TLCOhio Please help... Scandinavia & Norway

Hi Terry as I have been spending hours going over C/C info in the past few years I have always relied on your posts and photos for inspiration.

I have decided to get greedy and ask you directly for info for my particular cruise.

May 10-17 Copenhagen, Tallin , St Petersburg (one day) Helsinki, Stolkholm.

17-24 Copenhagen, Flam, Geiranger, Alesund,Bergen and back to Copenhagen.

My husband is an avid photographer (I have sold him on many cruises using your pics) so I know you will have great ideas for us.

I have my name down for a St Petersburg private tour. If it does not work out what should I look for in a RCL shore excursion?

We would like to DIY as much as possible. However if there is a must see that I have to do a shore excursion I would do so.

If anyone else has info to add it would be most appreciated.

Thanks again for any and all help. Karen(from Canada)

Hi Terry as I have been spending hours going over C/C info in the past few years I have always relied on your posts and photos for inspiration.

I have decided to get greedy and ask you directly for info for my particular cruise.

May 10-17 Copenhagen, Tallin , St Petersburg (one day) Helsinki, Stolkholm.

17-24 Copenhagen, Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Bergen and back to Copenhagen.

My husband is an avid photographer (I have sold him on many cruises using your pics) so I know you will have great ideas for us.

I have my name down for a St Petersburg private tour. If it does not work out what should I look for in a RCL shore excursion?

We would like to DIY as much as possible. However if there is a must see that I have to do a shore excursion I would do so.

If anyone else has info to add it would be most appreciated.

Thanks again for any and all help. Karen(from Canada)

Hi, Karen!! Appreciate your kind "shout-out" and comments. Happy to provide any help. Glad you husband likes photography. Are you doing these two cruises back-to-back in and out of Copenhagen?

Not sure on your exact questions and info needs. Assume a key question is about how much can be done by DIY. What's my honest response? Much can be DIY, BUT, there are trade-offs and downsides to consider in maybe not being as time-efficient in being able to see and do more, make things easier. Having a private tour for St. Petersburg is a must do. Why waste time and effort with 35-45 people on a big bus with other cruise passengers. Make it your, more custom tour in that great city.

Here are some other reactions, questions, concerns:

1. Are you locked into this mid May timing? Weather will not be as good during this period compared to later June and July.

2. Having only one day in St. Petersburg is very limiting. Personally, I would want and urge doing a cruise that gives you two or three days there. St. Petersburg is your "super star" for this area. Why only have one there?

3. Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Bergen, plus your Baltics stops and Copenhagen are all super wonderful. No bad ports or "dogs" in this field. BUT, especially for Norway, getting "up country" would be important to better experience these many wonderful sites, the great views, variety of natural settings, etc. Don't get too locked into DIY that you miss what makes Norway great.

Finally, tell us more on what you really seek and want!!! How much are you interested in history? Countrysides vs. cities? Museums, food, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Other questions, reactions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 119,255 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I would just like to add my 2 cents... I also would definitely choose a cruise that has at least 2 days in St Petersburg. There is so much to see. Only being there 1 day would be a disadvantage, IMO.

Have fun planning your cruise.

Thanks Terry for responding.

For vacation day reasons and also to celebrate our Anniversary and Birthdays this cruise works best. If I choose one that has 2 days in St Petersburg then I would have to give up Norway and I do not want to do this. It is a back 2 back out of Copenhagen.

What I am looking for is what is best DIY and where should we (or have to) spend the money on tours. I would like a mix of activities like hiking , historic buildings . We enjoy some off the beaten path exploring also. As far as fast pace etc. I would like a mix, DH and I can move quickly when needed but also enjoy a day of people watching. So what I am after I guess is to know which are best places for touring, DIY and just taking a day and immersing in the culture. From what I have gather so far Alesund could be a leisurely DIY day walking or taking the train to Aksla, correct. A cruise like this a trip of a lifetime for me and I want to make sure that I use our time and money to the best I can.

We are not novices to traveling and have used these boards before to gather up info to have terrific holidays. Just this past May we did a Med. cruise and used many of the hints you have provided. However, I am seeing bits and pieces of your excellent advice on so many threads I thought I would just come out and ask for help on my itinerary.

Thanks again for your time. I look forward to hearing back, Karen

PS I know its a tall order but I have faith in you!

