Air Temperatures on a TRANSATLANTIC in Early May...looking forward to some deck time?

debjo

Greetings,

After doing a search through this forum, I wasn't able to find any information on the AIR TEMPERATURES when doing a Transatlantic Crossing early in the month of May. We're looking forward to some time on the outer decks of the QM2 and want to pack appropriate clothing. We've seen postings about weather on winter voyages, but nothing for late spring/early summer. We know that the North Atlantic can be fickle, but would appreciate any insights from those who've done a crossing from England to New York City.

In addition, we'd also like to be prepared for differing sea conditions during our 7 day journey. Are there typically days during a week-long trip that would encounter "rough" seas (apart from weather disturbances)? What times might we expect "smooth" sailing?

Thanks in advance for all your pearls of knowledge!

Debjo

For what it's worth, which is nothing as far as predicting the weather you will experience, between May 23 and June 4, 2006, we experienced mostly cloudy days with temperatures in the 50s on our NYC-Soton-NYC back-to-back crossings.

It was always breezy on deck of course because the ship was moving through the water and the air at 20+ knots. Even at today's slower speeds (it was a six-day crossing back then) you will have that breeze on deck, but it will vary depending on where you are on deck. We had some fog but no storms. Here is a site that reports the current Atlantic ocean wave and wind conditions.

Hey Debjo,

Those are great questions! We have only crossed in the fall, so this spring crossing will be a new experience for us, too.

One website I've enjoyed viewing just before sailing has wave height projections.

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

QM2 has time to maneuver away from storms (to some degree) now that it crosses in 7 days instead of 6.

The largest wave height we've personally experienced was 21 feet, which felt like "nothing" on the Mary.

Most of our crossings (granted they were all in the fall--but that is hurricane season) were in calm seas---to the point fellow passengers began to express desire for greater wave action.

I can't wait to learn what others have experienced in previous May crossings.

Thanks for asking the question!

Hi Debjo,

One thing we've learned after several crossings is that the weather is unpredictable and changeable.

It may just be my imagination, but I'd say the weather tends to improve as you head west (and therefor south). Off Newfoundland it can be calm but foggy so feels colder.

As jimmybean says, QM2 has time, and reserves of power, that allow her to avoid the worst of the weather. On one crossing we were predicted to sail right through the centre of three storms. As soon as we were out of Southampton the captain 'put his foot down'. We rocketed down the channel, headed south of the first storm, zig-zagged north of the second, and the third one just fizzled out.

These clips are from QM2's Maiden Crossing in April 2004.

shows some of the waves (some 'in excess of 70ft'). This was shot from inside because the outside decks were closed for two days. In
you can get an idea of the temperatures by the clothing. You will see that out of the wind it was possible to sunbathe in swimwear. And it's probably the wind, and its direction, that will make all the difference. A 20 knot wind from ahead can feel wild, a 20 knot wind from astern and you will feel nothing.

Looking forward to meeting you on board. Regards, Colin

Hi Debjo

We are also on your crossing, this will be our 5th on QM2. All but one were Spring crossings in May. We love to go outside and walk around the upper decks, it is usually very windy. Bring a windproof jacket with hood. On our first crossing we experienced a Force 11 Storm, but it was no problem for QM2, other crossings were very calm. Love the sheltered balconys. It will probably not be very warm weather but it will not stop you from spending time outside. Cathy

Greetings,

After doing a search through this forum, I wasn't able to find any information on the AIR TEMPERATURES when doing a Transatlantic Crossing early in the month of May. We're looking forward to some time on the outer decks of the QM2 and want to pack appropriate clothing. We've seen postings about weather on winter voyages, but nothing for late spring/early summer. We know that the North Atlantic can be fickle, but would appreciate any insights from those who've done a crossing from England to New York City.

In addition, we'd also like to be prepared for differing sea conditions during our 7 day journey. Are there typically days during a week-long trip that would encounter "rough" seas (apart from weather disturbances)? What times might we expect "smooth" sailing?

Thanks in advance for all your pearls of knowledge!

Debjo

Hello Debjo, The weather has done some strange things this year, both sides of the Atlantic, so anything could happen. We did the New York to Southampton crossing a few years ago in early May. It was grey, foggy and quite cold with a strong wind all the way, we did get a 'deck walk' each day, but you certainly needed a coat and sadly it was not the weather to sit out on the deck or to utilise the balcony. One day it was a little bit 'bumpy' but nothing to worry about. The QM copes really well choppy conditions. But, rest assured even if the weather is not great you will have a wonderful time as there is so much going on all day and the QM is a fabulous ship. Enjoy.

