What clothes to pack for Azamara Journey-South America and Falkland Islands?

COLED

Hi, we are Ed and Colette from Orland Park, Ill and Jupiter, Florida. Looking forward to this cruise. Have heard that it's really cold where we are going and that there are no formal nights on this cruise. Does anyone have specifics regarding what kind of clothes to bring?

We did this last year. Wonderful cruise. You need a couple of warm weather outfits for Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Puerto Madryn. For the Antarctic cruising you will need a warm waterproof jacket, gloves, hat, fleece. Layering is the best. I feel the cold so I had thermal leggings, thermal tights, vests and warm jumpers and I bought them and thermal socks for my DH too and despite some initial reluctance he was glad I had. It's the wind which is the coldest. Good to have a hooded jacket which will cover the lower part of your face as wind chill will burn your face. Jeans don't keep you legs warm so we had wool trousers. If you are lucky like we were and see lots of wildlife you will be on deck most of the time. The crew come round with hot chocolate with rum/brandy in if you wish plus hot soup.

For dinner we just wore what we normally would on Azamara in the evening. Take your camera to dinner you never know what is floating or swimming by.

We did manage to land on the Falklands but weather can be unpredictable so don't be disappointed if it's not possible. You need good strong shoes/boots for going ashore there if going to see penguins. Also we didn't make Ushuaia or Cape Horn due to weather. The authorities closed the port at Ushuaia so we couldn't dock. The majority of the time the weather was good but we had a very rough trip to Ushuaia.

Enjoy the cruise we loved every minute, even the rough seas.

Layering is the best advice. And do not forget gloves and ear muffs or a hat. If you get a sunny day with no wind even tho the temperature will be cold it will still feel warm out. It gets really cold when the wind is blowing. Enjoy, it is a great adventure. If you do make it to the Falklands, be sure to go see the penguins and when you are with them, bend low so you are not standing. If you are standing, they think you are a tree and walk around you. If you are their height, they will come closer. Just remember, no touching !!

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

We did this last year. Wonderful cruise. You need a couple of warm weather outfits for Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Puerto Madryn. For the Antarctic cruising you will need a warm waterproof jacket, gloves, hat, fleece. Layering is the best. I feel the cold so I had thermal leggings, thermal tights, vests and warm jumpers and I bought them and thermal socks for my DH too and despite some initial reluctance he was glad I had. It's the wind which is the coldest. Good to have a hooded jacket which will cover the lower part of your face as wind chill will burn your face. Jeans don't keep you legs warm so we had wool trousers. If you are lucky like we were and see lots of wildlife you will be on deck most of the time. The crew come round with hot chocolate with rum/brandy in if you wish plus hot soup.

For dinner we just wore what we normally would on Azamara in the evening. Take your camera to dinner you never know what is floating or swimming by.

We did manage to land on the Falklands but weather can be unpredictable so don't be disappointed if it's not possible. You need good strong shoes/boots for going ashore there if going to see penguins. Also we didn't make Ushuaia or Cape Horn due to weather. The authorities closed the port at Ushuaia so we couldn't dock. The majority of the time the weather was good but we had a very rough trip to Ushuaia.

Enjoy the cruise we loved every minute, even the rough seas.

I was on this cruise too. The clue was Ushuaia- we had a huge storm-rock and roll-ship night. .watch my rum bottle rool around cabin for a while... Falklands was warmer then i thought at the penguins. . wore close shoes but nothing special. i find terminal underware it great.. falklands got so warm after tour i put my terminals in my tote bag and was just fine. sun makes the difference.

heat is on - i got warm and glad i have some summer dinner dresses to eat and to dance in.

• 1 month later...

Re: What to pack...I think we are all set regarding warm layered clothing for the out of doors and touring.

But what kind of clothes are needed for on the ship, going to dinner. Is it summer, short sleeve, shorts or is it more like Fall clothing. Lighter or darker colors? Any help will be most appreciated.

COLED

Colette and Ed

Re: What to pack...I think we are all set regarding warm layered clothing for the out of doors and touring.

But what kind of clothes are needed for on the ship, going to dinner. Is it summer, short sleeve, shorts or is it more like Fall clothing. Lighter or darker colors? Any help will be most appreciated.

COLED

Colette and Ed

Hi Colette and Ed,

We are on this cruise as well. Layers are definitely the way to go. January temperatures in the Antarctic peninsula range from 5c to -5c. A tip from our guide in the Falklnds - bring sunscreen as the uv is very high this time of year. There is a very active roll call for this cruise. You may want to check it out.

As for dress on board, "country club" casual is the norm. Men do not need jackets or ties for the MDR and women can wear pants (no jeans). Most people dress up a little more for the specialty restaurants. If you do not feel like changing after a busy day ashore, Windows Cafe is casual. For breakfast and lunch, dress is casual. I believe the dress code is described on Azamara's website.

See you on board! Lois

COLED

Colette and Ed

i do understand what you are asking. i wore sleeveles dresses as ifind he heat on ship in general to warm for me.. i always carried a shawl... if i really wanted to go on deck at night for a fast picture i run but for any nightt time views you need your layers. i never wore shorts as i refuse to at night... i wore light colors as i packed only summer colors for dinner in the warm ports. some peopel are always cold and others are not.