TLCOhio/Terry,

I hope that you do not mind me jumping on this thread.

Did you spend a night in Copenhagen? If yes which hotel? Did you like it? Where would you stay if you go back again?

Thank you

OP here. I will have pre and post cruise stays in Copenhagen. What area do you suggest?

I would just like to add my 2 cents... I also would definitely choose a cruise that has at least 2 days in St Petersburg. There is so much to see. Only being there 1 day would be a disadvantage, IMO.

Have fun planning your cruise.

I have only one day but I am sure you saw many wonderful things and enjoyed your two days there. Can you share with me what was the best of your visit? Then I could look for something that would have the best in it. I have my name on a wait list for a c/c private tour but in case it does not work out I might need a back up.

I have only one day but I am sure you saw many wonderful things and enjoyed your two days there. Can you share with me what was the best of your visit? Then I could look for something that would have the best in it. I have my name on a wait list for a c/c private tour but in case it does not work out I might need a back up.

Oh gosh. This is purely a personal preference, but I really enjoyed Peterof, Catherine's Palace, and the Hermitage most of all. Close second would be Church on the Spilled Blood, and maybe St Issac's (just because it is so massive).

Peterof and Catherine's are both outside the central St Petersburg area, so it takes time to get to them. Hermitage, Spilled Blood and St Issac's are all in town.

I also enjoyed the canal boat ride in town, but you probably wouldn't have time for that. You'll see the canals as you are transiting between the venues in town anyway.

It is good you are working on a private tour. That would be the way to get in as many venues in as possible. I would recommend not stopping for lunch at a restaurant, you'd be wasting valuable time. Hopefully your private tour option is considering a packed lunch.

Since you are on this forum, you are no doubt aware of all the major players for tour operators. We used SPB, and actually did the private tour option. The other tour operators get great reviews as well, so you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

I spent a month in St Pete many years ago and had excursions or museums every single day. One day is absolutely nothing. You gotta spend at least one day in the city (city tour with short stops in Isaac Church and other places), plus some time in Hermitage and one day in one of outside Tsar's residences.

1. Are you locked into this mid May timing? Weather will not be as good during this period compared to later June and July.

I don't agree with this.

Weather in May can be just as good as sin June.

Nights are generally cooler then June-August though

Like the weather for the rest of the year, it will vary from year to year and

some years the weather will be fantastic other years the weather will be as fantastic.

May is also springtime, people's mood* is usually also allot better then other times of the year due to that the winter is finally over,

the spring is here, the trees have just gotten their leaves its green everywhere and the summer is just around the corner. You know its a special feeling in the air.

Since you are a Canadian I assume that you know what I mean?

* we usually call it "Vårkänslor".

TLCOhio/Terry, I hope that you do not mind me jumping on this thread. Did you spend a night in Copenhagen? If yes which hotel? Did you like it? Where would you stay if you go back again? Thank you

Yes, we stayed overnight in charming Copenhagen and it was wonderful. Night with the lights in Tivoli was a super joy. Got up early the next morning, experienced seeing lots of people riding their bikes to work, etc., etc.

Below is info on where we stayed. Location is important. Be central and handy, PLUS, if possible get a flavor for the Danish character and/or style. We can stay at a Marriott and/or chain name any time in America. Why repeat those previous, typical experiences. Try something a little different in Europe, in my view.

Really like The Square!! Yes, would do them again, if the pricing was reasonable. But, Denmark and this part of Europe is not cheap. Super location. Very clean and nice.

Added questions, reactions??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 119,255 views.

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Thanks Terry for responding.

For vacation day reasons and also to celebrate our Anniversary and Birthdays this cruise works best. If I choose one that has 2 days in St Petersburg then I would have to give up Norway and I do not want to do this. It is a back 2 back out of Copenhagen.

What I am looking for is what is best DIY and where should we (or have to) spend the money on tours. I would like a mix of activities like hiking , historic buildings . We enjoy some off the beaten path exploring also. As far as fast pace etc. I would like a mix, DH and I can move quickly when needed but also enjoy a day of people watching. So what I am after I guess is to know which are best places for touring, DIY and just taking a day and immersing in the culture. From what I have gather so far Alesund could be a leisurely DIY day walking or taking the train to Aksla, correct. A cruise like this a trip of a lifetime for me and I want to make sure that I use our time and money to the best I can.

