Why do all the ships leave on SUNDAY??

Guest Time2gocruzn

Guest Time2gocruzn

Looking for our next 7 day...I have found 1 ship tht leaves on Saturday...everything else is Sunday. What is up w/ that? Kind of hard on those who have to be back to work on Monday...which I would think is MANY passengers.:confused: Is there a reason? Just curious...

According to the Carnival brochure, there are a couple of ships that sail out on Saturdays:

Glory ... Saturdays ....Port Canaveral

Conquest ...Sundays...New Orleans

Elation ....Sundays....Galveston

Valor ....Sundays....Miami

Triumph...Saturdays...Miami

Victory...Sundays ...Miami

Liberty...Saturdays...Ft. Lauderdale

Legend...Fridays ... Ft. Lauderdale

With the number of cruise ships sailing from each port, including all cruise lines, the availability of the ship having a place to dock is the main reason. Miami, for instance, can only handle 4 ships at once. Imagine the time needed for each ship to disembark passengers, take on new passengers and supplies. This alone accounts for about 10-hours of a 24-hr day. Doesn't leave much time to do another ship or two.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Bill

Looking for our next 7 day...I have found 1 ship tht leaves on Saturday...everything else is Sunday. What is up w/ that? Kind of hard on those who have to be back to work on Monday...which I would think is MANY passengers.:confused: Is there a reason? Just curious...

But leaving on Saturday when I have to work on Friday (which I think would be many passengers too) is just as difficult isn't it? We are driving from Pittsburgh to NYC on a Friday night after work to take a Saturday sail on the Triumph. I don't see a difference in Saturday/Sunday - it gets you either coming or going.

I find sailings out on Sunday to be easier. I can fly to the port on Saturday, spend the night and sail out on Sunday. When the ship returns on Sunday, I just get a flight home on Sunday. It is not necessary for me to take any extra time off. (I am mentally off for about the next 3 weeks trying to recover from the cruise and getting back to reality.:cool: )

I think that I'd prefer a saturday departure just so I have a day of rest upon my return. Cruising is not relaxing to me, so I NEED a rest before going back to work. I love to cruise, but it's just a non stop vacation and I have trouble keeping up! :)

We took Spirit to Alaska last Summer and it left Vancouver mid week which worked out good for us as it gave us 4 days in the interior of Alaska before flying back to the lower 48!

Personally, coming out of metro Chicago w/ all the bad weather 6+ mon/year and frequent (don't have to pay for cancelled/weather or mechanical delayed flights) "mechanical" problems of the airlines and thus I prefer to have at least a 1 day leaway to make the ship. I can always tourist, beach, pool, or shop in my embarcation port. Therefore, I tend to prefer ships leaving on Sunday. Also w/ connedtions at lplaces Port Canaveral via Orlando it is almost a requirement or drive yourself nuts situation. Even w/ FLL/MIA flights the estra day is helpful. My staff at work very well know I will be back on Mon in body if not "real" mind. In actual fact, I have taken several days post cruise to do the tourist thing and generally save a bunch on air by traveling mid-week. Vacation w/ a 7 day cruise is NEVER less than 8 days and often 10/more. The advantage of having worked for the same company 15 years and having 21 vacations days I guess.

There are pros and cons to both Saturday departures and Sunday. Right now, I like Sunday because we like to go down the day before but don't like taking the kids out of school to do so. Our next cruise will be on the Miracle which leaves on Sunday. I'm not thrilled about having to get right back to school and work on the Monday after but at least travelling down the day before isn't a conflict with school.

Guest Time2gocruzn
But leaving on Saturday when I have to work on Friday (which I think would be many passengers too) is just as difficult isn't it? We are driving from Pittsburgh to NYC on a Friday night after work to take a Saturday sail on the Triumph. I don't see a difference in Saturday/Sunday - it gets you either coming or going.

You are so right, LOL. I know it isn't all ships that leave on Sunday, but most of the ones I am looking at do. Just wondered if there was a reason, or if they just picked a day and went with it. I wonder if all those port authority people get time and a half, lol. On our last cruise, DH and I were laughing at how the port authority people probably go from absolutely nothing going on to total chaos as soon as that ship arrives:eek: :D

ok, i want everyone to stop crying, i got you all beat on this one....lol, i leave on my trip in june and the triumph leaves on a thursday and return on a monday in new york. i was trying work my vacation the best way i can with my boss and co-workers. CRAZY!!!

I find sailings out on Sunday to be easier. I can fly to the port on Saturday, spend the night and sail out on Sunday. When the ship returns on Sunday, I just get a flight home on Sunday. It is not necessary for me to take any extra time off. (I am mentally off for about the next 3 weeks trying to recover from the cruise and getting back to reality.:cool: )

I agree. Flying out on Saturday is much easier, for us...then we can head home on Sunday and return to work on Monday....since we must work to pay for cruising!!;)

The Liberty sails on Sunday but comes back on Saturday.

Going on a sunday allows me to go down the day before. (cant do that for a saturday cruise. But I am researching for next August and I find most ships leaving on a Saturday anyways.

As a travel professional, I can tell you one reason for so many Sunday departures is for the honeymooners. Most people still get married on Saturdays, and want to leave on their honeymoon the next day. I personally also prefer to leave on a Saturday, so I can get home and have a rest day before back to work on Monday.

Archived