What's the entertainment like post Siglo?

BasandSyb

Hi, we've cruised the PG regularly for the past 7 years. Are due to book again soon and just heard that Siglo left last October. We really missed Hal Fraser and his boots still haven't been filled. Without Siglo it won't be the PG. They learned Four Strong Winds for us especially years ago and play it for us on the Moorea - Papeete home run. We understand it became a mainstay on this windy run. Much like "Africa" when doing the Taha'a sail away. We are wondering if this is too much change for us. We also miss Dominic and Laksman.:eek:

Yes, I hate this too--I'm tempted to book Oceania Marina just so I can see Siglo, but knowing that contracts are unpredictable in length, would probably miss them! My big memory is standing on the deck watching the roulottes, talking to 18-year-old Henwen (now an emeritus gauguine), listening to Siglo playing a disco song, and suddenly realizing the ship was moving away from the dock. This was my very first cruise and so many details are embedded in my brain.

In 2008 we had the experience already of a Hal-less, Siglo-less PG--we had a good pianoman replacement (he was good singer too), but the band onboard was pathetic, really not good at all. But the overall ship experience wasn't really terribly affected. Yes, on our Taha'a sail-by (we were on the Marquesas route), we missed having Siglo playing on deck, but it was okay.

And let's face it, things change--I felt like it was a big change when the Gauguines no longer performed in L'Etoile and Apicius at night, moving among the tables with their ukeleles. Then Apicius went away too. Then Franco went awa (altho we've seen him on RSSC Navigator several times since.) But the PG is still the PG, without Siglo as well.

And I'm going to find out if all this is still true since the takeover, in, hm, let's see...16 months!

Thanks all. We look forward to hearing. We know things have to change, but if you've done the area a number of times some things become part of your soul...like Siglo's music and the light during the Taha'a sail away. We've emailed the boys and they are on Oceania Marina until May 26 and then on Oceania Riviera in July. We too thought about a quick Oceania cruise to check things out.

Yes, I hate this too--I'm tempted to book Oceania Marina just so I can see Siglo, but knowing that contracts are unpredictable in length, would probably miss them! My big memory is standing on the deck watching the roulottes, talking to 18-year-old Henwen (now an emeritus gauguine), listening to Siglo playing a disco song, and suddenly realizing the ship was moving away from the dock. This was my very first cruise and so many details are embedded in my brain.

In 2008 we had the experience already of a Hal-less, Siglo-less PG--we had a good pianoman replacement (he was good singer too), but the band onboard was pathetic, really not good at all. But the overall ship experience wasn't really terribly affected. Yes, on our Taha'a sail-by (we were on the Marquesas route), we missed having Siglo playing on deck, but it was okay.

And let's face it, things change--I felt like it was a big change when the Gauguines no longer performed in L'Etoile and Apicius at night, moving among the tables with their ukeleles. Then Apicius went away too. Then Franco went awa (altho we've seen him on RSSC Navigator several times since.) But the PG is still the PG, without Siglo as well.

And I'm going to find out if all this is still true since the takeover, in, hm, let's see...16 months!

I talked with the guys and they leave on Vacation May 26th for 2 months, so check out before you book if your going just to see them

Mike

I talked with the guys and they leave on Vacation May 26th for 2 months, so check out before you book if your going just to see them

Mike

Thanks Mike, I wouldn't really do that, just kidding. These things are pretty hard to predict. Now if they were switching to Riviera after their vacation, then that would be excellent news!

For those of you coming back from the PG please let us know your thoughts about the new band and piano man. My wife and I cruised the PG for the first time in August 2011. On that cruise we met Jamie Lawrence a professional musician who grew up on Maui. Jamie played several times on our cruise as he and his wife Laurie had a friendship with the Cruise Director Verity Brown from a previous cruise. We have stayed in contact with Jamie and Laurie and the rumor is that Jamie has been asked to perform on several PG cruises in 2014. He is an amazing artist so when we hear when he will be part of the entertainment on the PG we will be signing up! For those of you that were on that cruise that might be on these boards you know how Jamie stepped up the entertainment value on that cruise. He was great with Siglo as his back up band. I will certainly miss Siglo on our next PG cruise. I'd book a cruise on another line just to be on the same ship with Siglo again. Great band and a great group of guys!

• 4 months later...

It is official. Jamie Lawrence a very talented Maui musician will be part of the entertainment on the January 4th and November 22nd cruises on the PG. We are currently planning on booking the November 22nd cruise so we can see Jamie perform again. This should really step up the entertainment value of these two cruises. Google Jamie Lawrence and you can listen to some of his work online.

Edited by cmalagngl

The new band is Santa Rosa. They are pretty good.

Love Dan Murphy.

We don't dance but the music seemed danceable.

You better make sure they "Santa Rosa" are not on a break, we were on the 11 day cook island trip in August and the replacement band was..., I want to be kind but really they not even on par with a good garage band. Seems they (mgmt) really did not give this much effort when they booked this band to play during the break for Santa Rosa....

Siglo is still one of the best if not the best band on any ship period.

Edited by gpheathman

... I will certainly miss Siglo on our next PG cruise. I'd book a cruise on another line just to be on the same ship with Siglo again. Great band and a great group of guys!

Me too, I absolutely agree they are the best! Heard they were on Oceania Marina a while back--I'm hoping they switch to Riviera in a month or so, faint hope, I know.

I also have heard that Arnold has left the PG in favour of another luxury cruise line. I will be mourning his leaving as well when I cruise PG next year.

Just got off the ship. Invitation Quartet was fine - quirky Ukranian accented vocals aside -but they left with us. New band starts today.

Sorry but if you have not seen Siglo you do not understand the difference, BTW

Invitation Quartet was not fine, but per the bar guys and wait staff Santa Rosa is good.

Seriously, does anyone really expect top-notch entertainment on a cruise ship? I have beyond tempered expectations, and have yet to have any cruise line musical group make me want to raise them.

I've seen the You Tube videos of Siglo and don't understand why people are so excited over them. Meh at best.

Seriously, does anyone really expect top-notch entertainment on a cruise ship? I have beyond tempered expectations, and have yet to have any cruise line musical group make me want to raise them.

I've seen the You Tube videos of Siglo and don't understand why people are so excited over them. Meh at best.

The videos don't do them justice--just a sampling. They are the best.

It's a cruise ship band - big deal. That's my opinion. I just spent three hours in the IC Tahiti waiting to go to the airport and they had a live classic rock cover band that was amazing. Made Siglo sound like an 8th grade school of rock band. The ship should get THEM.

Siglo for some of us is not a cruise ship band but a state of mind.

To many of us they are as synonymous with the PG as Elmo or Ivan or motu mahana.

They evoke all those lovely pg memories. I love listening to their CD.

• 2 weeks later...