Dress code for teens On Splender in MDR

Hockeymom1234

We will be travelling with our teen boys in Jan. They both usually where jeans and t-shirts when going out to dinner at home. Can they wear that in the MDR?

I don want to go shopping for clothes before the cruise that they will never wear again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be travelling with our teen boys in Jan. They both usually where jeans and t-shirts when going out to dinner at home. Can they wear that in the MDR?

I don want to go shopping for clothes before the cruise that they will never wear again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is not a separate dress code for kids. The dress code is the same for everyone. In saying that, its fine to wear jeans and a tee shirt on most nights in the MDR. However, on elegant nights jeans and tee shirts are not allowed.

Do they own black jeans or khakis?? Do they have one actual shirt with a collar anywhere in their wardrobes?

That is really all that is required on Carnival. One pair of slacks(or black jeans that could pass as slacks) and one shirt with a collar.

It is not very restrictive.

There is not a separate dress code for kids. The dress code is the same for everyone. In saying that, its fine to wear jeans and a tee shirt on most nights in the MDR. However, on elegant nights jeans and tee shirts are not allowed.

You are correct but indeed for children if they were wearing very nice jeans with a shirt that has a collar I don't think anyone would say anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

My son wore khaki shorts or pants and a polo shirt most nights. He took two polo shirts and alternated them for dinner. Formal night was khaki pants and a shirt with a tie but he loves dressing up and is used to it because of basketball (they have to dress up on game days), DECA, and to go out for a nice dinner with his girlfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are correct but indeed for children if they were wearing nice jeans with a shirt that has a collar on formal night I don't think anyone would say anything. I myself have worn black jeans with a blouse on formal night. My luggage was lost by the airline so I went on a cruise with only the contents of one backpack. No one complained about my black jeans.

Note I tried to edit and accidentally push repeat post

Edited by Jana60

There's a dress code? Hard to tell nowadays. What used to be considered Business Casual or even Smart Casual is now considered Elegant or Formal at *some* places.

As long as there aren't holes in the jeans, they can wear them to the dining room on Cruise Elegant night when combined with a polo/collared shirt.

Avoid at all costs wearing a cowboy hat to the dining room, though. KAN doesn't appreciate it.

Edited by Baymax

Just got off the Freedom about a week ago and I noticed more people dressed very nicely than the few that just wore their everyday clothing on cruise elegant nights (two). It was a big difference actually on the Freedom from what I saw on the Imagination a year ago August.

You are correct but indeed for children if they were wearing very nice jeans with a shirt that has a collar I don't think anyone would say anything.

I would say something to the MD, if I was on your cruise.

I would say something to the MD, if I was on your cruise.

Seriously? I personally wore jeans, as I previously stated, due to my luggage being left behind! If the cruise line didn't wish me to participate in the cruise due to my lack of luggage they were welcome to pay me back my fair and fly me home. I cruise 4-5 times a year. Since I'm a very good customer I can guarantee you they will not turn me away from the dining room! Indeed another girls luggage was left behind on the same cruise and she went the entire week wearing a sundress over a bikini. The cruise line did not exclude her from any activity.

Quite frankly I don't understand your concern. It would be different if someone went to the dining room wearing a tank top with their armpit hair hanging out or were dirty and smelled bad!!! Otherwise I would think it would be only the individual who should be embarrassed if underdressed and not any concern of yours.

Edited by Jana60

Then you have your head in the sand if you think Carnival cruisers are anything but casual in appearance.

There's a huge variety of attire on Carnival...a large range actually. There are the casual, to those that like to have the one or two cruise elegant nights to really get themselves dolled up. The bottom line for me is I concern myself with what I'm wearing and if the hubby wants my opinion on his attire I give that, but I really don't feel how anyone else chooses to dress affects my cruise experiences.

well MY teenage daughter is excited about wearing her prom dress on "elegant" night...we normally sail on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity and she would be just fine on either line. Hope she doesn't feel out of place on Carnival.

Just for the record, I personally don't think jeans and a t shirt should be allowed in the dining room for ANY age guy on an elegant night. How is a t shirt "elegant"?? It won't kill a teenage boy to put on a collared dress shirt occasionally--and the girls love a "sharp dressed man"! By the way, a golf shirt isn't "elegant" either!

well MY teenage daughter is excited about wearing her prom dress on "elegant" night...we normally sail on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity and she would be just fine on either line. Hope she doesn't feel out of place on Carnival.

Just for the record, I personally don't think jeans and a t shirt should be allowed in the dining room for ANY age guy on an elegant night. How is a t shirt "elegant"?? It won't kill a teenage boy to put on a collared dress shirt occasionally--and the girls love a "sharp dressed man"! By the way, a golf shirt isn't "elegant" either!

A polo is considered business casual, which is enough to satisfy the technically "smart casual" requirement for Cruise Elegant evening.

She's not going to feel out of place. I saw plenty of young ladies wearing prom type dresses, slightly older gals wearing bridesmaid type dresses, and older women wearing what I would consider mother-of-the bride dresses. Just curious though, (I've asked this question before and haven't really read any responses) how does what someone else chooses to wear (jeans for example) affect your ability to enjoy yourself on the cruise, or even impact your experience in anyway?

She's not going to feel out of place. I saw plenty of young ladies wearing prom type dresses, slightly older gals wearing bridesmaid type dresses, and older women wearing what I would consider mother-of-the bride dresses. Just curious though, (I've asked this question before and haven't really read any responses) how does what someone else chooses to wear (jeans for example) affect your ability to enjoy yourself on the cruise, or even impact your experience in anyway?

It doesn't affect mine.