We are not novices to traveling and have used these boards before to gather up info to have terrific holidays. Just this past May we did a Med. cruise and used many of the hints you have provided. However, I am seeing bits and pieces of your excellent advice on so many threads I thought I would just come out and ask for help on my itinerary.

Thanks again for your time. I look forward to hearing back, Karen

PS I know its a tall order but I have faith in you!

I came across some of your Copenhagen pics last night, so beautiful. We are staying one night pre and one night post cruise. I have booked Hotel Alexandra and hotel Ibsen,what do you think about those locations. I can not wait to show my husband those pics.

I hope I was able to give you a description of what I am looking for out of these cruises. However we are wide open to any ideas to make the most out of this cruise (just not a lot of inside big museums).

Also Terry what lens length do you use most for your photography while traveling?

Thanks again, Karen

I came across some of your Copenhagen pics last night, so beautiful. We are staying one night pre and one night post cruise. I have booked Hotel Alexandra and hotel Ibsen, what do you think about those locations. I can not wait to show my husband those pics. I hope I was able to give you a description of what I am looking for out of these cruises. However we are wide open to any ideas to make the most out of this cruise (just not a lot of inside big museums). Also Terry what lens length do you use most for your photography while traveling? Thanks again, Karen

happy_travellers: Terry I was writing while you posted pics. So funny! I must have wrote my note as you just posted yours. I saw those pics last night and they are so beautiful' date=' thanks for posting again. [b']Must sees for Copenhagen?[/b] We will have the best parts of 4 days, any day trip you recommend? Thanks again,Karen

Appreciate, Karen, your follow-ups, nice comments, etc. Don't know on those two hotels and sorry but don't time right now to track/check those locations. You can use the Bird's Eye feature with Bing.com to look at their maps, what's nearby, etc.

Glad you have so much time in Copenhagen. It is one of our most super favorite cities in the world. We have done lots in Europe on many trips there. Been to 22 different countries in Europe. Getting ready in January to do Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii. This will be our first for visiting all of those places.

The picture postings have been great fun in sharing. As others have mentioned, the visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. I like the Eyewitness and Insight travel books because of their great variety of good visuals. The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" incorporates the idea that a complex messages can be conveyed with just a single or a few still images. That saying summarizes that through visualization, it is possible to communicate large amounts of "data" or words quickly.

YES, getting good cruise pictures helps keep those great memories alive and well for the future, etc.

Appreciate your nice comments on my pictures! And your lens question. I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing. My pictures in the Greek Isles, Baltics and Norway, taken in 2006-2010, were done with a Nikon D50 or single lens reflex (SLR) camera. I have upgraded to a Nikon D3100 that shoots at a higher pixel level and has a few other improvements. That D3100 camera with the basic Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens would run under $500 in the USA today. Recently, Nikon came out with a D3200 with some adding improvements, 24mp for this "consumer-level" of SLR. A good camera, but not at the top-pro, high-cost levels. But, just like with an artist or cook, it is not always the quality of the paint brush or pots and pans. It's the skill, focus and interest of the user.

Lenses are also important. Mostly I shoot with the Nikon 18-55mm mid-range zoom lens that came with this camera. Now have also a Nikon 55-300mm VR lenses for longer shots and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for church and building interiors, etc. This Nikon D3100 camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our two grandsons born within 21 and a half months of each other. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I do that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto software tools. Fairly quick and easy!!

See more details and ideas were previously posted at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Also, check out:

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

Below are some options to consider for CPH. More to come.

Copenhagen's City Hall and its large Square are in the heart of the main downtown, near Tivoli and the central train station. Completed in 1905, it was designed in the "National Romantic" style with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. Dominated by its richly-ornamented front wth the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony, its tall, slim clock tower is 345.6 feet or 105.6 meters tall. It is one of the tallest buildings in Denmark.:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen. Amalienborg Slot includes four rococo-styled residences of Denmark’s royal family. This site includes a museum surrounding an octagonal cobblestone courtyard. You can witness the Royal guards walk from Rosenborg Castle to Amalienborg Palace for the Changing of the Guard daily at noon. Adult fee for museum about $13. For more info, see: ses.dk/amalienborg.:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Lots of great statues and interesting architecture in Copenhagen to enjoy as you walk around in this historic city.:

