Cruise Ideas for Couple and Mother in law

patrick401ca

My partner and I have been thinking of taking a vacation with his recently widowed mother. The three of us get along and are looking forward to it.

We've been thinking that a cruise might be nice. Anyone tried sailing with an in-law? We would be looking at a North American port, warm waters, about 7 days, perhaps out of New York or NJ.

Anyone who has taken a similar trip, do you have any advice?

One thing to consider is when 3 people share a room on a cruise, the third bed (usually a sofabed or a berth) is generally the least comfortable bed. One assumes you and your partner will want to share a bed, so you could be giving your elderly mother-in-law the worst bed in your cabin! (Alternatively you could keep the cabin beds in twin layout, i.e. separate, and all sleep individually giving you or your partner the worst bed.)

I think one of the lovely things about cruises is that they can be great trips for people of different generations, so I think it will definitely be a good choice.

Patrick what a great vacation taking a cruise. Your mother-in-law will love it. My husband and I cruised out of NY on the Queen Mary 2 three years ago with my mom and we had a blast. He and I are going again this Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you mean Florida departure there are tons of cruise itineraries. Otherwise for Eastern Seaboard departure you're limited to Bermuda, Bahamas for 7 day cruises, or Caribbean cruises for 9+ days.

How active is your mom? my mom has mobility issues so is rather dependent. On both cruises we were on, at one of ports she stayed on the ship while me and my partner went out exploring, otherwise we did things together - at her mobility level of course. I had to do the planning carefully so neither would feel left out!

On the Summit we were seated with a family of three with the daughter in her 20s, and an older lady for dinner. They were fine except the mom asked how long we've been together (and was impressed when we said 11).

We did this with my mother-in-law a few years ago after she lost her husband. My DH and I had one stateroom, and she had another. It was a huge success, largely because she is very happy on a cruise ship. This was on the Queen Mary 2, 25 days, RT NYC including a segment in the Med. She did her thing, and we did ours, and came together for cocktails and dinner, and sometimes after dinner entertainment. There was an active LGBT (Friends of Dorothy) group at happy hour, and she joined us a couple of times and loved the group. She also hung around with some of the gay boys at the big parties on board since they were so sweet with her. She also made some nice friends with a couple of gals who had dinner with us and she did some touring of the Med ports with them. This was one of our best times together, so I encourage you to explore this idea. There are lots of cruises that head to Canada ports, so if you don't want to stray too far from home, you will have lots of possibilties. Or you might want to try some different direction. BTW, after this cruise, we also traveled with my mother-in-law and her somewhat new boy friend and also had a great time. We would do it again. Cruising is a great way to spend time with family, yet have some private time alone. I'm a big fan.

If she likes to party with gay guys, an Aquafest cruise would be good. Often a large group of LGBT folk on a regular cruise with good prices from Aquafest. Special events for those who book through the company, but all the usual things of a cruise also going on.

My partner and I have been thinking of taking a vacation with his recently widowed mother. The three of us get along and are looking forward to it.

We've been thinking that a cruise might be nice. Anyone tried sailing with an in-law? We would be looking at a North American port, warm waters, about 7 days, perhaps out of New York or NJ.

Anyone who has taken a similar trip, do you have any advice?

We cruised once with my husband's grandmother, all in an inside cabin. It worked out fine and we had a lot of laughs but I think for privacy, separate cabins is the way to go as you suggest below. NCL has single cabins on some ships now so that may be an option. Consider the ports carefully as far as mobility goes if she wants to explore (other than doing paid excursions.) We went to Bermuda from New York on that cruise and his grandmother explored the whole island with us because they have easy bus/ferry transportation options.

A couple of years ago, my partner and I took my mom on her very first cruise at the age of 80. Yes we were worried for her but it was probably one of the best vacations we've ever had. She had her rituals like taking a nap at 2 every day and martini's at 5 before our early sitting dinner. No worries. She got off at every port and loved the history of each city we visited.

Have a great time and take a lot of pictures.

Edited by Surfguyxxx

Bermuda truly is a wonderful port for all....I first visited there back in the mid 1970's..the ideal itin is a ship that docks in Front Street Hamilton for 3.5 days. Since then we have sailed there numerous times, tho we never sailed on a ship that docked in the Dockyard( I see you sailed Celebrity a great deal & their Summit does a 7 day Bermuda cruise out of NY/NJ Bayonne that docks in the Dockyard).

Several years ago my Aunt that took me on my first cruise was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and it would not be long before she would not be able to travel so I booked a cruise to Bermuda on Celebrity Century that sailed out of NYC for 7 days. She & I shared a cabin & my parents were in another midship outside cabin. It was one of the best weeks of my life & she enjoyed every minute...talk about priceless memories! There was only 1.5 days at sea each way & we docked in Front St so we could walk off the ship anytime with shops & restaurants right there or even catch a cab to a beach or a resort for a lunch, diner or swim.

We had late dinner & really enjoyed the entire week. Go for it & Bon Voyage!

Bermuda truly is a wonderful port for all....I first visited there back in the mid 1970's..the ideal itin is a ship that docks in Front Street Hamilton for 3.5 days. Since then we have sailed there numerous times, tho we never sailed on a ship that docked in the Dockyard( I see you sailed Celebrity a great deal & their Summit does a 7 day Bermuda cruise out of NY/NJ Bayonne that docks in the Dockyard).

Several years ago my Aunt that took me on my first cruise was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and it would not be long before she would not be able to travel so I booked a cruise to Bermuda on Celebrity Century that sailed out of NYC for 7 days. She & I shared a cabin & my parents were in another midship outside cabin. It was one of the best weeks of my life & she enjoyed every minute...talk about priceless memories! There was only 1.5 days at sea each way & we docked in Front St so we could walk off the ship anytime with shops & restaurants right there or even catch a cab to a beach or a resort for a lunch, diner or swim.

We had late dinner & really enjoyed the entire week. Go for it & Bon Voyage!

That was so nice; brought tears to my eyes thinking about your trip compared to my mom's. So glad you have those memories.