Um..problems with..um.."the runs?"

benjispice

How is the water on the ship? (We're going on the Summit, but Celebrity's reputation in general is fine to share). Should we get Dukarol before we go (the anti-diarrhea pill).

I know when travelling in the Caribbean, some people can get the runs, so I was curious about any problems anyone may have had (especially since we are getting the frozen drink package, which is a lot of ice/water).:eek:

According the the CDAC the hight risk spots for travelers diarrhea are "developing countries of Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia."

You can certainly drink the tap water on the ship, and in countless trips around the Carribean I have not had a problem with the water/ice. The exception is that I avoid drinking tap water/consuming ice in Central America.

more info here: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/travelersdiarrhea_g.htm#prophylaxis

We took the Dukarol "shots" (not sure of the correct term, because it is actually a liquid to drink not an injection) some years ago before a trip to China. Now we have a single booster dose every year and have never had any problems on our travels. Maybe it is luck, maybe the Dukarol, but we think it is worthwhile.

Sheila

I am no doctor but I am pretty sure the last thing you would want to do would be to stop your body from getting rid of the virus/bacteria. You get the "runs" for a reason...best to let it out. :eek:

Jenn

How is the water on the ship? (We're going on the Summit, but Celebrity's reputation in general is fine to share). Should we get Dukarol before we go (the anti-diarrhea pill).

I know when travelling in the Caribbean, some people can get the runs, so I was curious about any problems anyone may have had (especially since we are getting the frozen drink package, which is a lot of ice/water).:eek:

How is the water on the ship? :eek:

I can guarantee you that the water onboard ANY cruise ship is safe and clean. That goes for the ice, the drinks, the tap, whatever.

With that said, you should always travel with a small bag of OTC meds for any problem that may arise... seasickness, stomach problems, sleeping problems, headaches, sunburn, hangover..... it MAY ALL happen, and you want to be prepared! :eek:

Sometimes when i travel (and i have heard of many others) we get very excited.Our bodies are travelling at 500 mile per hour on a aircraft on a 13 hour+ flight from ie Sydney and before boarding and adjusting to time etc.For a 1 off i have had a short bout of loose bowel movement.

My friend stupidly in a seperate voyage admitted this on the boarding questionair and was refused boarding until 3 days later.He was treated so badly by the RCCL Boarding agent.This was at 11am.He wasnt allowed to use the phone,he was offered no food or drink and was left helpless by the RCCL agent.His bag was aboard and wasnt returned till 6pm.

Next morning he went to a local GP who declared there was nothing wrong with him and was given the appropriate Doctors Certificate to travel.

My point is.Dont tell the Shipping Line how your feeling re our subject matter otherwise they WILL REFUSE you boarding.

The cost to him was 3 days of hotels + a flight to the next port along with transfers and the local GP.

It didnt pay to be honest.

How is the water on the ship? (

Do you honestly think the cruiselines would have ships sailing about with dubious water quality? They would be out of business in a single sailing...the water on them is perfectly fine ....so drink it

I always pack Immodium as they do not sell it on the ship. You have to go to the Dr onboard to diagnose you.

The water onboard is very good. Just be careful in the ports.

The ports are the spot to watch out for. Had an incident in Dominica last year, after a shore excursion, they gave us coconut and fruit to eat. Big mistake. Cost me 24 hours in bed. So, would suggest you refuse locally cut fruit in ports/excursions. Was lucky I didn't get quarantined for 48 hours, which they do if they suspect norovirus

The ports are the spot to watch out for. Had an incident in Dominica last year, after a shore excursion, they gave us coconut and fruit to eat. Big mistake. Cost me 24 hours in bed. So, would suggest you refuse locally cut fruit in ports/excursions. Was lucky I didn't get quarantined for 48 hours, which they do if they suspect norovirus

Wow! When we're walking around or touring in the islands, I always tease DH because he's such a germaphobe/cautious Nelly and won't ever agree to eat or drink anything other than bottled beer or soda. Meanwhile, I'm wanting to stop at every roadside booth and sample the fruit, drinks, conch, or whatever's on the menu! We did have a horrible experience (3 days worth :eek:) once in Mexico and he's never gotten over it. Hearing your story, PSL Ag, now I'm glad that he always wins.

Having said that, there is no problem on the ships. As mentioned above, you run a much greater risk of catching something from another person.

i was there in jan and ate the above and was fine.. ddi you eat or drink anything else??

Dukoral is an oral vaccine for Cholera. It isn't effective for any other diseases.

Wish I had known about this years ago when we lived in Italy and often visited Naples. Vibrio.cholera is found in even cooked shellfish from the Bay due to ancient sewer systems. Healthy weaterners are advised to stay hydrated and it will be over in 3 days. Or you can take antibiotics and be better in 3 days...

I have problems with the tap water in places like Florida and Texas. If you have an easily disrupted stomach take Immodium along and stick to bottled water. Just be prepared for a bill of $9.20 a day for 2 large bottles of Evian in your room a day which includes the 15% gratuity.

W

I have problems with the tap water in places like Florida and Texas. If you have an easily disrupted stomach take Immodium along and stick to bottled water. Just be prepared for a bill of $9.20 a day for 2 large bottles of Evian in your room a day which includes the 15% gratuity.

Small price to pay, no?;)

Archived