Convenient hotel near terminal in New York

Number34

We are planning to arrive in New York (Penn Staion) around 7 pm after a long train journey from Toronto. Want to have a pleasant last night before embarking on QM2 the next day for the trip home. Would welcome suggestions on hotels to stay in.

We are planning to arrive in New York (Penn Staion) around 7 pm after a long train journey from Toronto. Want to have a pleasant last night before embarking on QM2 the next day for the trip home. Would welcome suggestions on hotels to stay in.

I assume QM2 is departing from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. If you want to be close to the ship, Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is nearby, comfortable and reasonable.

https://www.choicehotels.com/new-york/brooklyn/comfort-inn-hotels/ny507?source=gglocaljn1

We stayed at the Super 8 in Park Slope, Brooklyn before a Transatlantic and after the subsequent return flight to JFK. Walking distance to nice restaurants if the weather is nice. Probably the smallest room with a king bed I've ever seen. Car fare to the pier was $10 or so.

Are you on the train today or tomorrow? I've stayed at the Choice and it was fine but I would suggest you get dinner before heading to the hotel, there aren't many restaurants nearby. I'm actually arriving at Penn Station today about 7, and will be heading to the Marriott. I'll have a first hand impression tomorrow.

Roy

We stayed at the Aloft in downtown Brooklyn. I think the cab fare to the Red Hook QM2 terminal was about $15. Downtown Brooklyn is hopping with lots of restaurants, plus excellent subway service into Manhattan. There are a couple of other hotels in downtown Brooklyn as well. As I recall, we payed less than $200 for a good room, small but well-designed and brand new.

Brooklynite here, just chiming in to add that the Choice near the ship is not near much else.

The central/downtown Brooklyn options would have more to offer nearby, both for dinner and a breakfast, morning stroll, or shopping before embarking. They'd be a cheap taxi to the ship, and a $30-ish taxi from Penn Station. (Likely you could do it on one subway, but presuming you have luggage, I'd spring for the cab.)

Edited by BoisDore

Thanks for all of the advice so far. Will be travelling later this year so plenty of time to plan. That said some hotels on booking.com don't seem to be that free.

Will check out the Aloft and also look at areas BoisDore suggests.

These are the rooms for my 2 stays in Brooklyn. First the Comfort Inn Cruise Terminal:

comfort1.jpg

And the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge:

marriottbb1.jpg

Both rooms were fine but the Marriott was a bit nicer. I'd probably go with the Comfort Inn for 1 night (after a Manhattan dinner) and Marriott for 2. Comfort offered a free shuttle to the port and a good breakfast but the limited dinner options were the one drawback. I also enjoyed going out EARLY in the morning and watching QM2 arrive.

Roy

Another thought here ... must you stay in Brooklyn? After a long train ride from Toronto into Penn Station, don't wrangle with a taxi to a destination in Brooklyn and then have to do it again the next morning to get to the ship in Red Hook. Just arrive Penn after 7 pm and go to the Hotel Pennsylvania, just across the street, 401 7th Avenue. Central, modest rates. Settle in, walk up 7th Ave. to Macy's, or Times Square, or down to Greenwich Village. Relax, have a night in New York City. Next morning near 11, take a yellow cab to the Queen Mary2 at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in Red Hook.... should be about $30 or have hotel concierge get you a car. Easy peasy!

The Comfort Inn is under new ownership. They NO longer offer free shuttle to the ship. There are no taxis around and the car service they called for us charged us $14 for a short 2 block ride to the terminal. Kelly

Thank you for that update. I would probably be ok with walking to the ship but it really changes the equation.

Roy

Great advice and lots of choice! We are staying in Manhattan when we arrive before going on to Montreal so fancy Brooklyn on the way back. Have reserved room in the Aloft but keeping options open.

My suggestion is to spend the evening near Penn Station and enjoy Broadway and midtown NY before boarding. Although Penn Station itself is ghastly, there are numerous decent-to-excellent hotels in the immediate area (check out the New Yorker and the Affinia for cheap-but-convenient-and-OK), and Broadway & Times Square are a few blocks uptown. The Empire State Building, Macy's, and Madison Square Garden right there.

The next morning (assuming a noon checkout) there will be more than enough time to take Dial7 or another car service to Red Hook to board.

Edited by MarkBearSF