Mayanmar @ malaysia

dalliowner

Hi All

We are looking at the Sojourn cruise this December to this area we do not know that well. I notice there is a four day stay in Burma which seems a long time but is this good or bad. Advice on the other ports Langkawi , Lamut, Malacca, all in Malaysia. would be appreciated:)

Hi All

We are looking at the Sojourn cruise this December to this area we do not know that well. I notice there is a four day stay in Burma which seems a long time but is this good or bad. Advice on the other ports Langkawi , Lamut, Malacca, all in Malaysia. would be appreciated:)

Hmm, nobody replied yet. We looked at that cruise, we're still looking at it because it's well-priced and roundtrip Singapore, our home, no flights. If we do it we probably won't get off much and will treat it as a fun on-ship cruise. I would say about those ports if you haven't been to them before, or travelled much in asia, they are ok and worthwhile, but not spectacular. They are all lovely places to go vacationing, but don't in my opinion have the charm of mediterranean ports or even the walk-off-the-ship ability of the carribean.

If you like to get off the ship and go to a beach, there'll be some of that. Malacca as a town isn't bad to explore, there are probably a couple of excursions out on boats which will be fun if you like those at some of the other ports. We've done most of those things in the past and probably wouldn't do them again.

We don't understand the 4 days in Rangoon by the way. I'm assuming that people leave the ship and go on a land tour, but I didn't think those were usually that long, 2 days normally. From what I can see the port for that trip is the usual asian container port dock so it may not be entirely picturesque staying on the ship either. I notice that many cruise ships going to Myanmar stay 4 days, I wondered whether it's a government requirement or at least whether the lines get some good deal for staying longer.

We've stayed in Langkawi. It's essentially a resort island. Nice sunset sailing and swimming - but you probably won't be there for that. Best option is to walk around. There is a local ferry.

The issue with most ports in this region is that unless they are one of the larger cities they have no major attractions or tourism infrastructure unless you travel to other places eg Angor Wat, which might explain the long stop.

We just concluded a Sojourn Cruise. We had been to both of these places on land based trips, so didn't take any extended trips, etc., but at least you can see a few photos of the two port areas and Yangon. I would suggest private tours for anything more than just a quicky highlights tour. Seabourn tour prices are outrageously priced.

http://cliffphotos.com/SeabournSojournNovember2014b.html

The issue with most ports in this region is that unless they are one of the larger cities they have no major attractions or tourism infrastructure unless you travel to other places eg Angor Wat, which might explain the long stop.

Indeed - overnight I would understand, even 2 overnights I could just understand for people to have time to head into the interior of Myanmar, but I find it quite hard to believe anyone's getting off for an entire 4 day land trip. Currently however the excursions aren't showing for that trip so I don't know what Seabourn has planned.

For those not getting off, or just taking the 2 hour trip into town and back, it's going to be somewhat an unexciting 4 days.

Indeed - overnight I would understand, even 2 overnights I could just understand for people to have time to head into the interior of Myanmar, but I find it quite hard to believe anyone's getting off for an entire 4 day land trip. Currently however the excursions aren't showing for that trip so I don't know what Seabourn has planned.

For those not getting off, or just taking the 2 hour trip into town and back, it's going to be somewhat an unexciting 4 days.

If you are well prepared there is a lot to do in Myanmar. In fact we hope to go back and explore further inland.

On our recent cruise on Sojourn we had three days/two nights. on the first night we did the dinner/show in Yangon at a beautiful old colonial house by a lake. The next two days were a private tour and because we didn't wish to spend a lot of time travelling we opted to stay in town for the night at the Strand Hotel. A lovely old hotel similar to the Raffles. Other friends stayed at the hotel on the lake where the Royal Barge replica resides.

Other friends organised a private journey for the three days. This included a visit to Shwegedon Pagoda then an afternoon flight to Bagan. Exploring the temples and life in Bagan, including the early morning balloon flight to see the valley and the temples.

Friends who did the Seabourn journey to Bagan also enjoyed their tour but they had an very early morning flight to Bagan and didn't get to do the balloon flight.

I will finish my earlier blog including our three days in Myanmar which will include photos, hopefully this week. Unfortunately since my return in February I have been dealing with house painters/ two sons having wisdom teeth extractions/ overseas visitors and preparing for my upcoming surgery.

Life is never dull here!:eek::D

Dalliowner with regards to the other ports you mentioned. Langkawi we mainly did a beach day. We caught the complimentary shuttle to the duty free shop near the aquarium then turned right (when facing the shop) down the street about 8 minutes. Turn left through the cafes and there is the beach. Two loungers with an umbrella US$10 or Malaysian Ringitt 20(US$6). Since your doing a few Malaysian ports I would get some Ringitt and there is an ATM at the shop. The sand was white and clean, the water a beautiful blue and clear. The cafes had both western and Malaysian food available.

Lumut we just walked around at it was very quiet as it was a Friday........as it is a Muslim country many things were closed. There was a nice tourist information office on the main street that gave us a free bag with some brochures etc. The lady there mentioned there were two resorts about half an hour taxi drive where we could have got day passes, but it was a bit late for us by then. I will see if I can find the names for you.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

Of the 107 countries I have been to Myanmar is probably number 1. I was in China in 1980 as one of the first tour groups to visit from the U.S. after restrictions were eased and Myanmar reminds me of that experience except with much friendlier people.

I was there two years ago so it may have changed and I spent five nights in Yangon and never ran out of stuff to do, the tourism inferstructure is still being developed. There are holes in the streets and the sidewalks can be obstacle courses and that makes for an adventure. The site of monks at the most beautiful ornate temples is break taking. Seeing the Jewish Synagogue puts in perspective the history of the country. The remnants of its colonial heritage are still there in some of the grand old buildings like the Governors Residence.

I always venture off to places tourists donut go to. For example, riding the Circular Train on a three hour ride around Yangon was an incredible experience, I was the only westerner and all my pictures show people smiling, offering me fruit and trying out their English with me,

Cruise lines are expert in itinerary planning and if they plan for 2 or 3 days it's because there is a lot to see. A trip to Bagan is a must. The temples stretch for miles. This must be done as a two day trip.

I was just in Malaysia in January and again an incredible place. The ports mentioned are mostly beachy. Get to KL. It's a great city. The highlight for this cruise would be, without a doubt, your days spent in Myanmar.

Hi All

We are going on a 2016 cruise that stops in Myanmar, thus I have been following daily updates from 2 couples (John & Diane and Bill & Mary Ann) on the 2015 HAL world cruise. Both give very detailed reports about their daily activities. The 2 couples did entirely different trips in Myanmar - John & Diane did an overland trip to Bhutan with a balloon ride. Bill & Mary Ann did daily excursions. Reviewing their descriptions on the HAL board will give you a good perspective of what to do and see in Myanmar.

Hope this helps!

We are going on a 2016 cruise that stops in Myanmar, thus I have been following daily updates from 2 couples (John & Diane and Bill & Mary Ann) on the 2015 HAL world cruise. Both give very detailed reports about their daily activities. The 2 couples did entirely different trips in Myanmar - John & Diane did an overland trip to Bhutan with a balloon ride. Bill & Mary Ann did daily excursions. Reviewing their descriptions on the HAL board will give you a good perspective of what to do and see in Myanmar.

Hope this helps!

I think you mean Bagan not Bhutan. The balloon ride is a sunrise one over the temples and quite amazing.