We did a TA on QM2 in mid July in her inaugural year and, although the ocean was as calm as a millpond all the way, and the skies were generally sunny, the temperature on deck was rather chilly in the stiff breeze, so we didn't sit out too much, unfortunately.

But we did get to throw flowers into the wake, as we passed over the exact spot where Titanic sank, which was rather poignant, and memorable.

We crossed in Mid-May once before and it was quite chilly on deck. However, we did see some folks bundled in their coats and hoods sitting in the deck chairs with blankets over them. Not for me!! We used our balcony only when we wanted to a bit of fresh air and that was just a very short time. We will be doing it again this May, so we will see if it is any different.

On a transatlantic crossing "deck time" will often mean a brisk walk or jog around the promenade deck. Those who lounge are more likely to be in street clothes rather than bathing suits.

The "readers" seem to prefer the steamer lounges on the promenade deck. The "sunbathers" tend to congregate on her aft end where the wind screens offer protection.

She's an ocean liner. That's why she doesn't have the warm weather amenities like the cabanas now frequently found on cruise ships - they would get blown off within five minutes.

Edited by BlueRiband

We did a TA last June from NY to southampton and the weather was warm and sunny for the first couple of days. Because we had a following wind at roughly the same speed as the ship it was as if there was no wind at all. Strangely, though, despite the beautiful conditions on deck, they never opened the Boardwalk Cafe and there was a steady stream of passengers going up to it, trying the door, and then walking away with puzzled/annoyed comments.

GOOD DAY EVERYONE!

While I am still suffering the ravages of winter here in Central New York at the end of March...temperatures in the teens today with wind chill factored into the single digits...I'm desperately looking forward to our vacation on the QM2.

I'm thankful and amazed that my simple question brought out so many great answers to my temperature & wave condition question. I'm not a sun worshipper, so don't care to get a "tan" like many people do on their cruise/voyage vacations...but I do enjoy being outside on deck and experiencing the fullness of being out on the ocean...wind in my hair, aroma of the sea, and motion of the ship. I hope that there will be enough sun on our early May trip to warrant some nice sunset pictures...but equally enjoy some of the photos I've taken in fog banks while on the sea. My husband and I like to walk the promenade and open decks, even in the darkness of night. There is something intriguing and mystifying about experiencing the ship, in all its glory, when it is shrouded in darkness with only the stars lighting the sky!

With all that everyone has added here, I'm envisioning our trip to be similar in temperatures to what we experienced on an Alaskan Inside Passage cruise that we did early in May of 2007. Of course, those were extremely calm waters and, without alarming anyone, we look forward to having at least one day on the QM2 where we'll be able to experience what a true ocean liner feels like as she slices through some waves that would "rattle the timbers" of any other vessel. (We just don't want to have an entire week of that!)

I'll have to check out those "links" that some of you have provided...thank you for sharing! I'm sure it will be valuable research.

For those C.C. members who will also be on the May 9th QM2 sailing...my husband and I look forward to meeting all of you too! We're sure that this is going to be a very memorable trip...one that will rank among the best of the cruises we've taken! At times, DH and I have thought we'd be bored on this voyage that is completely without Ports-Of-Call. Many have assured us that there will be ample activities on board. We have always loved the "sea days" that other trips have had interspersed between the Ports-Of-Call...still, it will seem odd to us to have an entire trip of "sea days".

nellydean mentioned "throwing flowers into the wake" as they passed over the spot where the TITANIC sank. Is this something that is regularly done on the QM2's Transatlantic Crossings? (Of course, we realize that her course isn't exactly the same on each trip...so it might be hit and miss on this one.) Still, it would be something that my husband poignantly would look forward to doing.

Thanks again for sharing all your QM2 weather-related experiences. They really give us a better idea of what to expect! The hard part will be figuring out how to pack everything we need into one suit-case and one carry-on each!

