QM2 October NY-Canada-NY log

BlueRiband

Warm, humid, rain

This morning it is unusually warm and humid for a mid-October New York morning. But it's also not my usual Thursday morning routine. Instead of heading out for work I'm gathering some last minute things before sailing.

I’ve been diagnosed with Regina Nervosa. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Section G32, the cause is unknown and it is a unique affliction observed only in people who have sailed on Queen Mary 2. Symptoms typically include obsession with the ship’s whereabouts and preoccupation with standards of evening dress.

Even mild cases of Regina Nervosa often result in some degree of financial debilitation. More severe cases can make the patient intolerable to other passengers through their constant complaints of “cutbacks”. Those who attempt to obtain relief by sailing on another ship will often express constant verbal dissatisfaction with the alternative vessel. Such examples include, but are not limited to, the “it’s not like QM2”, “it’s not QE2”, and “I miss afternoon tea”.

Regina Nervosa can rapidly progress to a terminal stage. This is marked by visual fantasies of future vessel refits and episodes of anger over rumors of unwelcome changes.

There is no cure but sufferers have reported prolonged periods of remission by experiencing another voyage on QM2. Some patients may require the booking of a future voyage if they are to avoid relapse immediately upon disembarkation.

We persuaded a friend to join us on QM2 last July, and I am sorry to report that his behavior confirms what many experts have long feared: almost unique among mental disorders, Regina Nervosa is highly contagious. I understand that some authorities have gone so far as to suggest that its victims be confined onboard for long periods of time to insure that the disease does not spread to the general population. And if enforced, surely here is a public health measure that all who sufferer from this affliction would embrace in the spirit of self-sacrifice.

Edited by Thaxted

Friday, October 17th

Newport, RI

Partly Cloudy

Beauty and the Beast: We are anchored next to the Norwegian Gem, which has the flamboyant hull “artwork” so common today. I had never been in Newport before and it’s beauty makes it easy to see the attraction for the 19th century gentry.

Last night the unusual mild October New York weather allowed an outdoor sail away party. It was much subdued compared to the 5-day July voyage. The Royal Court Theatre had been about two thirds full. Apparently many had joined the ship after traveling, so the proportion of NY/East US locals was much smaller. Three of my tablemates did not come to dinner the first night. Those who did come were two women traveling together and a gentleman from Scotland how is a solo.

We had just a bit of gentle rocking last night as we sailed up the coast. My starboard side stateroom seems to be in line with the forward pods. I don’t feel vibrations but gentle tugs and pulls. Quite the opposite of being unpleasant since it rocks me to sleep. This is however, a very, very, dangerous stateroom location: far from the gym but close to the PG restaurant. I’m happy to say that even for the first night people dressed nicely in the restaurant.

This morning it’s a bit breezy and I’m glad to have brought long sleeve heavy knit shirts. Our particular tour will leave mid-morning and return 2PM: Time to take in a spa treatment before formal dinner. The three table mates that didn’t make dinner did come for breakfast: a UK couple with their adult daughter.

This morning I managed to get in an application for the Behind the Scenes Tour, so I’ll see what happens. I’m told they go to the Hotel Manager for consideration. (Perhaps my taking tours which involve walking rather than sitting will help my cause.) At the moment I'm calm as I undergo treatment for Regina Nervosa.

Edited by BlueRiband

We have booked Quebec to NY for next Oct. 4 with a group of friends. You never know when the fall colors will appear, but I'm curious to hear what you see on your cruise.
In my opinion you should have good foliage at one or more ports in early October. This cruise is almost two weeks later and much of the ports are probably post-peak by now.

BlueRiband, You have Regina Nervosa, too!! I, alas, was also diagnosed with this terrible afflication, but can not receive treatment until July 30, 2015 with my measly 5 day trip to Halifax. Hopefully I may get some relief with your postings. Good Health and Happy Sailing!

Friday night,

October 17th

Sailing to Boston

Our tendering in Newport was very efficient. I had taken the Rose Island lighthouse tour, a facility that was restored by a group of volunteers. Overnight and weekly guests can stay in the former keeper's house. But it's "off the grid" and very rustic. (For me, I prefer accommodations that have hot water ready and waiting whenever I want it.) They very cleverly made a joke and demonstration using the hand pump to bring water from a cistern to a barrel, then how to pump water into the flush reservoir on the facilities. Everyone enjoyed the joke, but then everyone know how to handle the makeshift facilities when a need arose.

