Carnival Orders 4 New Ships

LSUcajunmom

Awesome news!

Is this additional to the nine they already ordered?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article16398971.html

not in addtion too, but represents where 4 of the 9 will be built...

The four new cruise ships - part of a previously announced nine-ship strategic partnership for the world's largest cruise company - will be the largest ever built based on guest capacity

The vessels will feature a revolutionary "green cruising" design as the first-ever cruise ships powered at sea by Liquefied Natural Gas, the world's cleanest burning fossil fuel

Based on Carnival Corporation's innovative new ship design, each of the four next-generation ships will have a total capacity of 6,600 guests, feature more than 5,000 lower berths, exceed 180,000 gross tons and incorporate an extensive number of guest-friendly features.

Those are going to be some big ships! I hope carnival is getting them and not a sister company.

Those are going to be some big ships! I hope carnival is getting them and not a sister company.

Highly unlikely as the last part of the article discusses other units under the Carnival umbrella. I would bet that they will be spread across the fleet.

Highly unlikely as the last part of the article discusses other units under the Carnival umbrella. I would bet that they will be spread across the fleet.

The article under Cruise Critic news says these four will be for AIDA and Costa.

Based on Carnival Corporation's innovative new ship design, each of the four next-generation ships will have a total capacity of 6,600 guests, feature more than 5,000 lower berths, exceed 180,000 gross tons and incorporate an extensive number of guest-friendly features.

The ships just keep getting bigger and bigger. Pretty soon the ships will be bigger than the islands they are visiting.

However, one must keep an eye on the passenger space ratio. The Oasis class of ships has (or had before the drydock) a passenger space ratio over 41. Based on the quoted paragraph, the Carnival ships will have a passenger space ratio of 36 or less.

MIAMI, June 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK), the world's largest travel and leisure company, today announced it has signed a multi-billion dollar contract to build four next-generation cruise ships with the largest guest capacity in the world.

If the above quoted paragraph is correct, the passenger space ratio will be closer to 33. Get below 30 and it is going to start to feel really crowded.

Edited by Cuizer2

6600 passengers each and by weight much smaller than RCCL biggest ships.

Might be some very crowded ships.

Two are for their German cruise line, wonder who gets the other two.

180,000 tons is not a weight rating, it is a space rating. One ton equals 100 cubic feet of inside space.

not in addtion too, but represents where 4 of the 9 will be built...

The four new cruise ships - part of a previously announced nine-ship strategic partnership for the world's largest cruise company - will be the largest ever built based on guest capacity

The vessels will feature a revolutionary "green cruising" design as the first-ever cruise ships powered at sea by Liquefied Natural Gas, the world's cleanest burning fossil fuel

They're going to have to be big ships, since it takes about 6 times the weight of LNG to equal the energy in a pound of diesel or residual fuel. So, the fuel tanks will have to be 6 times as big, and add in the insulation of the tanks and the re-liquifaction equipment, the below decks area will need to increase substantially.

Me: John will any of these 4 new ships be part of carnival or will they be with a sister company? A 180,000 ton ship would be amazing with carnival!

John Heald: the future is very very wunderbar for us :) thats all I can say at the moment mate, cheers

2 of the ships say they are undisclosed.... maybe we will get lucky!

Edited by mykeb14

Too big, too many people, and as stated they will probably be too crowded. I am not in a hurry to cruise any of the large ships.

I want to know I am on a ship. However, I know at some point I will have to step on board one of them, I just hope I am wrong about my expectations. I find it hard to believe they will have a "ship" feel.

here's the actual press release from carnival corp:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=200767&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2059018

selected excerpts:

The company said two of the ships will be manufactured for AIDA Cruises at Meyer Werft's shipyard in Papenburg, Germany. Additional information about the ships, including which new ships will be added to each brand, will be made available at a later date.

“These ships will expand our leadership position for the Costa Group, the market leader in all the major European markets,” said Thamm. “These will be spectacular ships designed specifically for our guests who sail on our Costa Group brands.”

Costa Crociere S.p.A. is the leading cruise company in Europe. The 25 ships of the brands Costa Crociere, AIDA Cruises and Costa Asia together have a total capacity of 68,800 beds. The fleet will be further strengthened by two new vessels with a total of 8,700 beds by 2016.

the wording of the press release is a bit ambiguous but it appears they may go to aida and costa group lines. i also wouldn't be surprised to see at least one or two of them go to asia under the costa / costa asia branding