Norwegian Fjords

JARO2304

Are you looking at Hurtigruten, or someone else?

Hi Thom

This is our first ever cruise and we are looking for advice re where to go in the fjords and best cruise ships. We do not want anything too formal,a more relaxed atmosphere would suit us

Hi Thom

This is our first ever cruise and we are looking for advice re where to go in the fjords and best cruise ships. We do not want anything too formal,a more relaxed atmosphere would suit us

As you probably know, Norway (where we have been four times) is probably the most expensive country in the world, so cruises are an effective way to go. April is ahead of the main cruise season in Norway, but the fjords are beautiful anytime (well, maybe not quite so much so in a fog bank). Two years ago (May 2012; a time selected to give us several days of no sunsets north of the Arctic Circle, but somewhat less than full high season prices) we did the 11 night round trip from Bergen to the Russian border on Hurtigruten (the daily coastal steamer). It functions as both a ferry and a (sort of) cruise ship and is very informal. I had been looking at this trip for probably 20 years, and finally went despite its high Norwegian price. I'm glad I went, but for the expense you get lots of gorgeous scenery, rather basic but comfortable accommodations and very little of normal cruise amenities. Essiesmom has given you some good leads on options in addition to Hurtigruten. Whatever way you go, I give a very high rating to the Fjords.

Thom

Hi, and welcome....from now on, watch the right hand corner of the BBC weather forecast, and see what the weather's like as it passes across from you in Scotland to Norway....think Shetland Isles, weather wise!

If it's C&M's latest ship, I'd be very interested in your experience.

You probably know how expensive it is in Norway, but it's worth it for what you see. Choose your cabin carefully, so that you can sit inside and watch the fjords going past, when it's really cold. Last May, we made full use of fleeces and padded anoraks for out on deck, but we also saw the expanses of snow on the mountains before the summer melt.

Have a wonderful time, whatever.

We really enjoy cruising Norway and the fjords, but would not generally recommend doing it in April. Depending on your itinerary you will be close (or inside) the Arctic Circle where it can still be pretty chilly in April. We think the best time to be in those waters is in mid June to mid July when you will usually have more mild weather plus the midnight sun.

Hank

We are thinking about going on our first cruise in April to the Norwegian Fjords. Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

This was our most beautiful cruise, and several years later I still can't stop talking about it. We took sandwiches and water off the ship - they don't check in Norway, and walked off with a map, visiting museums and taking local rides. We felt safe there, and most if not all speak English.

Our cruise was in May, if you can go later than April, the weather will be much better. If you can move your trip to June, even better.

You can think of Hurtigruten as the Norwegian equivalent of the Alaska Marine Highway. It serves the same function.
There definitely are similarities, but it is my impression that a lot more people treat Hurtigruten as a closed-loop cruise, booking a round trip cabin, than on the Alaska Marine Highway. I asked if the OP was looking at Hurtigruten since OP talked about traveling in April; Hurtigruten has most of the offerings then.

Thom

Thank you for all your replies. Unfortunately with my job April is the only time we can go. We have now booked with P&O sailing from Southampton on 25th April on the Britannia stopping at Bergen,Olden,Flaam and Stavenger. Any more advice would be great.

Thank you for all your replies. Unfortunately with my job April is the only time we can go. We have now booked with P&O sailing from Southampton on 25th April on the Britannia stopping at Bergen,Olden,Flaam and Stavenger. Any more advice would be great.
The views through the windows will be great, but don't compare to seeing the full expanse from the open deck. Dress in layers, and be prepared for rain, snow and sunshine - maybe in the same hour! The Floibanen funicular in Bergen provides nice views. ENJOY!

Thom