1-CPH-StatueonWalk.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia. Rosenborg is also a garrison for the Danish Royal Guard. They depart for duty at Amalienborg Palace’s Changing of the Guards at around 11:15 or 11:30 am and it ends at Amalienborg a little bit before noon.:

OldPalace.jpg

Copenhagen's new Opera House across the canal from a charming fountain and near the current Royal Palace. This structure opened in 2005, costing $500 million with most of the funds coming from a Danish shipping company owner.:

1A-Copenhagen-OperaFountain.jpg

Appreciate your good questions and as a reward, here are more options to consider for Copenhagen. Keep the good comments and questions rolling along. I like people who are smart and raise good interests.

Need more to feed your excitement?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 143,135 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain we walked past on our afternoon stroll back to our docked ship. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary. Legend has it that the Swedish King promised the goddess Gefion as much land as she could plow overnight. She turned her four sons into oxen and set about accomplishing this herculean task. By the time dawn broke, she had ploughed a sizeable chunk, which she then tossed into the sea. From it sprung the island of Zealand, where Denmark’s capital now sits.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

From the front of our docked ship, here is the view of Copenhagen's new Opera House, baroque church/corkscrew spire, the harbor, various ships and buildings, etc.:

CopenhHarborOperaTow.jpg

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge. YES, doing this canal tour is a must-do to allow better views of the various historic buildings from a relaxing angle in this Royal city.:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

1A-Copenh-UnderBridge.jpg

Copenhagen's famed and beloved Mermaid statue is fairly small (1.25 meters or 4.1 feet) but attracts large crowds. It is now back after spending the summer of 2010 in China. The heroine of Danish author and poet Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale gazes out over Copenhagen’s harbor. The Carlsberg brewery owner commissioned this sculpture and it was unveiled in 1913. After years of the statue being vandalized, the Little Mermaid was moved to her present and safer perch.:

1A-CPH-MermaidCrowds.jpg

CopenhLittleMermaid2.jpg

Thanks again Terry for the pics.

I hope that over the next few days you will be able to give me some ideas about my other ports. I know to be patient as you are very busy but I am looking forward to finding out what are the best options and suggestions.

Can not wait to show DH these pics. He also shoots Nikon , D600 with 28-300 lens and 24-85 lens. Looking to buy wide angle before this trip. I know he will appreciate your pics.

I will check out your other links.

Guess I should get off to work if I want to afford these cruises. Karen

Thanks again Terry for the pics. I hope that over the next few days you will be able to give me some ideas about my other ports. I know to be patient as you are very busy but I am looking forward to finding out what are the best options and suggestions. Can not wait to show DH these pics. He also shoots Nikon , D600 with 28-300 lens and 24-85 lens. Looking to buy wide angle before this trip. I know he will appreciate your pics. I will check out your other links. Guess I should get off to work if I want to afford these cruises. Karen

RJ2002: Oh gosh. This is purely a personal preference' date=' but I really enjoyed [b']Peterof, Catherine's Palace, and the Hermitage most of all.[/b] Close second would be Church on the Spilled Blood, and maybe St Issac's (just because it is so massive). Peterof and Catherine's are both outside the central St Petersburg area, so it takes time to get to them. Hermitage, Spilled Blood and St Issac's are all in town. I also enjoyed the canal boat ride in town, but you probably wouldn't have time for that. You'll see the canals as you are transiting between the venues in town anyway.

Appreciate, Karen, your nice follow-up. YES, getting to work is very important to pay for these various travel adventures, new cameras, food, etc. Glad your husband was smart in both his choice of Nikon cameras and his wife.

Agree with RJ2002 on the top suggestions that were done for St. Petersburg. Those top five cited would also be my "best of the best" listing for this wonderful city. Below are a few of my St. Petersburg samples from being there. At the Hermitage, it is a museum, but it is also a very unique and special collection of five palaces, etc. It is not just the art that great there. Don't think of it as just a boring, old museum.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 119,410 views.

