral mounds and it's hard to get into the water. If you are a proficient snorkler this might be ok but if you are getting in just to float around and enjoy the water it's not easy. There is only one small area of sandy entrance in front of the bar area. The water is also..umm washy, moves you back and forth so you (I) was in chest deep water and would be pushed onto coral (green grass covered slippery mounds that rise up pretty high). The place is gorgeous though but I was wishing we had gone to Meghan's Bay. It's beautiful and sandy and calmer. It's a national park I believe and there is a small charge to enter. Hope you find your perfect spot!

We went to St. John's by ourselves in October. Getting there was half the fun.

When we debarked, we walked outside the gate and walked to the left to the K Mart. It was about a 15 minute walk. Right before the K Mart plaza there was a small side street. The bus stopped in front of a house. We made sure it was going to Red Hook. $2.00 pp. *see note below

Once we got to Red Hook, we purchased the tickets-$14 pp round trip, cash only. The ferry left every hour on the hour exactly. We saw a couple walk up just as the gangplank was being raised. They were not allowed to board.

20 minutes later we arrived at Cruz Bay. Another taxi, $6.00 pp, took us to Trunk Bay. Our first impression was, if we looked up the words "tropical paradise" in the dictionary, Trunk Bay would be the picture shown. It was stunning. The water was crystal clear all the way to the sand. There were no waves at all. We had our own snorkels and the snorkeling was great.

There is usually a small entrance fee ($4.00 pp?) but due to the gov't closure, there was no fee. There were lifeguards, though, who worked with no pay because they were concerned with swimmers' safely. There was also a grounds keeper who worked unpaid because he wanted the bathrooms and changing rooms clean for tourists. They were indeed spotless. There were also lockers available. I don't know if food is normally available.

We stayed for about four hours. We caught another taxi for $6.00 pp to Cruz Bay. We timed it so we didn't have to wait long for the next hour-on-the-hour ferry. 20 minutes back to Red Hook, and another taxi back to the port, $2.00 pp. This time the bus was full of local high school students. We learned that hs kids on St. Thomas are no different than hs students here in the States - texting, iPods, teasing, laughing, homework, etc.

*note-if you prefer, you can take a taxi from the port to Red Hook. $10.00 pp each direction but not as much fun as walking to K Mart.

Next time we sail to St. Thomas, we'll definitely do the exact same thing.

You were lucky, when we were there during shutdown everything was closed and no lifeguard on duty.

There is a snackbar there but since it was closed no idea what it had to offer.

Is one gorgeous beach though.

It's too bad that the ships don't stay longer in STT. I've been going to St. John three times a year for almost 20 years (I have a place there) and there is so much to explore beyond Trunk Bay and the Northshore beaches but for a short time, Trunk usually wins with cruise ship people.!

The island is paradise...especially Coral Bay.

Pam

It's too bad that the ships don't stay longer in STT. I've been going to St. John three times a year for almost 20 years (I have a place there) and there is so much to explore beyond Trunk Bay and the Northshore beaches but for a short time, Trunk usually wins with cruise ship people.!

The island is paradise...especially Coral Bay.

Pam

Of all the ports I've been to ( and places near them), St. Johns is the one I'd like to go stay at for a week. It's beautiful and I would love to explore it :).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have just returned from the Freedom a couple of weeks ago and we went to St. Johns from St. Thomas.

We took a taxi from the ship and then the Ferry, then another taxi to Trunk. We watched the time and had a great day over at Trunk Bay.

I'm working on a review and am way past St. Thomas day, you can go and have a look, I have pictures also.

We did that trek many times. Taxi to Red Hook, Ferry to St John and then Taxi to Cinnamon bay (don't care for Trunk, too crowded).

For the two of us I started to think that what it cost and how long it took was not really worth it. It's 4 taxis and the ferry. So we started renting a car and just cruising around looking at the beaches and ended up having more fun.

We never book excursions through Carnival, but I found that the St John excursions are cheaper than doing it on your own. You get a couple less hours on the beach but it's easier and a lot cheaper.

We've done the Trunk Bay on our own deal twice. Wonderful!!! One thing about it - if the weather is bad no need to spend any money or time. We also did Coki Beach on St T twice and we loved that one too!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have done Trunk Bay on our own 2 yrs in a row. Awesome. The cost is $50 pp. Make sure you get the 9 am ferry from Red Hook and leave Trunk with at least 1 1/2 hrs before all aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Catch the 11am ferry over to St. John, reaching Trunk Bay around 11:30 or so, leave Trunk Bay around 2:30 to catch the 3:00 ferry back. That gives you plenty of time for some port shopping, or stay an extra hour at Trunk Bay. When we were there on our own last year, the ship excursions would drop people off there & then pick them up about 40 minutes later. Hardly any time at all. I guess some people have been lucky enough to get as much as 2 hours, but I wouldn't count on getting that much from a ship excursion. For the extra time there, I would always do it on our own. We haven't bothered with buses, as cabs are much easier (and more realiable if you want to be sure to catch the 11am ferry). So we paid about $50 each all together. No chair rentals, just put the towels in the sand under the trees. I would go here again & again & again. I wanted to go on my last cruise, but my friends wanted to stay on St Thomas.

Trunk Bay was totally spectacular both times I've been there! It & all of St. John is beyond beautiful!!! Trunk Bay has some amazing off-the-beach snorkeling, among the best I've seen anywhere. Although, for a cheaper and easier day on St. Thomas, go to Coki Beach. I went to Sapphire before it all got shut down, and it was nice, much nicer than Coki or Magens Bay. But Coki does have some amazing off-the-beach snorkeling as well, about as good or equal to what was at Trunk Bay. I was just at Coki in January.

Magens Bay was unbelievably crowded, and I'm not one who typically talks about things being crowded. Coki Beach was crowded in January, but not nearly as bad as Magens. Sapphire was not crowded at all, and I visited there the same day as I visited Magens, but as you know, they've ruined it there. Trunk Bay has not seemed that crowded either time I've been there. For someone looking for a mostly deserted beach with only a couple dozen others, they will feel crowded. For someone who typically goes to the more popular beaches at cruise stops, Trunk Bay will not seem crowded at all.

Thanks to all for your fabulous, detailed answers. I think we'll plan for St. Johns, but I appreciate the alternatives given, the reminder not to bother with it if the weather isn't too great, and the reminder to bring cash for the ferry! Only 60 more days!:)

We did that trek many times. Taxi to Red Hook, Ferry to St John and then Taxi to Cinnamon bay (don't care for Trunk, too crowded).

For the two of us I started to think that what it cost and how long it took was not really worth it. It's 4 taxis and the ferry. So we started renting a car and just cruising around looking at the beaches and ended up having more fun.

We never book excursions through Carnival, but I found that the St John excursions are cheaper than doing it on your own. You get a couple less hours on the beach but it's easier and a lot cheaper.

The day we went to St. John there were not more than 50 people on Trunk Bay.

As for cost, we paid $30 pp while the Carnival excursion was $69.95 pp. The Carnival folks arrived after us and were called to the buses a full hour before we left.

Taking four taxis and two ferries was definitely part of the adventure.

You were lucky, when we were there during shutdown everything was closed and no lifeguard on duty.

There is a snackbar there but since it was closed no idea what it had to offer.

Is one gorgeous beach though.

We sure were lucky. The beaches opened only a few days before our cruise began.