Gatwick to Docklands

8mma

We will be arriving on Wed. night around 2100 at Gatwick and will be staying in the Docklands area. I have been checking trains and it looks like going to London Bridge and then either catching a cab or taking another train would work. It looks like the trains make more stops at that time of night? I need help in deciding what would be the quickest and / or easiest way to go. We plan on only having carryon luggage. I appreciate any help.

Could you be slightly more specific about 'Docklands'? It's a term used to cover several areas, either side of the river.

A private hire car transfer may be your best option, I suspect, but depends to an extent on the transfer in London itself.

This is the best website for train times: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

I note that many trains to London Bridge require a change at East Croydon so you might want to look for one that has no changes. Allow at least an hour from landing. In any case, there is no need to book in advance - your flight might be delayed or arrive early, and there is no advantage to pre-booking. London Bridge Station is on the South side of the river.

A taxi is likely to cost around £75, so the train is a good saving, even with a short taxi ride at the far end.

Quite often people use the term Docklands for Canary Wharf, the new financial district, as well as a residential area.

Do you know someone there? Because it isn't near any cruise terminal....well London Cruise Terminal in Tilbury is relatively near.

Cotswold Eagle is right, we need to know more specific details.....a hotel name,perhaps?

:)

We are staying at a B&B on Brightlingsea Place, E14 8 DB . We are leaving for a Transatlantic cruise this Wed. (tomorrow!) and will end in Rome, Italy and from there flly into Gatwick on Wed. the 22nd. If we arrived earlier I think this would be easier. I know we will be tired and just wanted to plan ahead and know what we'll be doing once we land. Thanks - hope this info helps.

Quite often people use the term Docklands for Canary Wharf, the new financial district, as well as a residential area.

Do you know someone there? Because it isn't near any cruise terminal....well London Cruise Terminal in Tilbury is relatively near.

Cotswold Eagle is right, we need to know more specific details.....a hotel name,perhaps?

:)

Thanks for the information.....Yes I imagine that you will be very tired at 9.00pm, in fact as you have been in mainland Europe (different time zone to UK)your body will think that it's 10.00pm:(

Docklands is not a place that I would choose to stay, but each to their own.(I used to work near that area) Why not stay nearer Gatwick? Are you hoping to tour London before you return home or are you heading to Heathrow.

Someone local to London should come forward soon to give a more detailed answer.

Hope that you have a wonderful time on board.:)

It is a pity you do not fly Rome to London City Airport (in Docklands) this is about £111.00 each passenger on Alitalia. Not many people from the US know of this airports existence as it is mainly Business/Europe.

Regards John

This is in Limehouse which is now super trendy and has some excellent new building as well as some beautiful old Georgian houses which are now very desirable with an eye watering price tag to match. The B & B is opposite Narrow Street where you have a choice of Gordon Ramseys "The Narrow" or Sir Ian MCKellens old fashioned pub "The Grapes" - both of which are worth a visit. It's a 5 min walk from here to Canary Wharf and there are some lovely walks along the Thames with a selection of cafes, restaurants etc. it's a nice area but a little tricky to get to from Gatwick, especially 9 o'clock (minimum) at night. The nearest Station is Westferry on the Docklands Light Railway with about a 10 min walk from there.

A local car service is Elite Cars which would pick you up from Gatwick and take you to your B&B . They have Mercedes Cars and we have used them several times and always found them reliable and reasonable. Their number is 0207 4884488 so they would be able to give you a quote.

Hi John, I found out about this airport too late. I had already booked my airfair (nonrefundable of course:rolleyes:

It is a pity you do not fly Rome to London City Airport (in Docklands) this is about £111.00 each passenger on Alitalia. Not many people from the US know of this airports existence as it is mainly Business/Europe.

Regards John

Thanks - I did a lot of research and this place had many wonderful reviews. I will check out the car service. We will be staying in London for four nights and I already have our Oyster cards:) I know they won't be usable for Gatwick but it should be fun for the rest of the trip. I had thought about taking the Express train to Victoria Station and catching a cab from there or maybe taking the train to London Bridge and then a cab, but perhaps a car service would be best.

This is in Limehouse which is now super trendy and has some excellent new building as well as some beautiful old Georgian houses which are now very desirable with an eye watering price tag to match. The B & B is opposite Narrow Street where you have a choice of Gordon Ramseys "The Narrow" or Sir Ian MCKellens old fashioned pub "The Grapes" - both of which are worth a visit. It's a 5 min walk from here to Canary Wharf and there are some lovely walks along the Thames with a selection of cafes, restaurants etc. it's a nice area but a little tricky to get to from Gatwick, especially 9 o'clock (minimum) at night. The nearest Station is Westferry on the Docklands Light Railway with about a 10 min walk from there.

A local car service is Elite Cars which would pick you up from Gatwick and take you to your B&B . They have Mercedes Cars and we have used them several times and always found them reliable and reasonable. Their number is 0207 4884488 so they would be able to give you a quote.

My plan should be:

British Rail "Gatwick Express" departs every 15 minutes journey time 30 minutes to London VICTORIA STATION. (from 05.00hrs to 23.45hrs)

At VICTORIA STATION

Take District or Circle line Eastbound Underground train to MONUMENT

MONUMENT take escalator connection MONUMENT to BANK STATION

BANK STATION take the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to LIMEHOUSE STATION

Alternate At VICTORIA STATION

Take District or Circle line Eastbound Underground to TOWER HILL and then walk to TOWER GATEWAY take DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to LIMEHOUSE STATION.

You can get any DLR train at either of these stations Bank or Tower Gateway as both are end of line and Limehouse is a couple of stops from each.

Other posters may offer a different route.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I had thought about taking the Express train to Victoria Station and catching a cab from there or maybe taking the train to London Bridge and then a cab, but perhaps a car service would be best.

I've both taken the train and driven from LGW to Central London. Take the train - trust me. Much easier, much faster, and ultimately less stressful. I would look at Thameslink or other train to London Bridge then cab from there.

Thanks, I want easier and faster:) - the train and cab sound like the best plan. I really appreciate everyone's help - you all are so wonderful to give all of this great advice! Thank you one and all!!

I've both taken the train and driven from LGW to Central London. Take the train - trust me. Much easier, much faster, and ultimately less stressful. I would look at Thameslink or other train to London Bridge then cab from there.

I know my reply is a bit late, but for what it's worth, I would seriously look into a private transfer. If your plane lands at 21:00 it is unlikely that you will be out of the airport much before 21:45. If you get lucky you might get the train at 22:00. You'll then be in central London sometime just before 23:00.

Tube/Docklands Railway service will not be that frequent.

It will cost more, but the car option will be less stressful, and you won't have to worry about a late flight arrival.

Just look at the flight chaos today in Europe because the French Air Traffic Control have yet again gone on strike!

I know my reply is a bit late, but for what it's worth, I would seriously look into a private transfer. If your plane lands at 21:00 it is unlikely that you will be out of the airport much before 21:45.

These times are pretty universal when arriving at London Airports. I know this information is of no use to 8mma but my experience of London City Airport is that if you arrive at 21.00 you will likely be out by 21.15. It's comparatively tiny, your cases seem to be on the belt before you get to it and the cheery customs people generally ask the children if they would like a stamp on their passport. It is only really relevant for people coming in on short haul flights as the single transatlantic with British Airways New York flight is about £5000.00.

Regards John

• 2 months later...