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide from Anastasia, we view this spectacular reception “ballroom”, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule, getting our personal questions answered, etc. This majestic setting requires a little time to “soak it up”.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views where we ate outside and had our lunch.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Here is the Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage. It was restored after the fire of 1837. This white marble staircase is divided into two flights with ten solid columns of granite supporting the vaults of the staircase. Full of light and gleaming with gilding and mirrors, the staircase extends for the whole height of the Winter Palace. The painted ceiling is by 18th-century artist Diziano Gasparo representing the gods of Olympus Olympus. This gives an impression of an additional height to the staircase. The décor of the staircase includes monumental sculptures brought by Peter the Great from Italy. In the 18th century the staircase was known as the Ambassadorial Staircase because the envoys of foreign countries ascended it when going to the palace for official receptions.:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum. It is both! This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Here is more on wonderful St. Petersburg. Be sure to use the "SEARCH" function on these boards for each of the various cities/ports you are going to visit. There have been lots of different posts, photos, etc., posted earlier that can help you get a sense of your many options in these ports. Don't be shy! Great you are good at asking questions. Lots to share and learn from previous travels to these great cities of the Baltics. Also grab, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 143,257 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Examining closely one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes much more than just paintings and sculptures. The Russian skills and craftsmanship for such details is amazing and must be seen “up close and personal”. You cannot just walk by quickly and appreciate fully the expert workmanship!:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac. Spilled Blood or the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ was built on the site along a canal where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881 and its building was dedicated to his memory. Construction began in 1883 and was completed in 1907. This city's architecture is predominantly Baroque and Neoclassical, but this church harkens back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. The Church contains over 7500 square metres of mosaics, among the most for any church in the world. It suffered much damage during the Russian Revolution and World War II, but was reopened in 1997, after 27 years of restoration. The results are beautiful!!:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg. Some “riding around time” allows an opportunity to see the variety of buildings in this historic capital.:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

A closer look at a part of St. Isaac's interior, including the eight columns of semiprecious stone including six of the green malachite and two smaller ones of lazurite. Internal features such as columns, pilasters, floor and statue of Montferrand are composed of multicolored granites and marbles gathered from all parts of Russia.:

StPIssacCathGreenColumns.jpg

I spent a month in St Pete many years ago and had excursions or museums every single day. One day is absolutely nothing. You gotta spend at least one day in the city (city tour with short stops in Isaac Church and other places), plus some time in Hermitage and one day in one of outside Tsar's residences.

The OP has stated that, due to scheduling and itinerary issues, she will only have 1 day in St Petersburg, so that is what she has to work with.

Thankfully, the local tour operators have these short visits down to a science. I am sure they will pack in as much as possible into the one day tour.

happy_travellers: I also have stayed at The Square in Copenhagen. You can't beat it for location.

edit: please note: when we were in Copenhagen in May, there was a very large construction project going on in the square (not the hotel, but he square itself). I'd say about 1/3 of the square is impacted. There are temporary walls around the construction site, and there was a huge deep hole that you could see. I am not sure what they are building. Hopefully this will be completed by the time you are there. We didn't stay at The Square on this past visit because of the construction. I'd read about it here on CC. Might want to double check on the projected completion if you are contemplating staying at The Square.

I came across this thread that might help people that are looking at this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1897763

Our first port is Tallin so we will do self-guided walk. With a stop at a local restaurant for lunch, maybe in local apparel would be nice. This seems like a great DIY port. If any one has a do not miss or a don't bother please share.

St Petersburg of course is a tour. Hopefully private but if not what would be the sights to see on such limited time. My DH would love to see Church on Spilled Blood.

Hope I am on the right track. Next ports are Helsinki, Stockholm. Then Flam, Geiranger,

Alesund, Bergen and back to Copenhagen.

Flam will be the train. I know to get off the cruise ship as early as possible to get tickets. It looks like we are the only cruise in that day. Since its late May this seems like best option.

Karen

The OP has stated that, due to scheduling and itinerary issues, she will only have 1 day in St Petersburg, so that is what she has to work with.

Thankfully, the local tour operators have these short visits down to a science. I am sure they will pack in as much as possible into the one day tour.

happy_travellers: I also have stayed at The Square in Copenhagen. You can't beat it for location.

I did check out the Square but it is way over my budget. I have booked Hotel Alexandra and Hotel Ibsen. Both seem close to Tivoli and the Palace.

DH and I are both very good walkers so hopefully these are good choices. Hotel Alexandra seems to be a very "Danish" hotel which is what we were after.