In gratitude,

Debjo

Edited by debjo

... nellydean mentioned "throwing flowers into the wake" as they passed over the spot where the TITANIC sank. Is this something that is regularly done on the QM2's Transatlantic Crossings? (Of course, we realize that her course isn't exactly the same on each trip...so it might be hit and miss on this one.) Still, it would be something that my husband poignantly would look forward to doing. ...
In our half dozen QM2 crossings I've never heard of that throwing flowers thing. On every crossing there is mention during the noon announcement on the day when the ship is south of Newfoundland of how many miles we are from the site of Titanic's resting place. Granted, the loss of Titanic was something special and a compelling argument has been made that QM2 would never have been built had not Titanic hit that berg and had not that 1997 movie been made, but I believe it's long past time to let Titanic rest in peace and silence.

In our half dozen QM2 crossings I've never heard of that throwing flowers thing. On every crossing there is mention during the noon announcement on the day when the ship is south of Newfoundland of how many miles we are from the site of Titanic's resting place. Granted, the loss of Titanic was something special and a compelling argument has been made that QM2 would never have been built had not Titanic hit that berg and had not that 1997 movie been made, but I believe it's long past time to let Titanic rest in peace and silence.

Agreed. On a personal note, however: on a family crossing in 2007 our son proposed to his girlfriend whilst on deck near the fatal coordinates. We have a beloved daughter-in law and grandson, and shall always have fond recollections of that lonely spot in the North Atlantic.

GOOD DAY EVERYONE! While I am still suffering the ravages of winter here in Central New York at the end of March... temperatures in the teens today with wind chill factored into the single digits... I'm desperately looking forward to our vacation on the QM2. I'm thankful and amazed that my simple question brought out so many great answers to my temperature & wave condition question. I'm not a sun worshipper, so don't care to get a "tan" like many people do on their cruise/voyage vacations...but I do enjoy being outside on deck and experiencing the fullness of being out on the ocean...wind in my hair, aroma of the sea, and motion of the ship. I hope that there will be enough sun on our early May trip to warrant some nice sunset pictures...but equally enjoy some of the photos I've taken in fog banks while on the sea. My husband and I like to walk the promenade and open decks, even in the darkness of night. There is something intriguing and mystifying about experiencing the ship, in all its glory, when it is shrouded in darkness with only the stars lighting the sky! With all that everyone has added here, I'm envisioning our trip to be similar in temperatures to what we experienced on an Alaskan Inside Passage cruise that we did early in May of 2007. Of course, those were extremely calm waters and, without alarming anyone, we look forward to having at least one day on the QM2 where we'll be able to experience what a true ocean liner feels like as she slices through some waves that would "rattle the timbers" of any other vessel. (We just don't want to have an entire week of that!) I'll have to check out those "links" that some of you have provided...thank you for sharing! I'm sure it will be valuable research. For those C.C. members who will also be on the May 9th QM2 sailing...my husband and I look forward to meeting all of you too! We're sure that this is going to be a very memorable trip...one that will rank among the best of the cruises we've taken! At times, DH and I have thought we'd be bored on this voyage that is completely without Ports-Of-Call. Many have assured us that there will be ample activities on board. We have always loved the "sea days" that other trips have had interspersed between the Ports-Of-Call...still, it will seem odd to us to have an entire trip of "sea days". nellydean mentioned "throwing flowers into the wake" as they passed over the spot where the TITANIC sank. Is this something that is regularly done on the QM2's Transatlantic Crossings? (Of course, we realize that her course isn't exactly the same on each trip...so it might be hit and miss on this one.) Still, it would be something that my husband poignantly would look forward to doing. Thanks again for sharing all your QM2 weather-related experiences. They really give us a better idea of what to expect! The hard part will be figuring out how to pack everything we need into one suit-case and one carry-on each! In gratitude, Debjo
Hi Debjo,

These pictures...

Were taken on a May 2011 QM2 crossing.

My chief memories of that trip are an amazing sailaway party and... FOG! (see photos :eek: )

Looking forward to meeting you on May 10th! :)

Hope this helps,

Edited by pepperrn

Most of our Transatlantics have been in April or May. Sea states can be anywhere from dead calm all the way across (rare) to very stormy with massive seas. For that, you need to be on QM2. She can handle it. As has been mentioned, you will most likely endure windy conditions on deck unless there is a following wind near the speed of the ship. Usually warm and sunny (if it happens at all) will be a day or two out of NYC. Remember, you are sailing in water that for most of the voyage is just above freezing. Enjoy the liner aspects of the trip and don't count on lounging in the sun. That way, if it does happen, you will be pleasantly surprised.:D

Agreed. On a personal note, however: on a family crossing in 2007 our son proposed to his girlfriend whilst on deck near the fatal coordinates. We have a beloved daughter-in law and grandson, and shall always have fond recollections of that lonely spot in the North Atlantic.
Congratulations! Now that is something worth celebrating with flowers.

