Golf in Honolulu

envy4u

We have been to Honolulu many times. We are thinking of doing a golf day. Any suggestions on a nice course not too far from the port area? Arriving on Crown Princess October 26, 2016.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would go to the Ala Wai Golf Course.

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/des/golf/alawai.htm

We have been to Honolulu many times. We are thinking of doing a golf day. Any suggestions on a nice course not too far from the port area? Arriving on Crown Princess October 26, 2016.

Have you given thought to some world-class golf at Kapalua while you are visiting Maui? Kapalua is only about a 20-minute drive from where you tender in at Lahaina.

Conversely, I would not. It is known as an extremely busy course, so plan on 5+ hours in the sun. There are better courses around.

Uh..... then why not name a few better ones for the OP so they can research them?

The Ala Wai is the closest course the OP can play unless they have a recip deal at the OCC or are retired military.

Have you given thought to some world-class golf at Kapalua while you are visiting Maui? Kapalua is only about a 20-minute drive from where you tender in at Lahaina.

Thanks for the suggestion but have a tour in Maui.

Edited by envy4u

Uh..... then why not name a few better ones for the OP so they can research them?

The Ala Wai is the closest course the OP can play unless they have a recip deal at the OCC or are retired military.

Don't know what a recip deal is and we are not retired military.

Sorry I dared to disagree with you...

There are several courses west of Pearl Harbor. Yes, Ala Wai is the closest, if that is your criteria.

Don't know what a recip deal is and we are not retired military.

A "recip" means a reciprocal agreement between two private courses. So, your home private course (assuming you have one)agrees to sponsor you onto the private course you choose in Hawaii. Obviously only works if you belong to a course at home.

A "recip" means a reciprocal agreement between two private courses. So, your home private course (assuming you have one)agrees to sponsor you onto the private course you choose in Hawaii. Obviously only works if you belong to a course at home.

No don't belong to a course [emoji23]

I would go to the Ala Wai Golf Course.

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/des/golf/alawai.htm

Can't find cost for 18 holes with golf cart and rental clubs. Any help would be appreciated. We arrive on the Crown Princess on Oct. 26, 2016 from 7am to 9 pm. I am Canadian so can't call course.

Edited by envy4u

Can't find cost for 18 holes with golf cart and rental clubs. Any help would be appreciated. We arrive on the Crown Princess on Oct. 26, 2016 from 7am to 9 pm. I am Canadian so can't call course.

If you search "Ala Wai Golf Course - City and County of Honolulu" you will find a list of fees. It is dated 2013, so the fees have probably gone up, but you can get a general idea...

Sorry I dared to disagree with you...

There are several courses west of Pearl Harbor. Yes, Ala Wai is the closest, if that is your criteria.

I don't give a rip if someone disagrees, but if you are going to shoot down their suggestions why wouldn't you provide alternatives?

Saying the Ala Wai isn't good.... go some place else doesn't help the OP who is asking for names of places to play.

This is the current rate sheet from the City & County of Honolulu Website.

https://www.honolulu.gov/des/golf/fees.html

You can call, Hawaii and Canada use the same dialing scheme. If it is cost, get Skype.

I don't give a rip if someone disagrees, but if you are going to shoot down their suggestions why wouldn't you provide alternatives?

Saying the Ala Wai isn't good.... go some place else doesn't help the OP who is asking for names of places to play.

This is the current rate sheet from the City & County of Honolulu Website.

https://www.honolulu.gov/des/golf/fees.html

You can call, Hawaii and Canada use the same dialing scheme. If it is cost, get Skype.

Thanks for all your help. Not sure where we dock but looking for a nice golf course 60 minutes or less driving time from port area. I use golfnow and teeoff.com too

We are arriving on the Crown Princess Oct 26, 2016.

Edited by envy4u

Well, now that you said you'd be willing to drive 60 minutes to a course...

http://www.koolinagolf.com

I haven't played there (only played on BI, Maui, Lanai), but it's supposedly an excellent course. Someplace that holds an LPGA tournament can't be shabby. Ko Olina is up at the Aulani complex, about a 40 minute drive from port. Rent a car and you're good. They also rent TaylorMade (if that makes a difference to you). The website has all their rates.

Thanks for all your help. Not sure where we dock but looking for a nice golf course 60 minutes or less driving time from port area. I use golfnow and teeoff.com too

We are arriving on the Crown Princess Oct 26, 2016.

If you don't mind driving an hour, the Pali Course (same link as the Ala Wai link) would be my first pick with reasonable rates.

It is a beautiful course and setting and you get to use the Pali Highway to get there.

Ko Olina is a great course, but $210 for standard fees.

Have golfed MANY times in Hawaii, while on a cruise ship vacation. I would HIGHLY recommend Ko Olina or Ko Olau golf courses. If you look at http://www.higolfguide.com/ they offer transportation to these courses. We have used them and they make your tee time, pick you up at Aloha Tower, drive you to the course, and pick you up. It is flawless!

Are you on the 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise? We were on that cruise last year and it was FABULOUS!!! Going again in 2017

Good luck...and enjoy your round!

Edited by eyegirl

Have golfed MANY times in Hawaii, while on a cruise ship vacation. I would HIGHLY recommend Ko Olina or Ko Olau golf courses. If you look at http://www.higolfguide.com/ they offer transportation to these courses. We have used them and they make your tee time, pick you up at Aloha Tower, drive you to the course, and pick you up. It is flawless!

Are you on the 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise? We were on that cruise last year and it was FABULOUS!!! Going again in 2017

Good luck...and enjoy your round!

Thanks for all the info folks. Yes, we are on the Crown Princess 28 day cruise round trip from L.A. Can't wait!

Wow tough to get an answer so here is my 2 cents and I play almost weekly here on Oahu. I pay the local rate at all of these so I do not know what you will pay.

Koolina is definitely worth it followed with lunch at Roys.

Pearl Country club good fun, built on a gentle slope has a good variety of holes.

Waikele is almost always in good shape and usually busy.

Coral Creek, the Prince courses and Kapolei golf courses are nearby with Prince having 3 sets of 9 holes, they also have the best driving range on real grass, not a carpet.

For the muni's two that I do not play are Ala Wai no variety in holes and the busiest course on island. I also do not play Pali unless it gets really dry, the fairways have a sliver of grass with a ton of mud underneath.

West Loch is a good muni.

All the way on the north shore is the Palmer course at Turtle bay but there has been construction on the road up there so we have avoided it.

Way out west in Makaha valley, course is in good shape but cart paths are beat up.

If you want to get beat up, aka play a tough course both Koolau, and what used to be called luana hills are target courses.

Have fun, I love it here!