Must go to work, Karen

Appreciate, Karen, your nice follow-up. YES, getting to work is very important to pay for these various travel adventures, new cameras, food, etc. Glad your husband was smart in both his choice of Nikon cameras and his wife.

Agree with RJ2002 on the top suggestions that were done for St. Petersburg. Those top five cited would also be my "best of the best" listing for this wonderful city. Below are a few of my St. Petersburg samples from being there. At the Hermitage, it is a museum, but it is also a very unique and special collection of five palaces, etc. It is not just the art that great there. Don't think of it as just a boring, old museum.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 119,410 views.

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide from Anastasia, we view this spectacular reception “ballroom”, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule, getting our personal questions answered, etc. This majestic setting requires a little time to “soak it up”.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views where we ate outside and had our lunch.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Here is the Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage. It was restored after the fire of 1837. This white marble staircase is divided into two flights with ten solid columns of granite supporting the vaults of the staircase. Full of light and gleaming with gilding and mirrors, the staircase extends for the whole height of the Winter Palace. The painted ceiling is by 18th-century artist Diziano Gasparo representing the gods of Olympus Olympus. This gives an impression of an additional height to the staircase. The décor of the staircase includes monumental sculptures brought by Peter the Great from Italy. In the 18th century the staircase was known as the Ambassadorial Staircase because the envoys of foreign countries ascended it when going to the palace for official receptions.:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum. It is both! This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

So beautiful!

I think this is one of the stops to put my money into. That is the type of advice that I was originally looking for. So happy to be on the right track. The private tour I am on a wait list for will be perfect if it does not work out at least I know what to look for in a tour of St Petersburg. So funny but we thought of this stop as a bonus not the main event! I emailed DH to say that YES he does need that wide angle lens he's been bugging forafter seeing these museum pics.

Thanks to all for the advice. Please keep it coming for the other ports.

Sincerely, Karen

Oh gosh. This is purely a personal preference, but I really enjoyed Peterof, Catherine's Palace, and the Hermitage most of all. Close second would be Church on the Spilled Blood, and maybe St Issac's (just because it is so massive).

Peterof and Catherine's are both outside the central St Petersburg area, so it takes time to get to them. Hermitage, Spilled Blood and St Issac's are all in town.

I also enjoyed the canal boat ride in town, but you probably wouldn't have time for that. You'll see the canals as you are transiting between the venues in town anyway.

It is good you are working on a private tour. That would be the way to get in as many venues in as possible. I would recommend not stopping for lunch at a restaurant, you'd be wasting valuable time. Hopefully your private tour option is considering a packed lunch.

Since you are on this forum, you are no doubt aware of all the major players for tour operators. We used SPB, and actually did the private tour option. The other tour operators get great reviews as well, so you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Church of the Spilled Blood is a must for DH. I appreciate any and all help on planning this "trip of a lifetime". I know that is cliche but it is so very true.

Karen

edit: please note: when we were in Copenhagen in May, there was a very large construction project going on in the square (not the hotel, but he square itself). I'd say about 1/3 of the square is impacted. There are temporary walls around the construction site, and there was a huge deep hole that you could see. I am not sure what they are building. Hopefully this will be completed by the time you are there. We didn't stay at The Square on this past visit because of the construction. I'd read about it here on CC. Might want to double check on the projected completion if you are contemplating staying at The Square.

Our tour guide said it was construction for the metro, and that it would continue to go on for quite some time (like years, not months). Apparently the project has been significantly delayed.

Yes, we stayed overnight in charming Copenhagen and it was wonderful. Night with the lights in Tivoli was a super joy. Got up early the next morning, experienced seeing lots of people riding their bikes to work, etc., etc.

Below is info on where we stayed. Location is important. Be central and handy, PLUS, if possible get a flavor for the Danish character and/or style. We can stay at a Marriott and/or chain name any time in America. Why repeat those previous, typical experiences. Try something a little different in Europe, in my view.

Really like The Square!! Yes, would do them again, if the pricing was reasonable. But, Denmark and this part of Europe is not cheap. Super location. Very clean and nice.

Added questions, reactions??

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Terry, thank you.

Yes, I noticed that it is expensive. We are planning to stay one day post cruise before our next day early flight at the Hilton and I was very surprised at the high cost.

I will let you know if I have any additional question concerning a hotel in the City Central.

Archived