What to do in Saranda, Albania for the day??

We where meant to go to Istanbul ,Turkey on our cruise, but due to it not been safe to visit there,

We have now had a change of Itinerary and we are now going to Saranda, Albania.

Has anyone here been to Saranda before, and if so what did you do there for the day?

Any ideas / suggestions are welcome :)

Not sure if the above poster realizes it's about 5 hours from Sarande to Tirana -- not really possible for most port visits.

I can highly recommend visiting the ruins of Butrint, which is not that far, relatively speaking, from Sarande. The site is very scenic, right on the water and set in a very green park-like area. Plus you see a bit of the countryside going back and forth.

I did not find Sarande attractive at all -- a bit depressing actually. Not the older buildings but all the new shoddy ones going up along the water.... Still you might have time for a short wander in addition to the Butrint expedition.

We were in Sarande last year and just walked around the town. As Cruisemom says it is a bit depressing, but look in at the market, which is a real eye opener. Sarande really reminded me of mid 1970's Prague and communist bloc cities. Bland and depressing in an interesting sort of way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just back from a cruise that included Sarande (July 20). Since we have been to many sites such as Butrint we opted for a tour to Gjirasole. That way we were able to see a bit of the countryside. Located up in the mountains it is a UNESCO site. The castle was somewhat interesting and a beautiful setting . That night back at the ship we seemed to be the only ones who really enjoyed our day.

Just back from a cruise that included Sarande (July 20). Since we have been to many sites such as Butrint we opted for a tour to Gjirasole. That way we were able to see a bit of the countryside. Located up in the mountains it is a UNESCO site. The castle was somewhat interesting and a beautiful setting . That night back at the ship we seemed to be the only ones who really enjoyed our day.

We must have been on the same QV cruise.

We had a surprisingly nice time.

Butrint national park with a bunch of the usual ruins, a decent ampbi theatre and lovely castle. Plenty of time to stroll the esplanade by the harbour where there is a very decent beach, lots of cafes and restaurants but nothing noteworthy in way of shops. There were quite a few of beggars along the esplanade, but they just sat there and did not hassle or follow.

Our table mates did not enjoy their excursion too much. They apparently did a bird watching tour. The most exciting creature they could see was a pigeon

One does get to see some of the countryside enroute to Butrint as well.

I have seen a fair number of ruins around the Mediterranean, but Butrint is rather uniquely sited -- not on big open plain (like a Pompeii) or on a hilltop, but on a site with lots of trees and greenery and right on the water. It's lovely. (If one likes ruins.)

One does get to see some of the countryside enroute to Butrint as well.

I have seen a fair number of ruins around the Mediterranean, but Butrint is rather uniquely sited -- not on big open plain (like a Pompeii) or on a hilltop, but on a site with lots of trees and greenery and right on the water. It's lovely. (If one likes ruins.)

A life in ruins....

We were there about 7 years ago and we went to Butrint as there was not much else. Since it is a tender port the town looked nice from the ship. When you got close you saw the uncompleted buildings or the earthquake ruined buildings from years ago. The tours used old Mercedes buses that had no working a/c driving on pothole or unpaved roads. My main memory of the tour was the guide pointing out a hotel in town and calling it a "5 star hotel and best in the Mediterranean". There was a lot of muffled laughter. It was totally different than any other place I had been and it made some interesting stories and when else would you go to Albania. Am sure it hasn't changed much

The tours used old Mercedes buses that had no working a/c driving on pothole or unpaved roads ... It was totally different than any other place I had been and it made some interesting stories and when else would you go to Albania. Am sure it hasn't changed much

What has changed (for the better) is that there is a nice, new road to Butrint. It had just opened when I was there about 3 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. We are considering a cruise next May that stops in Sarande. Could you please give me a bit more info on the tour to Gjirasole and what tour company you used. THanks so much