Dress European? What's Appropraiate Dress?

GLOCKer

It was suggested to me that I dress more European on our upcoming RCI Northern Baltic cruise in July. That led me think, what exactly is the approprate clothing for sure excursions during that time of year for our ports? We're going to be seeing Helsinki, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, and Riga.

Thanks!

Have traveled extensively in North and Central Europe the last 6 years (for over 3 months total) and going to Italy this June. Have heard this sort of advice, but don't think it really matters a lot. Americans have certain traits, (as do Europeans traveling in America)and they don't go away easy. I will say I have been accused of being English and Canadian, but assume that is because Europeans have as much trouble with all the accents of English speakers as we do.

However, probably the easiest is don't wear white tennis shoes. Short pants are also a pretty positive indicator of American...or at least English speaker.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Have traveled extensively in North and Central Europe the last 6 years (for over 3 months total) and going to Italy this June. Have heard this sort of advice, but don't think it really matters a lot. Americans have certain traits, (as do Europeans traveling in America)and they don't go away easy. I will say I have been accused of being English and Canadian, but assume that is because Europeans have as much trouble with all the accents of English speakers as we do.

However, probably the easiest is don't wear white tennis shoes. Short pants are also a pretty positive indicator of American...or at least English speaker.

Just stop sewing the Canadian Flag on your backpack if you don't want to be "accused" of being Canadian.;)

It was suggested to me that I dress more European on our upcoming RCI Northern Baltic cruise in July. That led me think, what exactly is the approprate clothing for sure excursions during that time of year for our ports? We're going to be seeing Helsinki, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, and Riga.

Thanks!

I would not think it matters much. Your language, behavior and as mentioned before "certain traits" are sure give aways.:D:D

But, not wearing white tennis shoes with cute socks, shorts are a good start:)

I think the most important thing is to focus on enjoyment.

Enjoy the Legend OTS - its a great ship.

I really don't see why anyone would suggest that. Unless you speak fluent Finnish, Estonian etc you are pretty likely to be noticed as a tourist anyway. And you are visiting places where cruise ships arrive daily and contribute to the local economy. Why would it matter what you wear? Obviously, some places of worship have rules about dress if you wish to enter them but no-one in the Baltic countries will care if you walk round the streets wearing what you would wear at home.

It is hard to fit in any European country if you are an American/Canadian, but I have noted that many Europeans wear dark colors- pretty much black/grey with just a touch of color in a scarf or shirt. T-shirts, white athletic shoes, shirts advertising sports teams, baseball caps, big prints, etc. are typically not European.

I am also going to the more northern regions and I will fit in more easily there. If you are blonde and have the "all American look", you are not going to blend in the Mediterranean very well. I noted that there was almost nothing I could do to have the fashionable look like a young, Italian woman. They have great style. Of course, all we have to do is speak one word, and all the locals know, but we can still try.

As a European I think you will find that we do not dress so casual as north Americans and Australians in our cities and towns. It is very rare to see older men wear those awful baseball caps.

In the City of London almost everybody will be in business dress as they are working. In Madrid, Rome, Vienna etc most people will be smartly dressed. Neither will you see people constantly eating chewing gum, so undignified.

So, yes, Europeans do dress differently and I am glad we do.

I do think that there is some merrit in trying to blend in. You might get better service might not be such an obvious target for pickpockets, etc. You may want to check out the Zara and H&M websites to get an idea for some of the trends that these mass market chains are catering to.

In any case I would avoid (white) sport shoes, socks with shorts, khakis. In general, clothes in Europe are tighter, more closely fitted to the body.

Since clothes in the US are cheaper, we usually bring back bags and bags of stuff and it is all fine to wear here.

Thanks!

You know, it's YOUR cruise, YOUR vacation, you should wear what YOU feel comfortable in. Why worry about what others are wearing? You ARE the tourist, so why try and look otherwise. As soon as you open your mouth, they will know anyway.

Overall, we found that shorts are not as big in Europe as they are in the US. That suited us just fine as I look terrible in shorts. :D:D Jeans are worn everywhere.

Dress comfortably and that's it.

Cheers

Len

In Norway, you'll really only stick out if you're not dressed for the weather. Baseball caps and trainers are quite common around Oslo, and I'm more likely to get compliments on a high-end Gore-Tex jacket than a piece of designer clothing.

As a European I think you will find that we do not dress so casual as north Americans and Australians in our cities and towns. It is very rare to see older men wear those awful baseball caps.

In the City of London almost everybody will be in business dress as they are working. In Madrid, Rome, Vienna etc most people will be smartly dressed. Neither will you see people constantly eating chewing gum, so undignified.

So, yes, Europeans do dress differently and I am glad we do.

