Need Help Picking a Ship

CruiseRook91

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, sorry if it's not in the right place or against the rules, but we need some help.

I am not a new cruiser, I've done 12 sailings (8 RC, 1 Carnival, 3 Disney) but I have never booked one on my own and I am used to the "mega-ships." You know, the ships that have literally have everything. I have always just gone with the flow of my family so the decisions have never been mine. Now that I am paying and we are on a tight budget, I have two choices to pick from.

We are doing a 4 night sail on either the Carnival Victory or the Majesty of the Seas and we just can't decide since the prices are about the same for us.

We are a couple in our mid 20's but we are old souls, we really just want to relax, not too much crazy party and a bit of drinking and fun (I like the shows), but like I said, we mostly want to relax, laugh and have fun.

---

Things that aren't important to us:

Food - It's just food, it'll be fine, we pretty much know what to expect.

Drinks - If we do Royal I'll do the package, my girlfriend isn't a big drinker and it's just not worth it for Carnival since both of us wouldn't do it. Worst case we just pay by the drink. (I wish there was an unlimited Rum Punch package, that I would do!)

Ports of Call - Beach is beach, we love the beach.

Cabin - We are getting an inside cabin, we don't plan on spending much time in it.

Things that matter to us:

Relaxation - We both love to relax, lay on the beach or the deck and just listen to music and soak up the sun. I would love it if there was an "adults only" area which I see on the Victory but not the Majesty.

Value - If I'm spending over $1,000 I really hope I am getting my money's worth. I don't expect a lot but a clean room and good service.

Space - We definitely want to socialize and have fun but on my last cruise on the Allure there were just SO MANY people, I felt like I couldn't breathe, which I don't feel like I would get on a smaller ship.

---

My worry about Carnival is it's the "Fun Ship" and while yes we want to have fun I just picture it being spring break and children everywhere

My worry about the Majesty is it's much older and they don't have that awesome looking Adults Only pool area that I have seen before.

Thanks in advance all,

Sam

Looking at a July 30 - Aug 1 sailing.

I was confused at first because I got the impression you were talking about it being spring break. But I guess you mean it would be with a lot of children because it is summer.

And I'm guessing you're talking about a Caribbean cruise, which means you should be prepared for a change of itinerary if there's hurricanes popping up.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Most of the 3 and 4 day cruises are really party cruises. I wouldn't go on one -- JMO.

The dates you have selected -- school is still out and you will encounter many children.

There are not a lot of choices the end of July through the first part of August. The majority of the ships leave the Caribbean in March and April and to Europe, Alaska, Canada/New England. And many don't return until October/November.

If you've done 8 Royal Cruises, I'd assume you've got the C&A number and probably Gold. I'd stick w/ Royal for now.

I'd suggest a 4-day Royal Cruise. So, you have more fun days between embarking and debarking.

Another idea would be a 4-day in early December, usually lower in cost. If you stick to the smaller ships, your price should be better.

If you're worried about cost, skip the drink package. Bring aboard the two bottles of wine w/ a wine opener and you should be set. Personally, we'd rather upgrade the room, or move up to a 7 day cruise than spend money on the drink package. Drinks on board have a huge mark-up. I've heard that five drinks is the break even point for the drink package.

If you're not careful, you can spend more on board than the fare. Check into the Tightwad's guide to cruising.

We've sailed the Majesty, and liked the ship. The inside staterooms are nice and cozy.

Edited by knittinggirl

Your question is an ideal one that a cruise-oriented travel agent could answer. Living in Orlando, there would be no issue in finding one. A travel agent is not going to cost you any money other than what you pay for the cruise. And, maybe, they might be able to include some perks that you would not be able to obtain by booking yourself.

See a travel agent is my recommendation.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I did find a cruise oriented travel agent and she was super helpful. She got us a little bit of a price help (she got the memorial day sale before memorial day weekend) and also got us a small on-board credit.

We ended up going with the Majesty of the Seas. We are looking forward to it, maybe there will be a Cruise Critic meetup or something, I think I saw a "Roll Call" board.

Should be interesting for me since i have only ever done the Mega-Ships. Just looking forward to some R&R. Next one will be the big ship!!

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I did find a cruise oriented travel agent and she was super helpful. She got us a little bit of a price help (she got the memorial day sale before memorial day weekend) and also got us a small on-board credit.

We ended up going with the Majesty of the Seas. We are looking forward to it, maybe there will be a Cruise Critic meetup or something, I think I saw a "Roll Call" board.

Should be interesting for me since i have only ever done the Mega-Ships. Just looking forward to some R&R. Next one will be the big ship!!

Congratulations on making your decision and I am pleased that you found, as I have, that a travel agent can be most helpful.

I have a well traveled friend who has sailed on Cunard, HAL, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. In the Crown & Anchor Society (Royal Caribbean's past passenger organization), she is at the Diamond level. She now seems to prefer the Royal Caribbean product since all of her most recent cruises have been with them. As a discriminating cruiser, for her to keep returning to one of their cruises, Royal Caribbean must be doing something right!

I wish you bon voyage and a cruise that meets your expectations!