For pepperrn...

While we've perused some of your Flicker QM2 Albums before, in looking for details of the ship's cabins, I don't think we ever viewed the one you specifically linked us to. Thanks so much for prompting us to do so...it was a thrill to see all those 2011 photos in the slideshow. We were transfixed and the experience was a bit surreal, as we had an "Enya" CD playing at the same time, which added an interesting perspective to some of your photos.

We couldn't help but wonder...How were you able to get those full profile shots of the QM2 as she departed Southampton? Did you have someone shore-side who captured your "sail away" in the pictures? I think that is one thing we are going to MISS on this trip...getting full profile pictures of the ship. Normally we get to capture the full essence of a ship on our cruise vacations when we are taking the tender boat to shore at a Port-Of-Call -or- when the ship is fully docked. I'm not sure we'll be able to get any "full view" pictures of the QM2 when we embark from Southampton or when we disembark in Brooklyn. Now, I'm wishing we were taking an over-night stay in New York City, so we could catch a harbor boat tour there, and be able to witness the QM2 from afar as she's docked at the terminal.

Thank you so much for sharing your photo memories with us all!

Debjo

Edited by debjo

debjo I personally Will be paying my respects to those who lost their life on Titanic, and I will also be taking time while in NYC to pay my respects to the Victims of 9/11. Tragedies especially of this magnitude should never be consigned to silence. I hope your Husband finds the time to do it also.

For pepperrn... While we've perused some of your Flicker QM2 Albums before, in looking for details of the ship's cabins, I don't think we ever viewed the one you specifically linked us to. Thanks so much for prompting us to do so...it was a thrill to see all those 2011 photos in the slideshow. We were transfixed and the experience was a bit surreal, as we had an "Enya" CD playing at the same time, which added an interesting perspective to some of your photos.
Hi debjo,

Thank you, glad you liked them :) .

We couldn't help but wonder...How were you able to get those full profile shots of the QM2 as she departed Southampton? Did you have someone shore-side who captured your "sail away" in the pictures?
Yes, my brother. I was escorting my elderly parents (their second voyage on QM2, first time visiting New York) and he was kind enough to drive us to the Ocean Terminal. After taking a few pictures of us in the terminal, he then went to Hythe Pier to get more photos of our departure. Thank you again :) . Edited by pepperrn

I was thinking of a early morning trip to the Town Quay Car Park to see if I can capture the arrivals
I was going to suggest an after-breakfast ferry trip to Hythe Pier and back, but you'd only see one end of QM2 (at the Ocean Terminal), not a broadside view, although the ferry passes right past the QEII Terminal so great for photos of QE (she is at the QEII Terminal on May 9th, isn't she?). Edited by pepperrn

I was thinking of a early morning trip to the Town Quay Car Park to see if I can capture the arrivals

Last time I stayed in London the night prior. Will be staying in Southampton this time. Not usually an early bird but may try to get up early, take some photos, and go back to bed!

nellydean mentioned "throwing flowers into the wake" as they passed over the spot where the TITANIC sank. Is this something that is regularly done on the QM2's Transatlantic Crossings?

Never come across that before, although I have heard of it.

On The Maiden Crossing there was a short service/ceremony one day where Commodore (Ron) Warwick scattered his father's (Commodore Bil Warwick) and mother's ashes over the stern of the ship. Anyone who knew his parents or had sailed with his father was invited and a number of passengers attended.

Then as she made her way up the Hudson for the first time we stopped off Ground Zero and a wreath was thrown into the water, by Maureen Ryan if I remember correctly.

Regards, Colin.

That's probably because the flowers thing was our own initiative. We couldn't find any in the shop, so we asked in one of the dining rooms and they kindly let us have some, which we threw into the wake as we passed the spot.

The captain made a big thing of it, and announced several times beforehand that for those interested, he would sound the horn when the ship was directly over the spot where Titanic sank.

Whether it was because it was her inaugural year, or, just because we just so happened to be passing in the exact area, I don't know but, for me, it was a memorable moment. To be able to commemorate those who perished one cold dark night, so long ago, was my own personal tribute to the 1,500-odd lost souls and is to be be taken in the spirit it was meant, not as some goulish intrusion.