St Maarten/St Martin -Great Day on our Own

kjquilts

Thanks to posts on this board we knew of the mosquito problem in St Maarten prior to our Jan 28th visit from the Norwegian Epic. Our first eastern caribbean cruise (also on the Epic) missed St Maarten due to Hurricane Earl and I wasn't going to miss her again. We may have looked like dorks with our long pants and long sleeves but I felt safer with those and liberal application of Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus. Am happy to report we saw no mosquitos and had no bites. A couple times on our journey we weren't sure exactly where we should be so we just asked for directions. We found the people of St Martin/ St Maarten to be very friendly and helpful and really loved the island (both sides).

There were six ships in town so we decided to start with Marigot on the French side. We walked from the ship to Philipsburg (very easy walk with signs pointing the way). When we reached Back Street we asked someone where to catch the bus to Marigot and they pointed it out. Sign for Marigot was in the window and driver confirmed it was $2.00. When driver dropped us off we weren't sure where we were heading but started walking - along streets with shops and restaurants with signs in English and French. Somewhere along the way we ended up at the Office De Tourisme where we were given a map and allowed to use the restroom. We walked along the street fronting the harbor - it was really beautiful.

DSCN0789_zps840a6ffd.jpg

This is photo of the pathway leading from Philipsburgh back to the ships - forgot to take one when we started out.

DSC01469_zps4bd84f2a.jpg

MARIGOT

DSCN0798_zps3d8b3b4f.jpg

DSCN0799_zps71cdcebe.jpg

DSC01392_zpsaa5e3dfb.jpg

DSCN0801_zpsdb7b96ec.jpg

to be continued

Marigot Continued

Fort Louis in the top of this photo was our destination but we had some stops planned on the way.

DSCN0802_zpsf794ca2d.jpg

DSCN0805_zps73270f95.jpg

DSC01406_zpsdc021a75.jpg

DSC01405_zpsbfab50ba.jpg

The strawberry/custard dessert in the second row was tres bien :)

DSC01404_zps9f886e70.jpg

to be continued

Marigot continued

Straw Market - enjoyed this one more than most

DSC01413_zpsbcadf057.jpg

I have this hand crank Singer sewing machine at home as one of my "collection". Lady who ran this booth uses the machine daily. She didn't want to be included in the photo.

DSC01417_zpsfa02db2d.jpg

DSC01407_zps1b7a7c8e.jpg

Fort Louis - this is very easy to find as it is above Marigot. We weren't sure how far or difficult the climb would be but decided to go as far as we could and quit if necessary. View on the way up

DSC01420_zpsf3531248.jpg

You start out walking on the road then it changes to rustic stairs/path. It was not wet out and there was a hand rail so we didn't have any difficulty. Here is photo of the path above us

DSC01423_zps898f1bb0.jpg

DSC01436_zps14dd722a.jpg

to be continued

Marigot - Fort Louis continued

Victory !!

DSC01433_zps57f5fe5e.jpg

Another beautiful view as a reward for making it to the top

DSC01443_zpsd70af077.jpg

The walk down from Fort Louis into Marigot was easy. We caught the bus back to Philipsburgh with just a little help. This is from inside the bus.

DSC01448_zpsffca926e.jpg

This is as close as we got to Maho. We watched the videos on youtube and decided it wasn't on our wish list even if it looked like this photo.

DSC01462_zps5db1f951.jpg

Back in Philipsburg near the port it was nice that the roads were closed to traffic due to the number of ships in port.

DSCN0839_zps1939ba4e.jpg

DSC01452_zpsa10f11ed.jpg

to be continued

You walked all the way up to Fort St. Louis wow!!! That is a lot of steps. I cheat and only walk the last set of stairs.:o

Thanks for sharing your day. Really great that you were determined to have a great day and just did it inspire of being justifiably concerned about the Mosquitos. Did you hear anyone complaining on the ship about being bothered by Mosquitos in St. Martin? Thanks

St Martin / St Maarten conclusions

DSC01473_zps14384431.jpg

DSC01474_zps008d135f.jpg

Thanks again to those of you who posted on these boards how to do this wonderful island on your own. We had a wonderful and surprisingly low cost day. We were charmed by the people on both sides of the island - friendly, not pushy at all and very helpful.

