Day in Cozumel recommendations?

teenahoo

As a couple who aren't much for sitting around tanning in the sun, it seems the thing to do in Cozumel is to go to an all inclusive beach to do just that? Are these resorts still fun for those who like more active things (good food, drink, adventure!)?

If not, please tell me if there's any alternatives you highly recommend!

Note: my fiance doesn't have a very high alcohol tolerance so I don't know if he would be keen on partaking in the highly recommended Cozumel Bar Hop!

Additional info: I love snorkeling while my fiance likes things like plantation tours to learn about new cultures and ways of life!

Edited by teenahoo

As a couple who aren't much for sitting around tanning in the sun, it seems the thing to do in Cozumel is to go to an all inclusive beach to do just that? Are these resorts still fun for those who like more active things (good food, drink, adventure!)?

Note: my fiance doesn't have a very high alcohol tolerance so I don't know if he would be keen on partaking in the highly recommended Cozumel Bar Hop!

You don't say what you are specifically interested in but there are plenty of water sports and other adventure excursions available. Check out one of the broker sites like island marketing or Cozumel Watersports for suggestions.

Incidentally the Bar Hop is not a party bus, pers se, and you can drink as much, or as little, alcohol as you like. I am sure more groups are more rowdy than others but it is a well-run excursion which gives you a good introductory tour round the island and you are completely free to do as you like at each stop.

Thanks for the clarification!

What do each of the stops for the Bar Hop consist of?

Would you still recommend doing the inclusive beach club thing considering the information given?

We like things like snorkeling, visiting historical landmarks, and ziplining/atving although we'll be doing those things on other stops before arriving in cozumel

There are some Mayan ruins on Coz - small and disappointing compared to what you would find on a mainland stop, but some enjoy touring them.

Lots of snorkel opportunities on Coz - we used Eagle Ray a couple of years ago for a tour and were happy. good snorkeling form the shore is available at the Money Bar -- about a $10 cab ride from the piers, good facilities, rental gear and guides if needed, plus good food/drinks/service.

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

We did Hiring a Driver for the Day excursions a few years ago and had a great time. Our driver Alberto took us all around the island including accompanying us into a supermarket at the beginning of the tour to pick out snacks/drinks to take with us for our day. We went to the San Gervasio ruins (small, not spectacular), the east side of the island and around the downtown area. We told him what we wanted to see and let him make recommendations.

Thanks for all of the replies! Money bar has come highly recommended to me from other sources as well. What can I expect from spending a day there?

My fiance is also interested in checking out a cenote (cave river), so if anyone has recommendations for that, it would be greatly appreciated!

What are your other port stops?

Each of you seems to like doing very different thing.

Maybe you could do an excursion that would suit him is one port and you could do your snorkeling in another port?

We'll be going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I have the Stingray city + snorkel tour booked in Grand Cayman so far, and a Jeep Safari in MoBay.

Thanks for all of the replies! Money bar has come highly recommended to me from other sources as well. What can I expect from spending a day there?

My fiance is also interested in checking out a cenote (cave river), so if anyone has recommendations for that, it would be greatly appreciated!

The cenotes are over on the Mainland, not on Cozumel.

Money Bar is just that, a small bar/restaurant with tables and chairs by the waterfront.

2014_Magic_COZ157.JPG

there is sand, but no beach....

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_1.jpg

snorkeling - enter the water from the right side of the raised seating area, next to the wall.

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_3.jpg

My all time favorite excursion we've ever done was in Cozumel. We went on the Tucan sailing adventure with Cozumel Sailing. Best day ever. Nice catamaran, small group - maybe 15 on board, lunch cooked and served on board, snorkeling, private beach, and spinnaker rides off the back of the boat. Really a great day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree with bb71! My favorite excursion from Cozumel was the long but great Tulum tour. If you want to stay and see Cozumel you can take a taxi around the entire Island for a reasonable price. Interesting to see the the difference in geography, beaches etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely do the Bar Hop. The other side of the island is unspoiled and beautiful. Plus, it is fun and you meet great people and its a fun day. You will both love it.

Edited by bp518

Additional info: I love snorkeling while my fiance likes things like plantation tours to learn about new cultures and ways of life!

Look at the Salsa Salsa Margarita. It's is really a lot of fun. You learn to make several different salsas and margaritas( the margaritas are not strong ). They teach you to dance the salsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My all time favorite excursion we've ever done was in Cozumel. We went on the Tucan sailing adventure with Cozumel Sailing. Best day ever. Nice catamaran, small group - maybe 15 on board, lunch cooked and served on board, snorkeling, private beach, and spinnaker rides off the back of the boat. Really a great day!

I absolutely agree! The best excursion ever. Great food, attentive service, wonderful experience. If I had to choose another event, it would probably be the cozumel 12 metre america's cup. If you like adventure, this may be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My husband and I are not big drinkers. We usually go to the Money Bar to snorkel and get an appetizer. Then, we come back and explore around the port. I prefer when we dock at international pier. It's in a better location for walking around town.

We are heading to Cozumel for our first time this November. We booked a ship excursion over to do the:

Cenotes and Turtle Bay Adventure - which as was mentioned earlier, requires the ferry over to the mainland.

The reviews of this on Trip Advisor are through the roof. It is an all day excursion (8 hours) (available for our princess cruise - not sure about other lines) that we would not dare book as a non ship tour. It gets back just at the all aboard time, but it is a jam packed day of snorkeling, exploring and beaching. This is the highlight of our 6 stops. Can't wait.

On a side note, we considered the secret river excursion in the same general area. Also very well reviewed, but this one just sounds a little better.

Don

My husband and I are not big drinkers. We usually go to the Money Bar to snorkel and get an appetizer. Then, we come back and explore around the port. I prefer when we dock at international pier. It's in a better location for walking around town.

Punta Langosta is the "in-town" pier. Easy access to town shops, bars and restaurants.