FLL Vs MIAMI airport?

bmw1lgetu

Hi all, this is my first post :)

I just booked our first cruise for Aug 2 - MsC Divina, and was wondering the price difference from FLL vs MIA to the port?

I was googling prices but does it still cost $26 for a cab from MIA airport to the port?

And how much would it be from Fort Laurendale airport?

Thanks all! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not sure from your note which port you will sail from. But do try to avoid Miami airport at all costs. It is a nightmare with too many people, from all over the world, too little organization and unpleasant staff and crowded conditions. The airline people are fine but the airport staff are not interested in customers, only in each other. It helps if you speak Spanish.

Port Everglades (port for Fort Lauderdale) can be very busy and but it is very close to the Fort Lauderdale airport. Taxis are prevelant and not too expensive.

Port of Miami is better than the airport, but I still avoid either one when I can. (I live in Florida so only use the airports for international flights.)

I just booked our first cruise for Aug 2 - MsC Divina, and was wondering the price difference from FLL vs MIA to the port?

I was googling prices but does it still cost $26 for a cab from MIA airport to the port?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The price difference between MIA and FLL really depends on where you are flying from. Sometimes MIA is cheaper, sometimes FLL is cheaper. I work in Miami and live in Fort Lauderdale, but prefer flying in/out of FLL not only because it is closer to my home, but because there is less traffic and hassle. If MIA has the only non-stop option, even if the flight is more money than FLL, then I will choose MIA.

Yes, cab fare from MIA to POM is approx $26 + tip. From FLL, it would be approx $80 - $100, but many people prefer to take SAS or another shuttle service from FLL.

You can find more information on the Florida Departures Board regarding airports, hotels, transportation, dining, and things to do/see!

Hope this was at least a good start!

Edited by brunello22

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, cab fare from MIA to POM is approx $26 + tip. From FLL, it would be approx $80 - $100, but many people prefer to take SAS or another shuttle service from FLL.

You can find more information on the Florida Departures Board regarding airports, hotels, transportation, dining, and things to do/see!

Hope this was at least a good start!

You can find two or three shuttle services that will take you from FLL to Port of Miami for about $15 per person or less depending on the number of people in your group. I have always used SAS and find them very dependable.

I usually find that the airfare is less when flying into FLL as opposed to MIA.

From the DC area there are flights to both MIA and FLL.

Since you are sailing from PortMiami, fly into MIA. Those who insist FLL easier to navigate have not been to either airport recently.

The north terminal at MIA (used by AA/US and their codeshares) has a brand new baggage delivery system installed; since you are on a domestic flight all you have to do is walk from the gate to baggage claim, find your bags, and head out for a taxi. While right now FLL is a nightmare of construction inside and out; many escalators and elevators from the terminal to baggage claim out of service. And I have always waited much longer for a cab at FLL than MIA.

Bottom line is only consider FLL if there is still significant savings after factoring in the $90+ cab ride. Why anyone gives an unqualified recommendation to an extra half-hour in a taxi on both embarkation and disembarkation day puzzles me.

Taxi rate from MIA to Port of Miami is $24 flat rate. At least it was last year when I was there. FLL to Port of Miami taxi fare is going to be $80-$90 depending on traffic conditions and day of week. The best bet to go from FLL to Port of Miami is a shared shuttle service. SAS is an example and used frequently by folks on here.

Thank you all for your replies! :)

We are from DC, and FLL flight is $60 cheaper per person, there's 7 of us..

And this is why i'm computing if it will be worth it to fly from FLL..

Thank you all for your replies! :)

We are from DC, and FLL flight is $60 cheaper per person, there's 7 of us..

And this is why i'm computing if it will be worth it to fly from FLL..

With seven, you'll need two, perhaps three cabs regardless of which port. Or a service may be a better option . . . Check on the Florida ports threads. There is probably a company that will provide one vehicle for your group at a decent price.

Remember as you do your calculations that the $60 savings is round trip, but the transfer fee will be as well. If it costs you more than $30 extra each way, per person, from FLL to the port vs. MIA to the port, you've eaten up all of your savings.

With 7 people, why have the additional hassle of adding another step to the process? I would fly into MIA unless it's very cost prohibitive.

Roz

With 7 people, why have the additional hassle of adding another step to the process? I would fly into MIA unless it's very cost prohibitive.

Roz

Extra step? They need to get from an airport to a cruise ship regardless of the airport. Looks like $15 per person from FLL for a van ( http://m.miamiportshuttle.net/Rates.html ) vs $8 from MIA . . .

Extra step? They need to get from an airport to a cruise ship regardless of the airport. Looks like $15 per person from FLL for a van ( http://m.miamiportshuttle.net/Rates.html ) vs $8 from MIA . . .

SAS rate is $13 pp for 7 people from FLL to POM. They usually have a trailer on the van for luggage. The trip usually takes us about 30 minutes.

If the airfare to FLL is $60 pp less than MIA, that is a saving of $47 pp or $329 for the group.

I would use FLL for that saving.

Edited by swedish weave

I guess I need to weigh in here, and respectfully disagree with some of the expert (and local) advice...

I work in Fort Lauderdale (Las Olas), live in Miami (Brickell), and cruise a lot out of both ports (3 cruises in the last 6 months), and fly in to or out of MIA or FLL about ever 2 or 3 weeks....... I think I am pretty comfortable offering my "Two Abe's worth" ($0.02)...

With 7 travelers and $60 airfare savings (per person, if I read that correctly), I'd fly in to FLL if you have adequate time before you board. Obviously MIA is closer to the PoM (about 8 miles), but I find that the traffic leaving MIA and heading East to the port can be horrendous at any time of day, rather than just the normal terrible that's around FLL. Neither of these are DC type traffic (I lived in Woodbridge and Richmond for 12 years), but they can be terrible.

Make sure you have adequate time and take a group shuttle, which your group will likely fill up (thus making it almost private)... You'll save money, which it seems like the primary purpose for your question. If the net, net savings (after airfare and differences in cab fares) is less than $150 or so, then I might stick with MIA.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

IN Feb I took a cab from FLL airport to the port area in Miami, it was $75 plus 10 for a tip, I was not able to take SAS because my flight was delayed.

SAS rate is $13 pp for 7 people from FLL to POM. They usually have a trailer on the van for luggage. The trip usually takes us about 30 minutes.

If the airfare to FLL is $60 pp less than MIA, that is a saving of $47 pp or $329 for the group.

I would use FLL for that saving.

Actually, to nit pick a bit, the saving is somewhat greater. As it is $60 minus (13 minus the MIA to port transfer cost).

A cab from Ft/ Laud to Miami is VERY expensive...a shuttle is the better, cheaper bet. From MIA to port of Miami is $24. A cab from Ft. Laud to Port Everyglades is about $12.

We've never had a problem at MIA....I think it's easy to navigate! Pick the airport closest to your port.