Kids 3 & under in specialty restaurants?

justafirefly

Could I get clarification here? First time cruiser and I want to make sure I am interpreting correctly. TIA!

Per the Freestyle Cruising document at NCL.com (https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Freestyle-Cruising-Overview-042915.pdf), "Kids ages three and younger always eat for free, and kids ages four to 12 can choose from a complimentary kids’ menu in specialty restaurants" (doc page 3).

My husband and I have the SDP for 4 meals. We will also have our 2 year old with us.

1. We would like to attend Teppanyaki. My two year old son can join us there for no extra charge, is this correct?

2. My two year old can also have any items from the ala carte restaurants (Cagneys, Le Bistro, etc.) for no extra charge and is not restricted to the kid's menu since he is under 3 years of age? He has life threatening allergies to all dairy & nuts, so that rules out all of the items offered on the kid's menu (and yes, we have already notified NCL of his allergies and will be getting together once aboard ship to make a plan for feeding him).

Thanks again for helping!

Thank you for your prompt reply! I have printed the document to take along with us and refer to should we encounter any issues once on board. Considering there are no options on the kid's menu that comply with his allergens and medical needs, I certainly hope that they would honor their own policies.

They will have no issue bringing him allergy free food. From my understanding they have a special kitchen to stop cross contamination. But don't think you can go to Cagney's and order him a surf and turf for free because he is under 3.

Teppanyaki would not be as entertaining or recommended for people with allergies. IMO a 2 YO would be scared of the noise and fire ect.

I also want to say. Le Bistro is a very quiet small venue. One night we where dinning there and had a small child around 2 at the table next to us. He was a very good boy but 2 Yo's are not quiet and calm they don't sit still for a 90 min or 2 hour dinner and not make a peep.

The mom and dad kept apologizing as he kept getting my kids (13 and 11) attention to play peek a boo or make faces, ect. I thought he was a very well behaved but lots of people kept giving this family the stink eye. So just a warning bring something that's quiet to keep him occupied at dinner.

We are dining in speciality restAurNts throughout our cruise the youngest is 2 yrs old, we will enjoy. The other children with us are 9 and 11 they have dined around the world in many 5 star hotels from being babies, they are used to table manners, and dealing with waiters no service.

Go for it wherever you want to and enjoy

We went their with our boys when they were 2.5 years old and 10 months old. They just got a small size of the adult options at no charge. They did not have an issue with the noise or fire, and the entertainment kept them focused and polite.

The above being said, I would not recommend going there due to your son's allergies. It is one cooking station and butter is used.

Thank you all for your responses!

They will have no issue bringing him allergy free food. From my understanding they have a special kitchen to stop cross contamination. But don't think you can go to Cagney's and order him a surf and turf for free because he is under 3.

Teppanyaki would not be as entertaining or recommended for people with allergies. IMO a 2 YO would be scared of the noise and fire ect.

Confirmed: The Teppanyaki is VERY loud.

I am fine with them preparing whatever he can eat safely from the special kitchen and bringing it to the restaurant we are dining in. Thank you for letting me know about this! He doesn't need a surf and turf, but he is used to eating meals of meat and plain cooked vegetables. He cannot have meats fried in breading and such... and he is used to eating about 6-8oz of meat at a meal, so 2oz of grilled chicken is not going to cut it. He will be a month from 3 years when we cruise, loves fire and entertainment. We have taken him to a hibachi grill before with no issues. :)

A 2-year-old at Le Bistro?

I also want to say. Le Bistro is a very quiet small venue. One night we where dinning there and had a small child around 2 at the table next to us. He was a very good boy but 2 Yo's are not quiet and calm they don't sit still for a 90 min or 2 hour dinner and not make a peep.

The mom and dad kept apologizing as he kept getting my kids (13 and 11) attention to play peek a boo or make faces, ect. I thought he was a very well behaved but lots of people kept giving this family the stink eye. So just a warning bring something that's quiet to keep him occupied at dinner.

We are dining in speciality restAurNts throughout our cruise the youngest is 2 yrs old, we will enjoy. The other children with us are 9 and 11 they have dined around the world in many 5 star hotels from being babies, they are used to table manners, and dealing with waiters no service.

Go for it wherever you want to and enjoy

Thank you! As there is no childcare available for children under 3, we have no choice but to take him dining with us. We do intend to choose early dining (5:30-6:00) and not dine at bedtime. I assume the restaurants are used to attending to <3 years old since NCL has no childcare for that age & hopefully those with an issue with children eating would not be early diners. Most people I know don't book their romantic dinners for 5:30pm. That said, he is very well behaved & used to sitting at the dinner table with the family each night while we eat together. When we dine out we often get compliments about his good manners. Good tip to bring him activities! We let him play with puzzles and books at the table at home.

We went their with our boys when they were 2.5 years old and 10 months old. They just got a small size of the adult options at no charge. They did not have an issue with the noise or fire, and the entertainment kept them focused and polite.

The above being said, I would not recommend going there due to your son's allergies. It is one cooking station and butter is used.

All of the food is cooked on the flat top grill with garlic butter. For a life threatening dairy allergy this is probably not the best restaurant choice.

I will check into the possibility of having his food prepared in the special kitchen and then brought to us. As long as he is not ingesting the food prepared with allergens, he should be fine. Thank you!

I always eat at the Teppanyaki restaurant a couple times during my cruises and have seen children as young as 3 or 4 dining there. They seem to have a great time and didn't seem to be afraid of the noise and there was no fire, like in a land based restaurant. I'm sure you son will have a wonderful time.