Our Hotels are not on the SAS shuttle list in FT Lauderdale - how to get to POM

tbbtravels

We have used Priceline Express Deals again.

As usual they gave us great deals on some new to us hotels.

We were given Riverside pre-cruise $102 and taxes

and Hyatt Regency Pier 66 @$69 and taxes for our post cruise.

Now my problem is that they are not on the hotel list for SAS or other shuttles I have looked at.

So how do I get to and from POM since most of the shuttles don't service those hotels?

Edited by tbbtravels

eandj - I thought about taking the taxi back to the airport - but that would just add more expense to this trip. I am trying to keep our spending low. I like the shuttles but neither hotel has one from the airport to the hotel. So that's more money to begin the trip with getting a taxi to the hotel.

Edited by tbbtravels

Uber I'd guess would run around $50 per posters here. With just two you don't need a large car.

Cab will run $75-80.

A cab to the airport about $15. Plus shared shuttle $15 each.

My numbers are estimates. But you can see in your case, Uber door to port service is a good ride choice.

Edited by eandj

Thanks so much.

I know nothing about uber. Are you familiar with it? I live in the boonies.

Hopefully others will chime in. First step is to download the Uber app on your smart phone. If no smart phone, no user! That is as far as I have gotten in the process!

Thanks adorabelle,

I checked out qls and it doesn't go to my hotels. The goairport shuttle I was doing it wrong. It shows $97 and $112.00. That is too much for us on this cruise.

mamabear55 I am watching utube now on how to use uber. I really know nothing about it. I don't usually use internet on my phone because of my plan. But I do have a smart phone and will have to use internet to do uber.

Edited by tbbtravels

ok, after too many utubes videos to count - uber looks scary. I don't think my big girl panties are big enough for Uber. Especially after the surge stuff. I am afraid that I am not computer literate enough to navigate it since I don't get on the internet much on my phone. Apps scare me too.

Guess I need to call SAS and ask them what is the nearest hotel they will pick up from with staying at Riverside pre cruise. Then to take me from POM to Pier 66 post cruise - what's the closest hotel they will take me to.

Thanks for the input guys!

Edited by tbbtravels

Crowne Plaza would be the best hotel to get picked up from IMO. You don't have to cross any drawbridges to get there and it will be on the right side going south on US1, and you can avoid the 17th St traffic.

On your way back from the port to Hyatt Pier 66, the best hotel drop off IMO would be Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th St. It's 4 blocks from Hyatt and it's on the right side of the street so you won't have to U-turn in the taxi. You could even walk if you don't mind, or maybe the shuttle driver would be willing to take you straight to your hotel for an extra tip, since it's so close. I think SAS avoids the Hyatt because it's across a drawbridge and that can slow their schedule down.

Have you tried calling your hotels to see if they have any shuttles that service them?

I've never been to a Hyatt that couldn't arrange transportation.

Thanks. Yeah I looked. They have it posted what their rates are for private shuttles. It's high like prices of the limo shuttle place. Really I was just hunting a cheap option to get to Port of Miami. I will call next week and check with SAS about a pick up at the non list hotel or what they recommend.

Was hoping uber was my answer. But I am just too afraid of Uber with surge rates and my inexperience on smart phones and apps.

Crowne Plaza would be the best hotel to get picked up from IMO. You don't have to cross any drawbridges to get there and it will be on the right side going south on US1, and you can avoid the 17th St traffic.

On your way back from the port to Hyatt Pier 66, the best hotel drop off IMO would be Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th St. It's 4 blocks from Hyatt and it's on the right side of the street so you won't have to U-turn in the taxi. You could even walk if you don't mind, or maybe the shuttle driver would be willing to take you straight to your hotel for an extra tip, since it's so close. I think SAS avoids the Hyatt because it's across a drawbridge and that can slow their schedule down.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks. Yeah I looked. They have it posted what their rates are for private shuttles. It's high like prices of the limo shuttle place. Really I was just hunting a cheap option to get to Port of Miami. I will call next week and check with SAS about a pick up at the non list hotel or what they recommend.

Was hoping uber was my answer. But I am just too afraid of Uber with surge rates and my inexperience on smart phones and apps.

I agree with your opinion about Uber. I used it for the first time from FLL to the MIA Embassy Suites. I probably would not have done it but for some of the more tech savvy 20 somethings in our group of 7.

I did come to the conclusion that there are a surplus of transportation options in South Florida. Between Uber (always seems to be available), taxis, shuttles and limos it's hard to believe you will have difficulties finding a ride. If you are going with shuttles just call or email some of them. We used SAS for our trip back to FLL from the Port of Miami. They were good, but again there are shuttles everywhere. I wouldn't limit myself to them. Check around.

Edited by przyk

przyk,

Thank you and it's more of a ride but a cheap ride. I have been checking with the other shuttles and options listed in this thread.

I will be working on SAS Monday to see if I can pay extra for the hotel pick or going to the suggested hotel for pick up

2nd with Uber - I figure I can get someone to help me in the hotel or I may set it up prior to leaving and figure out how to cancel if it is surging prices.

3rd would be biting the bullet and paying the $100 plus for the hotel concierge shuttle service.

Edited by tbbtravels

przyk,

2nd with Uber - I figure I can get someone to help me in the hotel or I may set it up prior to leaving and figure out how to cancel if it is surging prices.

You will know when you open the app if Uber is charging surge pricing or not.

It will tell you.

When you click on your phone it will cover your screen and say 4X or whatever the price it is charging. If you don't see that, it will not be charging extra.

You will not need to cancel.

Firstly, download the app and start playing around with it.

Take a ride in your own city first.

You can order a car for five blocks or so then walk home.

Set up Uber before you leave - if a dinosaur like me can figure it out you'll be fine! ;)

Thank you. Think I am gonna try it from the Ft Lauderdale airport. After we get luggage should be 7 pm or so.

blueherons - I am in rural area, very rural. We don't even have a traffic light. But I wished i could play with it. Tried watching some utube but that didn't help me.

Thanks so much on the surge info. I am scared of it because I haven't seen on and can't play around with it till we get to Ft Lauderdale. I think we will try it from the Airport that night. Or maybe when we get to the hotel.

Edited by tbbtravels

Just take an Uber from Riverside Hotel to Crowne Plaza for an estimated $5-$7, then SAS to POM. I can't imagine that you will find any options for less than that to POM. Even if you can't use the Uber app for some reason, if you use a taxi to the Crowne Plaza you aren't talking a lot of money, as it's less than 4 miles.

• 1 month later...

royalcruz and to everyone that responded to this thread - I thank you. We had an awesome trip. We did use SAS transport with a taxi to the suggested hotels. After the cruise we took an uber to the airport. Was so easy that I really wished I had used Uber the whole time.

Thank you guys for the help!

Edited by tbbtravels