Enchantment Traditional vs MTD

Roamer321

What are the differences between the traditional seating in the MDR and the MTD beside being able to pick the time you dine.

Also when I go on the RCI website to set my dining times it only allows me to select the first day. We are on the three night.

What are the differences between the traditional seating in the MDR and the MTD beside being able to pick the time you dine.

Also when I go on the RCI website to set my dining times it only allows me to select the first day. We are on the three night.

We went MTD for our last two cruises. I personally didn't like it because, like you said, you can't easily get reservations ahead of time and you can't just walk up and dine when you want. There was always a very long line at the dining room door.

On the last cruise I took, there were only two of us. We just wanted to make reservations for a particular time each evening of the cruise. We weren't able to do it online, other than 5:30p. If we wanted 5:30, we would have done traditional. When we got onboard, we tried to find someone to assist us, but there was no one on duty on that ship until the dining room opened. We went up when it opened, waited in line and asked for a nightly reservation. They couldn't accommodate us. They got us a different time (later than we wanted), moved us around to different tables on different nights and insinuated they were doing us a favor by finding us a seat.

This next cruise on Enchantment we are going back to traditional second seating. After two bad experiences, it just seems like they don't have the MTD bugs worked out of their system IMO.

We did an NCL cruise once and that truly was a walk up and be seated type of situation, no wait, no hassle. I'm not sure if it was just that the NCL staff had a better handle or if they were using a different method/system, but it was definitely smoother and more efficient.

The only difference is traditional, you have a set time and table. MTD, you go anytime during the open hours, and can be seated at different tables...like in any restaurant. The menu and dress code are the same in BOTH dining options.

The "popular" dining times (around 7 pm) are not generally able to be reserved in advance, but you can do it on the ship. You don't actually NEED reservations...like any restaurant, you show up and get seated at the next avail. table. Book the 1st night online, then book your other 2 nights on the ship.

We prefer MTD over traditional because we know we can get a table for two if we want to. You can reserve a later time then traditional. We also like it because we can change waiters, tables or guest when we want. When I did my time on my reservations for my cruise this is what I did. When you schedule day 1 on MTD click on modify and you can add the other days.

Edited by cruzin76

MTD is great, especially if you want a table for two or prefer to dine at some time other than the traditional dining times. We always make a standing reservation for 7:45pm online, in advance of the cruise. Never had a problem making a reservation for each night, although sometimes the website takes some trial and error to navigate! On the nights we choose to go to an alternative dining venue we just call to cancel our reservation for that day.

With MTD we have always been seated with the same wait staff and usually at the same table. That could be because we make a standing reservation for the same time each night. We head to the dining room after the early show and the MTD reservations line moves pretty quick...I don't think we have ever waited in line for more than 5 minutes.

Although we have been cruising for years, we are on Enchantment next week and will try MTD for the first time. We have reservations at 6:45 every night. Will we have to wait? I hope not so that I can see the show later in the evening.

Although we have been cruising for years, we are on Enchantment next week and will try MTD for the first time. We have reservations at 6:45 every night. Will we have to wait? I hope not so that I can see the show later in the evening.

Done MTD 5 times, once on the Enchantment. and never waited when I had reservations. Only time I have waited for MTD is when I showed up without a reservation. They told me when to show up and we just looked at our photos in the photo gallery to pass the 30 minute wait.

Just returned from 4 night and 3 night b2b on Enchantment. First cruise we did MTD with 6:00 reservations for all nights made online before boarding. First night we had booth-type table by the kitchen with horrible service. The next afternoon we went to the dining room and requested that we get a different table the next night. It was terrific (waiter Jerry and Anton) and we kept it the rest of the cruise.

Second cruise we were forced into late traditional because of a group and again had terrible wait staff and table by the kitchen. Some tables did not get their entrees until 10:30.

Appeared to be a long line at MTD but it moved very quickly and no one waited more than a few minutes.

