Tea question

Commodore

They have changed a couple of times in the last year. In the Café AL Bacio, they use Tea Forte in pyramids, which is a more loose tea experience, but there is an additional cost. We purchase a beverage package so it is covered.

In the rest of the ship, we were less impressed with the tea. It all depends on how much of a tea snob you are. Personally, I'm quite a tea snob. If you have a serious preference, take your preferred brand to ensure you have what you want.

• Like 1

I would like to know the brand of the Earl Grey tea available on the Silhouette.

Thks:)

I can't remember the regular tea they served (not memorable), but if you have the drink package (as Algebralovr said), the Tea Forte Earl Grey at Café al Bacio is included and is wonderful and beautifully served. The tea bags are shaped like pyramids. I have purchased these tea bags at home and it is pretty pricey.

We headed there every morning for a relaxing cup of tea (with the mini biscotti of the day).

133197829_cafealbacio.jpg.cd97536daf13826cca5c1a825dbbfa44.jpg

• Like 1

They have not had Twinning brand on any cruise I have taken on Celebrity. The brand they had was not memorable. In fact, there have been times we couldn't find either Earl Grey or English Breakfast in the buffet - only some fruit flavors. It was the one thing I really complained about on my February cruise.

Edited by Algebralovr

They no longer have Twinnings or any other major brand for their no-extra charge tea. Their regular tea selection looks like some private label or commercial food service brand. The only exception is that on some, but not all, cruises I've seen a basic Tetley tea in a addition to this.

If you're picky about your tea then I'd either recommend bringing your own tea bags along or plan on sticking to the extra cost tea at Café al Bacio. As others have said the tea served at Café al Bacio is an excellent tea but it does run $4 or $5 a pot purchased individually. I don't know if this is available for purchase anyplace else on the ship or not.

• Like 1

What a shame if Celebrity has moved away from a wide selection of Twinings teas! I remember depending upon them on my 2006 Infinity cruise for my personal daily afternoon tea, as formal "tea" was served only once or twice on our 7-night cruise.

Perhaps we need to sail with Cunard or P&O to get really good tea.

What a shame if Celebrity has moved away from a wide selection of Twinings teas! I remember depending upon them on my 2006 Infinity cruise for my personal daily afternoon tea, as formal "tea" was served only once or twice on our 7-night cruise.

They have definitely moved away for Twinings. I think it was only on the cruise from England as there was none on the cruise I have taken on this side of the ocean. The supply was gone before we got to this side of the ocean. If you find a tea you love then I suggest to hoard as they tend to run out

• Like 1

I have only had Twinings when sailing for England. Other than that the brand is called First Tea. You need 2 bags to make it strong enough to taste

Seems a false economy for X to replace the perfectly good Twining's tea bags with tea bags of such poor quality that 2 bags are required to even taste the tea!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In April, onboard Silhouette, the tea (including Earl Gray) was Fields & Select, which we as tea snobs thought was consistently the best brand we've ever had. In the past we always appreciated Twinings over the mainstream brands, but thought this was even better. DH says it was smooth, intense, and aromatic, with no edge. The black tea was also exceptional.

• Like 1

I love my tea... Cannot get thru the day without a couple of cuppas.

The no-charge teas served in the Buffet & MDR are just ok... Not great

Best tea by far was the Forte Teas that is served in Cafe al Bacio (and also in Murano's, at least for the Afternoon Champagne Tea)

Forte Teas are expensive... I looked into them once I got home... $ 1 or more per bag depending on the quantity you buy.

Lol, still worth it tho... I bought a box.

This is but ONE MORE reason we find the Bevvy Pkg to be good value (it includes so many great items)

Cheers!

One does not have to cruise to get the tea of their choice. Some people have different priorities but I certainly don't see a need to revolt because the tea is not to one's taste. Celebrity's coffee is so bad that I became a tea drinker but there are many alternatives including bringing one's own if it is the only reason to pick a cruise vacation. :eek:

One does not have to cruise to get the tea of their choice. Some people have different priorities but I certainly don't see a need to revolt because the tea is not to one's taste. Celebrity's coffee is so bad that I became a tea drinker but there are many alternatives including bringing one's own if it is the only reason to pick a cruise vacation. :eek:

I agree.

