The Bus in Honolulu

Sand&Sea

We're considering taking "the bus" from the airport to our hotel and then from the hotel to the cruise terminal. The fare is only $2 and it doesn't even require a bus change. However, when I read the bus website, it says only small luggage is allowed. Will the driver turn you away if you have larger luggage or do they not really enforce it? I know in my area, there is a similar rule, but no one cares and you definitely wouldn't get turned away.

Thanks!

It will probably depend on how crowded the bus is - do you really want to chance it?

We used the bus to get around quite a bit last month and it got pretty full most of the time.

Roberts Hawaii provises a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotels and from the hotels to

the cruise terminal for a pretty reasonable cost and they take baggage.

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/ground-transportation/airport-waikiki-express

Edited by c-to-sea

The bus wont allow luggage. If they did, everyone would take the bus from the airport and vice versa. What a mess that would be.

They do allow small-medium sized luggage (Medium-sized suitcase, duffle bag, or small metal bag caddy on wheels 1 per person 24" x 18" x 12"). In San Francisco, the public transportation systems have a similar policy, but always allow luggage, even on crowded buses. No one minds since it helps everyone when more people use public transportation!

Edited by Sand&Sea

We're considering taking "the bus" from the airport to our hotel and then from the hotel to the cruise terminal. The fare is only $2 and it doesn't even require a bus change. However, when I read the bus website, it says only small luggage is allowed. Will the driver turn you away if you have larger luggage or do they not really enforce it? I know in my area, there is a similar rule, but no one cares and you definitely wouldn't get turned away.

Thanks!

This is more hassle than it is worth. You are on vacation and the Bus is not the place for luggage. Take one of the inexpensive shuttle services. The Bus is a great way to get around and sight see but don't take luggage on the Bus.

Having taken The Bus around Honolulu and Waikiki, I can tell you that there is really no room for luggage. The Bus is a very popular mode of transportation and you're unlikely to find one that is not full. Yes, the driver will turn you away if you have full size (large) luggage. Plus, it takes much longer to get to your destination; you would have to fight for space and jockey all your stuff on and off the bus--all while others are trying to get on and off the bus and the driver is trying to keep a schedule. It's just not practical or reasonable in Honolulu/Waikiki to use the bus in that way.

There are inexpensive shuttles. A taxi would be more, but would get you to your hotel with no delays.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

They do allow small-medium sized luggage (Medium-sized suitcase, duffle bag, or small metal bag caddy on wheels 1 per person 24" x 18" x 12"). In San Francisco, the public transportation systems have a similar policy, but always allow luggage, even on crowded buses. No one minds since it helps everyone when more people use public transportation!

When we lived in Hawaii we asked the bus driver (as we had the same idea) and he said No midsize or large suitcases. Of course they allow shopping bags, backpacks, etc but we were told no suitcases or luggage were allowed. I agree with Beachchick. You can always try perhaps you will get a lenient bus driver. Have a great trip.

Edited by Umbarger

There is a sign on the bus when you board that NO luggage is allowed. It will probably be up to the driver to decide whether your luggage fits in the small-medium-large categories. For $3 more per person you can be on a shuttle, and for $7 more per person you can have a taxi to get you around and not spend precious vacation time sitting in the shuttle or schlepping luggage on and off a bus. Just my opinion, but when I land in Honolulu I just want to feel the sand between my toes!!! Cherie

The Bus system is a main mode of transportation for commuters, day visitors, etc. It's not at all that they discourage public transportion to and from the airport, but they would need to have a fleet of buses designated solely for that purpose to take care of the thousands of visitors coming in and out each day. It's not reasonable (IMO) to expect all the residents who use the bus to get around each day to leave enough room onboard for visitors and all their luggage. That's what the shuttles are for. In fact, Robert's is basically considered "public" transportation for airport-to-hotel travel.

beachchick

• 6 years later...
The Bus system is a main mode of transportation for commuters, day visitors, etc. It's not at all that they discourage public transportion to and from the airport, but they would need to have a fleet of buses designated solely for that purpose to take care of the thousands of visitors coming in and out each day. It's not reasonable (IMO) to expect all the residents who use the bus to get around each day to leave enough room onboard for visitors and all their luggage. That's what the shuttles are for. In fact, Robert's is basically considered "public" transportation for airport-to-hotel travel.

beachchick

This is a shuttle question of a different sort. Are there shuttles at the ports that go to the beaches for free or for a nominal amount. We will be in Hawaii and want to use the beaches in Kailua-Kona and Maui.