We are currently onboard the EOS. This our our first RCCL cruise, we are diamond members because of our status with Celebrity. We have had a wonderful cruise and the staff and crew have all been wonderful except for the problems with my time dining. We were directed to get a 7:30 seating time for all four nights prior to boarding. We were told at this time it would be a good time to book and be able to attend the shows. On the first night when we got the compass we saw the only show was during our dining time so we were directed to change it for one night only to 8:30. We were seated at a table for two in a high traffic area next to the waiter station, at the entrance where people are waiting to be seated and at the staircase. A terrible location but we were told there was no assigned seating so we figured we would have a different table the next evening. The second night when we arrived at 7:30 we had to wait for the same table about 20 minutes for a couple to finish their dessert. The frustration comes in because there were other tables available but they would not seat us in them because we would have a different waiter. This particular night was formal night and we were dressed in the proper attire yet people who were dressed in shorts, t-shirts and ball caps continued to roll in and were seated quickly. The third night we arrived at 7:30 and were told we have to wait once again that the people seated at "our" table were about to get dessert. We asked to simply be seated elsewhere but were declined. It was then we went to guest services where we were quickly met by a supervisor, Fathi Msarni who told us we should have known 7:30 was not a good time and we should not expect things to go perfectly. He didn't seem to understand that waiting 20 minutes or more to be seated was not acceptable when we had a reservation and there were other tables available. We would have to change to an 8:00 seating time and miss the show or wait for the table to become available after they finished their dessert. We found him to be very disrespectful and cocky!!! No resolution! We chose not to argue and simply walked away. We have not been back and just chose to eat in the windjammer buffet.

This is similar to the experience I had, once on Enchantment, and once on Brilliance. At the time, I wondered if I just wasn't understanding the system, but others were grumbling as well. However it sounds like most people commenting on this thread have had good luck with MTD so it obviously makes some people happy. Since I did not, and there is still an option, I will stick with traditional this next time.

We are currently onboard the EOS. This our our first RCCL cruise, we are diamond members because of our status with Celebrity. We have had a wonderful cruise and the staff and crew have all been wonderful except for the problems with my time dining. We were directed to get a 7:30 seating time for all four nights prior to boarding. We were told at this time it would be a good time to book and be able to attend the shows. On the first night when we got the compass we saw the only show was during our dining time so we were directed to change it for one night only to 8:30. We were seated at a table for two in a high traffic area next to the waiter station, at the entrance where people are waiting to be seated and at the staircase. A terrible location but we were told there was no assigned seating so we figured we would have a different table the next evening. The second night when we arrived at 7:30 we had to wait for the same table about 20 minutes for a couple to finish their dessert. The frustration comes in because there were other tables available but they would not seat us in them because we would have a different waiter. This particular night was formal night and we were dressed in the proper attire yet people who were dressed in shorts, t-shirts and ball caps continued to roll in and were seated quickly. The third night we arrived at 7:30 and were told we have to wait once again that the people seated at "our" table were about to get dessert. We asked to simply be seated elsewhere but were declined. It was then we went to guest services where we were quickly met by a supervisor, Fathi Msarni who told us we should have known 7:30 was not a good time and we should not expect things to go perfectly. He didn't seem to understand that waiting 20 minutes or more to be seated was not acceptable when we had a reservation and there were other tables available. We would have to change to an 8:00 seating time and miss the show or wait for the table to become available after they finished their dessert. We found him to be very disrespectful and cocky!!! No resolution! We chose not to argue and simply walked away. We have not been back and just chose to eat in the windjammer buffet.

I asked my travel agent to change us to the traditional early seating. He says we are on the waiting list for that. What ever that means.

It means you have a chance of being moved to traditional early dining. If you get moved, it usually happens close to final payment date.

Well it turns out the MTD worked fine for us. What I thought was a problem with the RCL website was not at all. I was only able to make a reservation for the first night online and that is the way it is supposed to be.

We went to the Maitre D's station on deck 5 and told her that we wanted 5:45p for the rest of the cruise and there was no problem getting seated right away when arrived early each day.

We very much liked our server team of Cruz and Imade and like the table for 2 by the window. So we requested and got the same for the duration. The first night MTD area was full but each night it got less crowded. Maybe it was the time we chose. Early for some.

• 4 weeks later...
Well it turns out the MTD worked fine for us. What I thought was a problem with the RCL website was not at all. I was only able to make a reservation for the first night online and that is the way it is supposed to be.

We went to the Maitre D's station on deck 5 and told her that we wanted 5:45p for the rest of the cruise and there was no problem getting seated right away when arrived early each day.

We very much liked our server team of Cruz and Imade and like the table for 2 by the window. So we requested and got the same for the duration. The first night MTD area was full but each night it got less crowded. Maybe it was the time we chose. Early for some.

You can make a reservation for every night online. You just have to trick the website. First, make your first night's reservation. Then, after that is added to your cart, modify the reservation to add the other nights. I did it on both of my upcoming bookings. Now, when I look at my cruise planner schedule, it shows each reservation on each night. They might not recognize it onboard, I don't know, but I can reserve each night this way.

You can make a reservation for every night online. You just have to trick the website. First, make your first night's reservation. Then, after that is added to your cart, modify the reservation to add the other nights. I did it on both of my upcoming bookings. Now, when I look at my cruise planner schedule, it shows each reservation on each night. They might not recognize it onboard, I don't know, but I can reserve each night this way.

Not to be flip, but if they don't recognize it onboard, what good is it?