And I'd be happy with a cuppa Red Rose :)

I strongly support bringing your own tea bags if you want a decent cup of tea and don't have the drinks package. Fortunately they don't weigh much. Then your only issue will be getting water that is hot enough - sometimes a challenge!

I strongly support bringing your own tea bags if you want a decent cup of tea and don't have the drinks package. Fortunately they don't weigh much. Then your only issue will be getting water that is hot enough - sometimes a challenge!

I so agree, next up the buffet challenge.........

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11469-celebrity-cruises-pilots-new-buffet-concept-.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In April, onboard Silhouette, the tea (including Earl Gray) was Fields & Select, which we as tea snobs thought was consistently the best brand we've ever had. In the past we always appreciated Twinings over the mainstream brands, but thought this was even better. DH says it was smooth, intense, and aromatic, with no edge. The black tea was also exceptional.

Never heard of that brand -- it does not show up anywhere in a quick internet search. Perhaps it is a private (very private ) label for Celebrity? I'll keep looking. You make it sound so appealing!

I am a Tetley drinker and was happy that on the Eclipse this past winter we were finally served Tetley - every year I always bring my own tea bags, but this year was able to put mine away. Now if only they could put aside some carafes for tea only - I hate the taste of the coffee residue or oils that our mixed in with our tea. Also it would be nice if the water wasn't tepid.

But on the positive - in the MDR I stress to our waiter at the start of the cruise that I would like my water boiled and have not had a problem since.

I am a Tetley drinker and was happy that on the Eclipse this past winter we were finally served Tetley - every year I always bring my own tea bags, but this year was able to put mine away. Now if only they could put aside some carafes for tea only - I hate the taste of the coffee residue or oils that our mixed in with our tea. Also it would be nice if the water wasn't tepid.

But on the positive - in the MDR I stress to our waiter at the start of the cruise that I would like my water boiled and have not had a problem since.

Hmmm...interesting. Years ago (2006) we sailed with Celebrity and I had tea in our cabin every afternoon -- always served in a tea pot, never a coffee carafe. On our recent Princess cruise, and our 2011 HAL cruise as well, tea always came in a teapot. It's hard to imagine tea served in a coffee vessel -- you were right to be disappointed! Hopefully you set them back on the right path!

Can you get earl grey in the Bac cafe on the Classic package?

Yes

Here is a link to a Café al Bacio menu. It a little dated so prices might be different but the teas probably haven't changed. I believe that all the teas (regular, herbal and iced) are included in the classic packages and above.

http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Cafe-al-Bacio-Menu-Silhouette-Dec-2012.pdf

Edited by Lsimon

We've received hot water in a coffee carafe a couple of times when we ordered from room service. The flavor of coffee was definitely there. It was always when we ordered more than 2 cups of tea at breakfast -I'm guessing to save space on the tray.

On Reflection in 2013, it happened, and we happened to be sitting upstairs outside the art studio on a sea day when the HD (Sue from the UK) walked up and was looking over the railing. She said good morning and asked if we were enjoying the cruise. I replied that we were, that it was a beautiful ship. I somewhat jokingly commented that my biggest complaint was receiving coffee scented water for my tea. That stopped her in her tracks and she asked me to elaborate. I said that we had received water via room service in a coffee carafe rather than a tea pot, and that it had a smell of coffee. Her response was that what we received should never happen. For the rest of the cruise, we always receive water in little tea pots.

We have found that we sometimes have to request fresh water in the MDR as well, if the large urns get mixed up and one that held coffee get hot water put into it. When we have a waiter from a location that drinks a lot of tea, it is never a problem. When we are seated in a station where all the waiters are from areas that drink mostly coffee, it is more likely to be a problem. At that point, I just ask for fresh water to be fetched from the kitchen, and request that they ask a colleague from someplace like India sniff the hot water urn. For the remainder of the cruise, it isn't an issue.