This is a shuttle question of a different sort. Are there shuttles at the ports that go to the beaches for free or for a nominal amount. We will be in Hawaii and want to use the beaches in Kailua-Kona and Maui.

I have never seen any free shuttles in Hawaii except to stores such as Wal-Mart. Hilo Hattie's has downsized to only a couple of locations (Lahaina Maui, Lihue Kauai & the Ala Moana SC located near Waikiki) but their website no longer shows a free shuttle.

I don't know where you arrive in Maui but from Kahului there isn't a good beach near the port. Lahaina is a tender port into the small old historical whaling town of Lahaina (it was also briefly the capital during the Hawaiian monarchy) and there are some small beaches south of the small boat harbor. There's an hourly shuttle bus ($2 one-way) that goes to Ka'anapali Beach which is much nicer. One issue is with a ship dropping off thousands of passengers there could be a wait to use it. Instead for less than $20 o/w you could take a taxi there.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I haven't seen any shuttles that go to beaches. There are shuttles to Kmart and Walmart. If you want to get to beaches you will either have to use a taxi or rent a car. Taxi will be too expensive in my opinion. Renting a car is very easy and cheap.

In Kona, there is a little beach right at the tender port. No taxi or shuttle required.

Here's a link to the Honu Express shuttle that runs up and down Ali'i Drive in Kailua-Kona. You might find it useful. Note that is is $2.00 per person, per ride. Looks like it goes to some beaches. I would do a google search on the names of the places to make sure it's what you're looking for.

Honu Express shuttle: http://www.konaweb.com/forums/shuttle.shtml

Here's a link to the Honu Express shuttle that runs up and down Ali'i Drive in Kailua-Kona. You might find it useful. Note that is is $2.00 per person, per ride. Looks like it goes to some beaches. I would do a google search on the names of the places to make sure it's what you're looking for.

Honu Express shuttle: http://www.konaweb.com/forums/shuttle.shtml

Mahalo for the shuttle info...I recalled reading there was a Kona shuttle but couldn't find it & will bookmark it for future reference. :)

Thank you for your response. We are docking in Kahului. I have decided to rent a car. It is too expensive to go by taxi to the nice beaches and if there is a bus, the lines will be long. It just makes sense to rent a car, even with the hassle of shuttling back and forth to the rental place.

Thank you for your response. We are docking in Kahului. I have decided to rent a car. It is too expensive to go by taxi to the nice beaches and if there is a bus, the lines will be long. It just makes sense to rent a car, even with the hassle of shuttling back and forth to the rental place.
You wont regret having a car. It gives you so much freedom and flexibility!

There's a website that checks most rental car agencies that has been recommended on this forum for having good prices. The comments I've read have been positive as have those on Trip Advisor.

Here's the website if you want to use it as one source for a rental car:

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

• 5 months later...

I understand that the fare for adults is now $2.50, Seniors with Medicare card are $1.

Will the driver accept paper bills or do we need a all coin?

Is exact fare required or could we get change, say paying $3.50 for the two of us with a $5 bill? If not we'll need 6 one dollar bills for round trip, plus 4 quarters. Just want to make sure we have what we need!

We want to go to Hanauma Bay and we know we'd never get there before the parking lot closes if we rent a car, so we are planning on taking The Bus. Any advice welcome. Thanks, m--

I don't recall any change making ability. We commonly just say "here is a $5 (bill) for two", or whatever amount is appropriate. I would plan on exact change...a little bit of prep in advance. You don't need $3.50 in coin, their machine takes paper money.

Edited by CruiserBruce

• 1 year later...

What about allowing a motorized scooter? I read they allow you to ride right up onto the bus. I am not confined but need it to visit Pearl Harbor and will be bringing it if I decide to take the Bus from Pier to Pearl harbor. Can't decide to take the bus vs a tour. I can't do 2 cruise lines exc. tours due to times not working out so doing Pearl harbor on my own, coming back to ship, to get ready for cruise lines exc to Luai. Any information appreciated!

What about allowing a motorized scooter? I read they allow you to ride right up onto the bus. I am not confined but need it to visit Pearl Harbor and will be bringing it if I decide to take the Bus from Pier to Pearl harbor. Can't decide to take the bus vs a tour. I can't do 2 cruise lines exc. tours due to times not working out so doing Pearl harbor on my own, coming back to ship, to get ready for cruise lines exc to Luai. Any information appreciated!

The bus is very accessible. You can ride your scooter right up onto the bus. You do need to turn the scooter around on the bus as they require to strap you down.