I have been on the SA route in Feb. on a larger ship. I had my winter coat because of the weather starting out in Jan. Maryland. Yeah! it was a God-send. So layers with a good windbreaking coat on top. Hat that pulls down over your ears and gloves and a scarf to tie the hood tight. You will probably want to be on deck for beautiful scenery through the fjords of Chile and to go see the penguins on Falkland Islands and that means you are on the water and possible wind from speed and nature. At any time you can get a wind from the icy direction and nothing stops it! NO LAND or anything to slow it down or warm it up:D. My voyage to New Zealand last year in Feb. also confirmed that a coat hat and gloves are worth their packing weight.

For dinner and other things on the ship, I find O customers wear fairly nice clothing much closer to Talbots or Nordstrom casual than Wal-Mart Sear Penney. Hope that helps. My last cruise, MIA to MIA had mostly older couples and the ladies wore more dresses than I was expecting -- but then that fits the above 76 average age demographic. On my Feb. Quest this year to Asia I am taking a black skirt/black dress pants/black lace dress with several nylon light weight toppers that will go with all 3 -- and a silver belt that changes the look of dress and skirt some. I swear I will not take more than 40 pounds to haul around from Bali to Tokyo!

Slightly off topic, but a travel tidbit ... when you're in Bs.As. and Punta del Este, you'll gain points with the locals by referring to the islands as Las Malvinas instead of The Falklands.

Of course when you're in the Falklands, that is the name the locals prefer.

Slightly off topic, but a travel tidbit ... when you're in Bs.As. and Punta del Este, you'll gain points with the locals by referring to the islands as Las Malvinas instead of The Falklands.

Whilst you might gain points from some you will seriously upset and offend guests from the UK of a certain age. In the Falkland it's not a case of prefer it is much stronger.

I am afraid given circumstances I am in the group you offend, sorry

Whilst you might gain points from some you will seriously upset and offend guests from the UK of a certain age. In the Falkland it's not a case of prefer it is much stronger.

I am afraid given circumstances I am in the group you offend, sorry

I would never call it anything but the FALKLANDS!!! All Americans use that term for that country

When you say the locals, that would be the people who consider themselves to be British, I agree it is best to avoid discussing the islands altogether when in Argentina, but I don't need to "gain points" or hopefully need lessons in diplomacy.

:eek:I just wish you good luck in being able to go to this very far away place. We were allowed to dock and enter from Rio/B.A. direction (going south) but the cruises on either side of ours coming FROM Chile were not allowed to land because Argentina would not allow the ship to then call at ports in Argentina because of the Falklands landing. Also it is a tricky place to dock/anchor and one of our boat's tenders rammed a pier and one of the "Dam" (Holland America)ship's tenders sideswiped another of our tenders -- all when the weather changed very fast. This is one of the most frequently bypassed ports with the politics and the weather. Wonderful and memorable ride in the Land Rovers out to the penguin colony where I had my coat "pecked" by a penguin on the way to the loo!:eek: Totally wonderful place but I would not want to live there. 6 months of the year can not drive on the one road.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

• 3 weeks later...

I will be on the Azamara cruise to The Falklands [and Antarctica] in January 2015. I see that there are a few penguin excursions available: Bluff Cove Lagoon, Rockhoppers at Berkeley Sound, and Sparrow Cove.

Any tips on the advantages of some over the others?

I will be on the Azamara cruise to The Falklands [and Antarctica] in January 2015. I see that there are a few penguin excursions available: Bluff Cove Lagoon, Rockhoppers at Berkeley Sound, and Sparrow Cove.

Any tips on the advantages of some over the others?

my group did a private tour. .do not remember the name but it was great.. just goggle it.. we had no ship tours near us.

funny i keep hearing ho it is hard to get there. .but we had a great sunny day and afterwards i shopped and had a pint.

Thank you for your reply. My question wasn't really intended to be how to get there [private tour vs. ship excursion]; but rather, where is the best for sights and wildlife [read: penguins]. Is one area is better than another? For example, is a trip to Berkeley Sound better than one to Bluff Cove Lagoon?

Thank you for your reply. My question wasn't really intended to be how to get there [private tour vs. ship excursion]; but rather, where is the best for sights and wildlife [read: penguins]. Is one area is better than another? For example, is a trip to Berkeley Sound better than one to Bluff Cove Lagoon?

We did a private tour to Volunteer Point which was marvelous: Gentoos, magellanics and King penguins. I definitely recommend taking a tour which says it has King penguins. They are like slightly smaller Emperors; absolutely marvelous. The Gentoos were fun to watch.

One of the ship tours went to a place with rockhoppers but no kings. The rockhoppers are cute, but I'd go with the kings any time. I think Bluff cove is supposed to have kings.

Jay

We did a private tour to Volunteer Point which was marvelous: Gentoos, magellanics and King penguins. I definitely recommend taking a tour which says it has King penguins. They are like slightly smaller Emperors; absolutely marvelous. The Gentoos were fun to watch.

One of the ship tours went to a place with rockhoppers but no kings. The rockhoppers are cute, but I'd go with the kings any time. I think Bluff cove is supposed to have kings.

Jay

I think i d othis tour as I saw lots of King's. they a very tall compared to others.