You walked all the way up to Fort St. Louis wow!!! That is a lot of steps. I cheat and only walk the last set of stairs.:o

Thanks for sharing your day. Really great that you were determined to have a great day and just did it inspire of being justifiably concerned about the Mosquitos. Did you hear anyone complaining on the ship about being bothered by Mosquitos in St. Martin? Thanks

We really did walk all the way ... just took our time and stopped several times to enjoy the scenery. Towards the top there were workers clearing along the pathway and lol I was bound and determined to make it all the way. Didn't want them to think I was too old or too heavy :)

Didn't hear anything on the ship about mosquitos before or after St Martin. I had posted what I read here on our roll call in case people wanted to be prepared with repellent but received no response at all. Think we four were the only ones from the Epic in long pants :)

We really did walk all the way ... just took our time and stopped several times to enjoy the scenery. Towards the top there were workers clearing along the pathway and lol I was bound and determined to make it all the way. Didn't want them to think I was too old or too heavy :)

Didn't hear anything on the ship about mosquitos before or after St Martin. I had posted what I read here on our roll call in case people wanted to be prepared with repellent but received no response at all. Think we four were the only ones from the Epic in long pants :)

The great part about that climb is the reward at the top. :)

I have looked at your pictures 3 times now. My little St. Maarten fix:) with this cold winter I really needed it. Thanks:)

• 3 weeks later...
Did you take the bus back to the port? If so was it hard to find where to get on and select the correct bus?

I'm so sorry for delay in responding - just saw your question. We did take the local bus back. After the walk down from Fort Louis it's only a couple blocks to the main streets of Marigot. We saw a sign that said Philipsburg so figured the bus stop should be close :) Asked a passerby where to catch the $2.00 bus and they told us ... one came along shortly thereafter, we confirmed it was the correct vehicle before getting on. In one of the photos taken from on the walk up to the fort you can see how close it is to Marigot and how small the town area is.

That is a great idea to go up the fort.

A few questions: Was the $2 bus, $2 american or 2 Euro?

Do all ships dock at the same place? (do the bigger ships go somewhere else)

Did you feel hassled at all?

That is a great idea to go up the fort.

A few questions: Was the $2 bus, $2 american or 2 Euro?

Do all ships dock at the same place? (do the bigger ships go somewhere else)

Did you feel hassled at all?

Bus was $2 american and we tipped $1. We had no problems spending american $s anywhere. Even in Marigot most restaurants had menu prices with american and euro pricing. We passed so many excellent looking restaurants during our walk but we were on a mission to reach the fort. I did insist on stopping at Sarafina's and we all enjoyed the treats and the rest.

We were on the Epic - she and 5 other ships were all docked together.

Honestly - we loved St Maarten/St Martin. Absolutely no hassles - no one trying to drag us into their shops or stores, no hassling at the straw market, nothing. It was about as far away from the Cozumel experience as you can get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I had to read my thread again because we're going back to St Maarten :)

Sailing on the Getaway on January 17th - last minute booking and one of our stops is St. Maarten. We really loved the island and are so happy to be returning. We may do a carbon copy of our first visit except for stopping at one of the many excellent looking restaurants along the waterfront in Marigot for lunch. This time it will just be Larry and myself - our cruising buddies are staying home. We're all sailing together again in October but I could not resist the pricing on the Getaway and she's been on my "bucket list".

Lucky you! :). Have you thought about changing buses in Marigot and going on to Grand Case instead this time? There are boutiques and fabulous restaurants over looking the water with Creole Rock and Anguilla in the distance. For your "hike" you can climb the path up to the L'Esplanade Hotel. It's a beautiful place with lovely views of Grand Case Bay. What ever you do I hope that you have a wonderful day on the island.:)

Do you know what time things opened? What time the bakery and shops opened? Did you see the chocolate box? How long was the bus ride?

How long was the bus ride to Marigot? Do you have any idea how often the buses run?

The bus ride to Marigot from Philipsburg is about a 40 min. ride. Not quite sure exactly how often they run, but the buses do run pretty often.

Stores open anywhere from 9 - 10 am.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

• 2 years later...

Bumping my own thread because I wanted to give someone a link to it and it took me a while to find it.

We've been back to St Maarten once since then and will return again. Working on bucket list cruises now :)