One advantage to being in the Grills is the use of the Conceirge Lounge. After returning to the ship I was able to grab some tea sandwiches and not deal with King's Court. We pulled anchor about 5PM - at least that was the time I heard the horn salutes while down in the spa. Norwegian Gem's horn sounded pretty pathetic compared to QM2's.

Despite this being a port day this is formal night and also the night for the Captain's cocktail parties. I'm seeing about half and half for long and short evening dresses. Cunard is making an effort to enforce formal dress in the dining room and at these invitation events. One gentleman however had a rather strange "uniform". It looked more like the type worn by doorman in NY apartment buildings and also had a long fox tail from under his jackket. I asked if it had a significance and this reply was "I wear this for balance". (To balance what I'll leave to your imagination.)

One thing I did not mention regarding last night was an event in the Winter Garden. US, NFL football on a big screen. I once joked that the under-utilized Winter Garden could be turned into a sports bar for us red neck Americans. For one night at least it was. If it becomes popular and people run up bar tabs there expect more of it.

Cunard has brought in some different evening entertainment, perhaps from complaints that the same production shows recycle on voyages of more than one week.These are solo performers or small groups (like "Your Three Tenors" last July).

Channel 41 is back! There are graphics whoing the ship position as it would appear on navigational charts. We're now back to getting the ships position and speed (22.5 knots as of this writing) as well as weather and sea states. It also announces the location and times the bridge viewing area is open.

We disembarked from the QM TA the day you embarked, and are suffering from withdrawal that will be mitigated slightly by reading your posts. We live in Maine, and were wishing we could stay on to be dropped off in Boston or Bar Harbor! We met a fair number of pepole who were staying on for the NY-New England-Canada-NY leg, and some who were doing the whole round trip from Southampton and back, 27 days I believe. Quite a few French folks boarded in Cherbourg, and I wonder if they stayed on or flew back from NY.

Saturday Afternoon,

Boston

Cloudy, mild

As we approached the Falcon Street terminal, I noticed a small gathering in the park opposite the pier. They did not seem to be awaiting QM2’s arrival but once they spotted her they stopped to admire the elegance of this ship. Whipping out a camera phone is present-day homage and genuflection.

As of this writing the cloud cover is increasing. It’s another unusually mild October day and very pleasant for those who want to tour on foot. As it is not a Boston business day – or holiday – so the traffic moves very well. As I left the ship there appeared to be two crew members just joining the ship – perhaps performers. A military transport vessel – Pollux – occupies the dry dock so there are jobs in ship maintenance. I believe this is where QE2 was dry docked and repaired when she scraped bottom on uncharted rocks. I’m not sure where this ship would be taken if she ran into a similar problem. Newport News, Virginia, which builds US aircraft carriers, is the only one which comes to mind.

After a quick Trolley Tour, I return to enjoy the ship. It’s pretty empty and quiet on board since the vast majority chose to go ashore for some time. Time on board means enjoying my balcony and the spa. Cunard also continues to serve lunch on port days, something long discontinued by many lines. I learned that my spa attendant had just joined the ship in New York last month. That was surprising as I thought crew and personnel changes were done in Southampton with the exception of the World Voyage. This woman is from Jamacia where Canyon Ranch came in for interviews. Historically many QM2 spa attendants came from South Africa. Perhaps it’s hard to find people who are not only among the best at what they do but are also willing to take on a six month contract.

The ship is moored with her starboard side along the dock, and my balcony is just above the main driveway into the terminal. There’s a slow but steady trickle of vehicles and taxis making their return. Two Boston commuter coaches have poles for overhead trolley wire. I was not aware the Boston had such an electric trolley coach system unless it is something new.

Boston has a very varied transit system. The coaches you saw are part of the "Silver line", and spurs start at the docks and at the airport. I think near the pier they use diesel power (not sure), and join the airport spur about a mile from the dock, going underground past South Station and on to the east.

Take good care of QM2, I'll get on when you get off.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Saturday night,

Sailing to Bar Harbor

Cloudy

The propeller deck, one of my favorite places and night at sea, is illuminated only by the light from the deck 7 promenade windows. The only sound is the rush of the water wake as QM2’s bow cuts through. The lights of Boston receded in the distance and only the brightest; space sources on land appear on our port side. Ahead it’s totally black with no visible stars. Because we can see land I don’t quite feel that we are alone out here as I did on the transatlantic run.

Dinner was very busy with everyone coming in early. All aboard time had been 5PM. So it wasn’t late enough to dine in town. Earlier the Veendam departed. Poor baby needed a tug just to leave the pier. I think she has conventional shaft drives but bow thrusters, so she needed one to pull her backside out. QM2 of course backed out on her own, although the Captain Oprey did announce we would take it slow due to the container ship in port.

