Hampton Inn Downtown- Safe area for a solo female to be at?

rene194215

I am going to fly into FLL and was planning on taking a shuttle to the hotel. Is the area around the Hampton Inn safe? I see its not very far from Bayside if I am not mistaken and near a rail station? I am just concerned being by myself and being in the area myself. Not sure if I should just stay somewhere else?

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Ohh this is Miami I forgot to put that in the title :(

Edited by rene194215

I am going to fly into FLL and was planning on taking a shuttle to the hotel. Is the area around the Hampton Inn safe? I see its not very far from Bayside if I am not mistaken and near a rail station? I am just concerned being by myself and being in the area myself. Not sure if I should just stay somewhere else?

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Ohh this is Miami I forgot to put that in the title :(

cjskids lives downtown and can give you specific advice but yes, during the day downtown is fine. Just don't venture out on dark side roads after dark by yourself. Also, stay of the people move and metrorail at night.

I personally would try to be back in my hotel by dark. But that would be in all unfamiliar big cities if alone. Agree stay away from the people mover, especially after dark. It has some seedy "regulars".

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at Hampton Inn last year and took the public transportation to the hotel and it was fine. Very nice area and breakfast was superb that they offered. We did have to take a taxi to the pier. This is my favorite place to stay before the cruise. You can get to Bayside on the metro and it is free. Lots of places to eat

We stayed at Hampton Inn last year and took the public transportation to the hotel and it was fine. Very nice area and breakfast was superb that they offered. We did have to take a taxi to the pier. This is my favorite place to stay before the cruise. You can get to Bayside on the metro and it is free. Lots of places to eat

Can I ask which airport you came from? I am flying into FLL and found a shuttle company that would take me direct to the hotel but if there is something cheaper I am all for it! When I called they said that they do have a shuttle for $8.00 that would take you to the pier. I love bayside so I am glad its so close!

Thanks again!!!

cjskids lives downtown and can give you specific advice but yes, during the day downtown is fine. Just don't venture out on dark side roads after dark by yourself. Also, stay of the people move and metrorail at night.

The area is completely safe during the day and also just fine at night. Just make a right when you leave the hotel and stay on South Miami ave. The hotel is in my backyard and I am out and about all the time by myself both during the day and night without my husband. I have many single girlfriends who live in the area and are out and about. There are always many people walking around at all hours.

BlueHerons is correct, just don't go on some of the side roads at night. If you make a left and go up that way, it will be much quieter at night. There isn't much up there anyway.

Mary Brickell Village and the surrounding areas will be just fine to be out at night. There is also a sandwich shop, a chinese restaurant and Batch Gastro Pub right at the bottom of your hotel.

I'm on the people mover all the time by myself and don't go on alone at night. The metro rail can always have sketchy people on it at all times of day. It's not my favorite way of traveling and I tend to only go on when I'm with people.

You can get to Bayside easily by the Metro Mover and you can even walk, it's not that far and I do it all the time. But honestly, I wouldn't bother. There will be plenty of restaurants around this area that are much better.

It's a great hotel and a great area. You will enjoy it! As a woman traveling alone, this area will be much better for you than anything over by Bayside.

Edited by cjskids

The area is completely safe during the day and also just fine at night. Just make a right when you leave the hotel and stay on South Miami ave. The hotel is in my backyard and I am out and about all the time by myself both during the day and night without my husband. I have many single girlfriends who live in the area and are out and about. There are always many people walking around at all hours.

BlueHerons is correct, just don't go on some of the side roads at night. If you make a left and go up that way, it will be much quieter at night. There isn't much up there anyway.

Mary Brickell Village and the surrounding areas will be just fine to be out at night. There is also a sandwich shop, a chinese restaurant and Batch Gastro Pub right at the bottom of your hotel.

I'm on the people mover all the time by myself and don't go on alone at night. The metro rail can always have sketchy people on it at all times of day. It's not my favorite way of traveling and I tend to only go on when I'm with people.

You can get to Bayside easily by the Metro Mover and you can even walk, it's not that far and I do it all the time. But honestly, I wouldn't bother. There will be plenty of restaurants around this area that are much better.

It's a great hotel and a great area. You will enjoy it! As a woman traveling alone, this area will be much better for you than anything over by Bayside.

Thanks for all the information! I thought to go down to Bayside to see if a restaurant is still there from 2008. They had an amazing chimichuri sauce and I would love to have it again. I am prob ganna be at the hotel around 2 so I would have a light lunch and maybe go to bayside. Then come back to the hotel and go to the pool for a little and maybe go to dinner. Not sure yet.... I guess I will do things as they come up!!

Thank you this puts me at ease...