What a snobbish, unpleasant post. I hope the other posters don't imagine that all of us in the UK hold your views.

It's ot being snobbish. I like to be well presented and always try to be well dressed. I am not very svelte like these days, so no way would dream of wearing shorts, even on the beach. I take pride in my appearance.

Yes, I agree. Wear what you feel comfortable in, but do look in the mirror too. We are all entitled to our opinion.

Thank you for the replies. My main concern is to try to not stick out as an American in Moscow and St. Petersburg, if possible. I truly want to be comfortable too, as I will be on vacation. But, I'll probably reserve the shorts for while on the boat.

I don't think it much matters. So you try to appear European in a tour group of Americans or various nationalities, what is the point? There are dress codes for some venues such as the churches but really who cares? I can't conceal that I am American, and don't especially want to. I dress appropriately as I choose and am comfortable with, and don't imitate others, American, European, Asian, or whatever. The idea used to be to avoid being a target of terrorists or criminal predators, thus the Canadian flag thing. I think it's nonsense. Avoiding being a target of predators is a matter of awareness more than anything.

Thank you for the replies. My main concern is to try to not stick out as an American in Moscow and St. Petersburg, if possible. I truly want to be comfortable too, as I will be on vacation. But, I'll probably reserve the shorts for while on the boat.

I asked a tour guide in Russia if there was a danger of the skin heads attacking me. She told me no, I looked Russian and they wouldn't bother with me.

I don't think it much matters. So you try to appear European in a tour group of Americans or various nationalities, what is the point? There are dress codes for some venues such as the churches but really who cares? I can't conceal that I am American, and don't especially want to. I dress appropriately as I choose and am comfortable with, and don't imitate others, American, European, Asian, or whatever. The idea used to be to avoid being a target of terrorists or criminal predators, thus the Canadian flag thing. I think it's nonsense. Avoiding being a target of predators is a matter of awareness more than anything.

Haha! I was actually thinking of looking a little more inconspicuous to the police and government during a time of tension. I going along the line of though that it might not be a bad idea to not stick out like a sore thumb.

No matter what you do you will stick out as a tourist.

Be polite, dress neatly and appropriate for the venue and you will be just fine. Believe me, in Russia they know you are a tourist because you will be with your guide. :)

Lastly, I would never expect a visitor to the USA to dress like us, why would we dress like them?

The truth is that cruise passengers who like the OP arrive in Stockholm in July will not meet many locals at all. We have left the city for our summer places and instead all streets in the tourist areas are full of people from other parts of Sweden, or other countries. Everybody is on vacation and dressed accordingly, in jeans, shorts, t-shirts, sandals, sneakers etc. When I occasionally come back to the city during this time I always find it amazing how different the streets look.

Most of us in Sweden will have our holidays some time between June 20 and August 10. So cruise passengers arriving earlier or later in the season will see a more normal picture of Stockholm. But there is no reason at all to try to adapt to any dress code. Wear what you feel comfortable with, and most of all wear comfortable shoes. At least in Stockholm shorts are always OK (weather permitting), but perhaps in the city you wouldn't want to wear the very short ones.

Haha! I was actually thinking of looking a little more inconspicuous to the police and government during a time of tension. I going along the line of though that it might not be a bad idea to not stick out like a sore thumb.

Unless you are among the very small minority of passengers who get a Russian visa and go off on your own, you will be in a tour group so it will be very obvious to officialdom that you are a tourist. You really are overthinking this dress question. Just relax and look forward to your cruise. If the cruise line thinks there are likely to be any problems, you'll be missing out the port anyway.

Unless you are among the very small minority of passengers who get a Russian visa and go off on your own, you will be in a tour group so it will be very obvious to officialdom that you are a tourist. You really are overthinking this dress question. Just relax and look forward to your cruise. If the cruise line thinks there are likely to be any problems, you'll be missing out the port anyway.

It's a bit of a habit for me; probably a good reason I'm going on vacation! I'm in law enforcement and I'm always looking out for "potential threats" and I want to make sure my wife is safe! (Not that I think the government posses a particular threat, I just don't want to invite trouble.)

It's a bit of a habit for me; probably a good reason I'm going on vacation! I'm in law enforcement and I'm always looking out for "potential threats" and I want to make sure my wife is safe! (Not that I think the government posses a particular threat, I just don't want to invite trouble.)

We are the same - we avoid trouble by blending . Dark walking shoes and socks or jacket . Docker style pants and sport shirt . No tennis shoes are warm - ups unless running. I carry a man bag (acceptable in most of Europe and Russia) for my camera until I need it . Ladies dress nice and wear heels or practical walking shoes . And don't draw attention by talking and laughing loud ! We have spent 30 + days in Russia "dressed local" and never encountered any major problems.