I cannot give accurate weather or sea state because some of the information on channel 41 has not been updated! Our destination reads “Newport” – where we were yesterday. And the weather certainly isn’t clear as there is not a star visible in the sky. I’m not sure if the heading is even right. I do know that the sea state is slight as there is minimal movement on the ship.

Tonight it is a breezy on deck and a coat or sweater is needed. There are a few out to walk off some calories but most seem to be content inside the ship. I’m not seeing evidence of “rust everywhere” as one bad review had claimed. The forward most port side life boat was lowered for some maintenance today.

Sorry to say that it was necessary to place an announcement in the ship’s program asking passengers not to put anything into the ship’s toilets that should not go there. They report a very high number of problems with the toilet system due to attempts to flush sanitary products. We’ll soon read bad reviews from somebody whose toilet had problem thanks to their down-line neighbor.

The ship is very quiet at 9:30PM. Nobody at all is in the Winter Garden although some seem to be in whatever specialty restaurant is using the port side of Kings Court tonight. With port days coming immediately into the itinerary nobody has had a day to just chill and relax, especially for those who had to fly into New York. I thought this voyage would be a longer version of the 5-day July one, but it’s entirely different. That one was a boatload of Americans and we had a sea day to Halifax. This one has a good mix of UK and international passengers and we start out with 5 straight port days. Quite frankly, this one is more civilized. One way to get away from the ultra casual demographic is sail when and where they are priced out, something Cunard usually does.

Sunday evening,

Sailing to St. John, NB

Earlier today the tendering required tickets until well past noon. Our tour was one which met ashore, so there was no priority tendering as there had been with the early morning groups. A foul up in timing had as waiting on the stairs to the Belgravia room for at least 10 minutes. We also departed toward the aft end of the ship so any images taken from the tenders showed QM2’s less photogenic end. The weather was much colder compared to Newport and Boston, and we now need coats, hats, scarves, and gloves on deck.

Our position in Bar Harbor was great for views from the ship. The foliage is at a peak and every angle was a Maine autumn postcard. Unlike some places Bar Harbor welcomes cruise ships because it extends the tourist season and helps the local economy.

As I write the last tender has returned to the mother duck and we are not pivoting to return to the harbor and sail to St. John. Channel 41, after three days, is finally updated.

At the Catholic Mass I learned that the service for the crew is at 10:30PM – obviously timed so that it’s after dining room and turn down service is done. It’s late for those who have to set up breakfast plus clocks go ahead to Atlantic Time tonight.

While the Royal Court Theater program last might was a re-run of “Crazy in Love”, tonight there is Mark Donoghue and a classical concert in Illuminations. Perhaps Cunard has acted on the complaints of shows constantly recycling.

I’m not writing a much about the ship as in previous voyages, mostly because the port days have taken so much time. With the excursion I returned to the ship with little time to grab some refreshment and then shower and dress for the evening. We still have two more before a long overdue and welcome sea day.

I enjoy reading your reporting of this cruise, BlueRiband. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to share your observations with us. I know that it takes time and effort because my own laziness has kept me from doing as much during our QM2 cruises. And I know that I'll regret that in the future when I try to remember why on Earth I took a particular photo or scanned an odd piece of printed trivia. Hope you had a chance to savor a lobster roll in Bar Harbor.

Monday, enroute to Halifax

Partly cloudy, wind force 7

We have an unexpected sea day. We had entered the harbor for St. John with the shore lights twinkling gold below the orange and teal sunrise. Then shortly after 8AM Captain Oprey announced that due to high winds, and the position of another ship in port, we were unable to safely dock in St. John. The tind is not expected to die down and a later arrival would limit our time in port. So after picking up the pilot we disembark the pilot and head out of the bay. The cancellation brings mixed feelings of disappointment and relief. Disappointment to miss a destination I had not seen before – and a promising photography tour – and relief to have a sea day to relax. About 15 minutes later his announcement is repeated in a Japanese translation. For the crew members scheduled to go ashore it’s certainly a disappointment. Probably the galley crew has it the worst. They expected to perhaps serve 200 lunches and now will have to feed the entire ship.

I decide to head straight to the spa to make an appointment and I have the aquatherapy pool to myself before the other passengers catch on the same idea. It was a good move because after I left there was a line at the appointment desk. On my way over there I pass the deck 10 laundry room which showed symptoms of an emerging battle.