Thanks for all the information! I thought to go down to Bayside to see if a restaurant is still there from 2008. They had an amazing chimichuri sauce and I would love to have it again. I am prob ganna be at the hotel around 2 so I would have a light lunch and maybe go to bayside. Then come back to the hotel and go to the pool for a little and maybe go to dinner. Not sure yet.... I guess I will do things as they come up!!

Thank you this puts me at ease...

The restaurant River Oyster has the most amazing chimichuri sauce that they serve on their skirt steak so I understand loving that.

Enjoy the area. If you need any restaurant suggestions, fire away!

There will be a Publix grocery store in Mary Brickell Village and a new CVS opened up right on Brickell Ave which is open 24 hours in case you need anything.

The restaurant River Oyster has the most amazing chimichuri sauce that they serve on their skirt steak so I understand loving that.

Enjoy the area. If you need any restaurant suggestions, fire away!

There will be a Publix grocery store in Mary Brickell Village and a new CVS opened up right on Brickell Ave which is open 24 hours in case you need anything.

Thanks! I might take you up on that restaurant suggestion! I looked up the River Oyster but it does not look familiar. From what I remember of the restaurant there was a nice outside area and very laid back food. I think the dipping sauce we had for bread or something was the chimichuri or something like that. I remember it was like right at the edge of the bayside market and you could see the arena right there. Hummmm.. I wish I took pictures!!

So what type of breakfast is it? People rave about it so I assume it is much more than the continental breakfast, toaster and waffle maker?

We signed up for the stay and cruise program which includes seven nights parking. This is Travel Adviser's #1 hotel for the Miami area.

Also, if anyone knows, can you book a return shuttle trip or will I need to take a taxi? The last taxi rates I saw were in the 10-12 dollar range, is that still accurate?

Thanks in advance, Vic

Hi,...is the OP talking about The Hampton on Brickell? I stayed here

back in November and felt fine (I always sail solo)......I walked outside

and went to a restaurant right along Brickell Ave.

The breakfast at this hotel? Way more than a Continental.....it is a large

buffet......eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, bagels, breads, fruits, waffles,

cereals, just to name a few things.

Hi,...is the OP talking about The Hampton on Brickell? I stayed here

back in November and felt fine (I always sail solo)......I walked outside

and went to a restaurant right along Brickell Ave.

The breakfast at this hotel? Way more than a Continental.....it is a large

buffet......eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, bagels, breads, fruits, waffles,

cereals, just to name a few things.

Yes the hotel is the Brickell one. Seems like a nice place!!

Yes the hotel is the Brickell one. Seems like a nice place!!

As I mentioned, I stayed here last year.....it was fine:)

Thanks! I might take you up on that restaurant suggestion! I looked up the River Oyster but it does not look familiar. From what I remember of the restaurant there was a nice outside area and very laid back food. I think the dipping sauce we had for bread or something was the chimichuri or something like that. I remember it was like right at the edge of the bayside market and you could see the arena right there. Hummmm.. I wish I took pictures!!

The River Oyster is a locally chef owned restaurant here in Brickell, it's not the one at Bayside. They just happen to have the same sauce and it's an amazing portion. Just got back home about half an hour ago from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cjskids-

I had a question, you talked about the forms of transportation around the city. I am trying to save some money from FLL to the hotel and I found out about the tri-rail. Is this really safe from FLL to MIA? I know I would have to transfer to the Metro mover if not mistaken and this would take me to a block from the hotel? I am not sure if I have this all right but if you can advise?

Thanks!!

Hi cjskids-

I had a question, you talked about the forms of transportation around the city. I am trying to save some money from FLL to the hotel and I found out about the tri-rail. Is this really safe from FLL to MIA? I know I would have to transfer to the Metro mover if not mistaken and this would take me to a block from the hotel? I am not sure if I have this all right but if you can advise?

Thanks!!

I can't tell you about the tri-rail from FLL as I haven't done this. I drive my car up to FLL if I leave from there. I have heard it's not bad but as a woman alone, you may want to think about a shuttle service.

Other on here have done it so I'm sure someone will weigh in with an answer.

Hi cjskids-

Thanks!!

Find other ways to save money. I do this about once a month and I would not recommend it to visitors being a single woman. Especially not at night.

You will have to take a bus to the Tri Rail station from FLL, get on the train, then get off at the Tri Rail Transfer Station to the MetroRail. It's a lot of getting on and off while carrying your luggage but in a pinch, it's the cheapest way. Perfectly safe during the day, would not recommend public transportation at night anywhere in south Florida.

• 2 weeks later...

I am torn. I want to try it but I really do not want something happening. I just hate the fact that the shuttle is so much and that its going to take like 2 hours to get to the hotel... valuable time for me in my opinion. Oh well I still have time to research and decide,,

Is the Hampton Inn Las Olas the one you are speaking of? Is the water taxi close to this one?

Not sure who you are asking but the Hampton Inn that has been

the main topic of this thread is the one down in Miami.