Bar Hop Excursion

Uncwrn93

This looks like it would be fun for myself, husband and daughter. We haven't booked outside of the cruise line previously. We're in Cozumel from 9am - 6pm. This is listed as 4 1/2 hours. For those of you who have done this. What time did you start? Did you still have time to shop around Cozumel after?

This looks like it would be fun for myself, husband and daughter. We haven't booked outside of the cruise line previously. We're in Cozumel from 9am - 6pm. This is listed as 4 1/2 hours. For those of you who have done this. What time did you start? Did you still have time to shop around Cozumel after?

We have done it and would do it again in a heartbeat!! It was a blast! The tour time will depend on what time the ships are arriving that day. It varies. We were on DCL when we went so we docked right at Punta Langosta (very close to the meeting point for Bar Hop). We arrived at 7 am, but the hop started at 8:30 when we went.

If there are other ships (or if you're on a big ship) they will adjust the start time to make sure they can fill a tour. Our hop lasted about 5 hrs by the time we got back to town, but we stopped and dropped others off at the two southern piers first, so their hops were probably about 4.5 hrs. They are good about matching people up to what time the ships arrive and leave so that they can fill a van.

They will drop you off right at the pier, so you will probably have a little time to shop at the pier, but unless you are right at Punta Langosta Pier, you will not have time to go to town. There is a little shopping in some markets along the way on the tour though, so keep that in mind and take cash.

THank you that's awesome information. How do I know what pier my ship will be at? We are on Carnival Magic.

Carnival docks at the Puerta Maya Pier (the southernmost pier) generally. Almost always. There are some websites that will confirm that like CruiseTT.com.

You would need to take a taxi (about $8) to town to catch the Bar Hop Bus. It's simple and easy. Then they will drop you off back at the pier.

Depending on what time your Hop starts, you could go to town early (say if the Hop goes at 10:30) and shop for an hour before the Hop. Lots of shopping right there at the meeting point. You will be able to keep anything you purchased on the bus/van with no problems.

Is this the Cozumel Bar Hop that starts at Senor Frogs? I'm just wondering if it will be ok for a solo girl travelling alone? Or will I be bored?

Chrissy - it would be an AWESOME thing to do solo! We went as a couple, and there were a wide variety of others onboard. There were 3 single women togheter, a few other couples, one single with her parents, etc. By the end of the day, we were all just intermingling and having a blast. It's a perfect opportunity to get to know some people and have a great day in Cozumel.

Now that I think of it, if I were cruising single to Coz, this is EXACTLY what I would do (knowing what it's like from already experiencing it).

Yes, it generally meets and starts at Sr. Frogs in town.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

I did the Bar Hop this past week as a solo, and have already signed up for my next visit in December... Its a great way to get away from the touristy side of Cozumel and visit some awesome, off the beaten path beach bars. The guacamole and salsa at Coconuts is great, as well as the coconut shrimp at Rastas...

Uncwrn93 - LOVE the Bar hop! Went this last January and we are booked again for January 2016 and will probably book for our Dec 2016 cruise as well! We had a little time to shop at the Carnival port which has quite a bit right there by the ship..

Chrissy - if I ever go solo, this would be the excursion I would do - would feel completely comfortable doing this on my own! I don't know when your going, but if you are there January 25th, 2016 your welcome to hang with my DH and I! :D

Question for those of you who've done it... how much cash do you recommend we bring? I paid our $27 per person deposit and I know we must bring $30 per person cash to pay the remainder. But then how much should we bring for drinks and food? And should we plan to tip the driver?

Question for those of you who've done it... how much cash do you recommend we bring? I paid our $27 per person deposit and I know we must bring $30 per person cash to pay the remainder. But then how much should we bring for drinks and food? And should we plan to tip the driver?

We've done the Bar Hop twice, and will absolutely do it again! How much money you need depends on how much you eat and drink. Beer wasn't much, mixed drinks were higher. We took about $100 USD for 2, plus tipped $20 to our host and $10 for the driver.

My recommendation is to just take more than you think you'll need, and take it home if you don't use it.

• 3 weeks later...
this sounds wonderful for several single ladies. But ... we are arriving 1:30 Jan 30th. Carnival Victory. Are those bars open later on Sat? Does the excursion run that late in Jan?

kimrye

I would just email them and ask - or just go ahead and book it, they will let you know right away. They are really good at getting back to you..

this sounds wonderful for several single ladies. But ... we are arriving 1:30 Jan 30th. Carnival Victory. Are those bars open later on Sat? Does the excursion run that late in Jan?

kimrye

We were on the Victory with that same arrival time last year and they were able to accommodate us. There were others visiting the island and a few from our ship so the later hop worked out for us. Since yours is in January, I would email since it gets dark earlier but Tom will answer any questions you have.

I am not a big drinker, but would love to see the different beach clubs and sample different foods. Since you have to purchase your drinks anyway, would this be a wasted excursion for someone like myself? I could understand if it were All inclusive it might not be worth it.

I am not a big drinker, but would love to see the different beach clubs and sample different foods. Since you have to purchase your drinks anyway, would this be a wasted excursion for someone like myself? I could understand if it were All inclusive it might not be worth it.

I don't think it would be a waste at all. It is a well organized excursion that gives you the opportunity to visit the "other side' of the island, away from the more popular beach clubs to the south of San Miguel.

Surf and currents are stronger on this side so swimming is not recommended but the first beach club does have a series of small swimming pools. Extra drinks are completely your own choice. There is no pressure to participate in drinking games. It is completely your own choice what you do at each stop - you can either stay with the group and socialize, or go solo and explore the location. Food is also optional although you are advised to order as soon as you arrive since the time schedule is closely monitored to get everyone back to their respective ships on time. Each stop is about 40-50 minutes.

Edited by c-leg5

Not at all. In fact, while my husband and I were lounging with our feet up, a gorgeous plate of ceviche in front of us and a margarita in hand, he said to me "I'd even recommend this tour to people who don't drink!"

It really was a fun day and the food was awesome, the people were great and the views and locations were very authentic!!

Thanks for all the great reviews and comments. We booked for the 3 of us for our January 3rd cruise. Really excited

Which day are you going for your cruise- we are in port that day on Friday & plan on doing this!

• 4 weeks later...

kimrye

Did the Hop last week, and our guide (Colleen) told us that the bars on the east side of the island are on government land and nobody is allowed to be there after dark. So it really depends on when sunset is that day.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Cozumel on January 19th. We are going to once again reserve our spots for the Cozumel bar hop... this is our 8th time we will be hopping. So much fun to see the other side of the island. It is so enjoyable to leave the driving to someone else after you have been having an adult beverage or two! The hosts are great and the owners know their stuff! If you are coming on a cruise - don't worry - you will not miss your ship! :)