A revised daytime program has been distributed to the staterooms. One insights speaker, handwriting expert Alice Weisler, had her talk move to today. There is also a film and various other activities one normally expects on a sea day.

Yesterday it was chilly in Bar Harbor and it is now downright cold and windy on deck. Technical crew members wear winter parkas, and the joggers who are out wear winter jackets, hats and gloves. Nobody will find the sun loungers all occupied today.

As I write this I await the noontime update. Cunard was trying to arrange for an earlier arrival and docking in Halifax, so we might learn more then.

At Noon it is announced what we are expected to be docked in Halifax at 8AM rather than Noon. Flyers for the previously canceled tour to Lunnenberg are distributed to each stateroom. It’s 6-1/2 hrs in duration so it would not have been possible to run it with a short time in port.

It’s very sunny out, but also very windy and only about 45degF. Anybody out on deck is heavily bundled up.

Monday at Sunset,

At sea to Halifax

Off our starboard aft end the last gold rays of sunset touch a midnight blue sea. Within 10 minutes we went from bright light to dusk.

Only a few hardy souls braved the outside cold today. The promenade sun loungers were out with a few reading here and there. The propeller deck however was closed to high winds. None of the aft end loungers are out, although they are on the Grills deck. It was not too bad out there in the sun since they are protected from the wind.

It’s been a day where people spent the day inside the ship, and lunch was very busy. For many, it’s the first chance to explore QM2. The tour staff has been pretty efficient at update departure times – mine is at the original time tomorrow while others were moved up for the earlier arrival.

Tonight, we have The Opera Boys in the Royal Court Theater and a RADA reading of ghost stories in the Winter Garden. It’s not a formal night since this was to be a port day and the ship kept the same schedule of events from 5PM onward. QM2 is doing only about 12 knots and hardly any movement can be felt. The wind is down to force 5 from 7 earlier today.

Tuesday, October 21st

Halifax

A gorgeous gold and blue sunrise greets are arrival. We are moored along the main wharf while two smaller RCI ships use the finger piers. It’s cool but sunny with some wisps of clouds and a perfect day for touring.

The previously cancelled Lunnenberg tour had enough participants and one of my tablemates will be going out on that. My tour won’t start until 1PM, as originally scheduled, and since our departure won’t be until 7:30 there is plenty of time to enjoy Halifax.

On a calm port day there is plenty of maintenance work for the crew. As I write the crew is finishing a training exercise for the deployment of one of the emergency lift rafts. It reads “37” – hard to believe 37 people fit into that. But if a ship is sinking the only thing one cares about is getting on board something that is not. Now it has to be deflated of all pockets of air and stuffed back into its clamshell drum.

Tuesday night,

Sailing to Quebec

As usual, QM2 leaves Halifax unassisted. Our all aboard time was 7:30 and we depart at approximately 8:15PM Atlantic Time. As we depart the pier and pivot about a dozen or so people stand near the Samuel Cunard statue and watch our departure.

Because we were originally due into Halifax at Noon I had opted for the shorter Cunard and Titanic tour. The poignant part of the cemetery was the section corresponding to the starboard aft end of sunken liner. These were men from the engineering crew, most unidentified. Their bodies were found wearing only under shorts and shirt, a common practice due to the blazing heat of the coal furnaces. Had they not heroically kept Titanic’s lights on and the ship tripped the number of fatalities would have been worse.

Due to our later time in port many don’t come to dinner until later.

Channel 41 is only partially updated. The map shows our distance from Halifax but the destination, speed, and position is from last night. As I write it’s pleasant enough for the decks to be open, including the deck 11 observation area. The lights of Nova Scotia and be seen on our port size, an occasional freighter or tanker on the horizon on starboard. Ahead, nothing but black and a cloud cover blocks out all of the stars. The navigation notes in the daily program read that we will pass Cape Breton Island, then had NW up the Laurentain Channel to join the traffic separation patterns for the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Tonight, we set clocks back on hour to return to Eastern Time.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

At sea to Quebec

Our heading is 50deg, and the sun rises near our forward end. The broken clouds give us bands of gold and blue instead of an orange orb. Toward our port side it seems strange to see a distant land mass on a sea day. This is our first pre-planned sea day, and everyone at breakfast has plans to take in various activities.

It’s brisk and cool outside, and the stewards have not put out the balcony lounge cushions. The walkers and joggers are bundled up for cold and wind. We’re getting more of a cloud cover as the morning progresses, but there is still plenty of sun and it looks much warmer than it actually is.