Anthem of Seas at Cape Liberty for a Texan help!

euphscott

OK - I am trying to piece together lots of advice found here - but my conditions seem to be unique, I am not quite getting it all - so any kind helpful NY natives (or cruising vets!) that can point me in the right direction would be helpful.

First - flying from Texas (DFW - American Airlines) - which airport?

Second - Would like to see a little of the City (I know - WAY too short a time frame, but I can only get there a day before the cruise in May), so stay in Manhattan? Times Square? And given step one - how do I get to this hotel best?

Third - How to get from suggested hotel or area to Cape Liberty?

My wife and I are 46 and 38 and in good shape - we will likely have a small carry-on suitcase each and a garment bag between us - we can physically schlep this if necessary (so as much train action as possible is perfectly ok if this is advised).

I may need a few more details, but putting this all together is a little more than I've been able to successfully learn (I thought we were flying into Newark and staying at the Hilton at the airport - plans changed!).

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

OK - I am trying to piece together lots of advice found here - but my conditions seem to be unique, I am not quite getting it all - so any kind helpful NY natives (or cruising vets!) that can point me in the right direction would be helpful.

First - flying from Texas (DFW - American Airlines) - which airport?

Second - Would like to see a little of the City (I know - WAY too short a time frame, but I can only get there a day before the cruise in May), so stay in Manhattan? Times Square? And given step one - how do I get to this hotel best?

Third - How to get from suggested hotel or area to Cape Liberty?

My wife and I are 46 and 38 and in good shape - we will likely have a small carry-on suitcase each and a garment bag between us - we can physically schlep this if necessary (so as much train action as possible is perfectly ok if this is advised).

I may need a few more details, but putting this all together is a little more than I've been able to successfully learn (I thought we were flying into Newark and staying at the Hilton at the airport - plans changed!).

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

What exact date would you be flying in? What is your hotel budget for Manhattan? Inbound EWR and LGA are your best options if you stay in Manhattan.

From Manhattan the best way to get to Cape Liberty is a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. Public transit via accessible PATH and light rail and local taxi would run you about $20-22 for two people if your hotel is close to Herald Square. Car service would run $80-100. LGA to Manhattan via car service is $45-55. EWR train service to New York Penn Station is $13/pp and airport bus to Port Authority is $17-18. You would want to fly home from EWR.

On the way to NYC, I'd base my flight decision on whichever airport had the cheapest non-stop flights.

Home from Cape Liberty, I'd fly from NYC.

IMO it's more complicated than that.

There are 3 "New York" airports. There are 3 "New York" Cruiseports.

It's a question of time, money, and stress.

Time - what is the range of time it could actually take to get to any airport from a particular Cruiseport? New York metro traffic can make certain trips at certain times of day a nightmare. Is train a convenient option?

Money - what is the estimated cost to get from the Cruiseport to the airport including tolls and tip. Does the transportation cost eat up any flight savings?

Stress - how stressful can the trip be considering possible delays due to traffic and weather?

For Cape Liberty we've had lots of unhappy posters who booked flights in and out of LaGuardia or JFK before they priced the cost of getting to and from Cape Liberty.

You can see a lot in one day, if you spend the night in Manhattan, go for it! Get the earliest flight you can. Lots of options which area to stay, depending what you want to do.

You can fly into LaG and then fly home from EWR if you stay a night in Manhattan.

What exact date would you be flying in? What is your hotel budget for Manhattan? Inbound EWR and LGA are your best options if you stay in Manhattan.

I am looking at flying in 5/10 - my hotel budget is fluid - we are SPG members with a healthy chunk of points we will likely allocate for that night - so Westin and Sheraton properties are our targets.

Thanks for the car service options - we will definitely be a party of 2 - we may become a party of 4.

IMO it's more complicated than that.

There are 3 "New York" airports. There are 3 "New York" Cruiseports.

It's a question of time, money, and stress.

Time - what is the range of time it could actually take to get to any airport from a particular Cruiseport? New York metro traffic can make certain trips at certain times of day a nightmare. Is train a convenient option?

Money - what is the estimated cost to get from the Cruiseport to the airport including tolls and tip. Does the transportation cost eat up any flight savings?

Stress - how stressful can the trip be considering possible delays due to traffic and weather?

For Cape Liberty we've had lots of unhappy posters who booked flights in and out of LaGuardia or JFK before they priced the cost of getting to and from Cape Liberty.

In one post you have summed up just a portion of my challenge! I can knock out a Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Port Canaveral, Long Beach, and Galveston departure pretty easily. But this New York stuff is a fun one! :)

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking at flying in 5/10 - my hotel budget is fluid - we are SPG members with a healthy chunk of points we will likely allocate for that night - so Westin and Sheraton properties are our targets.

Thanks for the car service options - we will definitely be a party of 2 - we may become a party of 4.

For SPG, if you fly into EWR, you can find a W in Hoboken and a Westin in Jersey City. Both are an easy train ride into NYC and are close to Cape Liberty.

I am out of Cape Liberty in February and am staying at the W.

Hey BruinsFan08,

We too are trying to get to NYC from NJ for a day in February. Am I reading the train schedules correctly that from Hoboken or Jersey City the train only goes to WTC?

Thank you.

Currently on weekends there is no PATH service between Hoboken and 33rd St due to track work. http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories_path.html

However there will be weekend service directly from Hoboken to World Trade (this is normally weekdays only) stopping in Jersey City at Newport and Exchange Place. Service from Newark to World Trade is unaffected - trains will stop in Harrison and in Jersey City at Journal Square, Grove St, and Exchange Place on the way to World Trade.

However, this track work should be done by January.

Edited by 138east

Currently on weekends there is no PATH service between Hoboken and 33rd St due to track work. http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories_path.html

However there will be weekend service directly from Hoboken to World Trade (this is normally weekdays only) stopping in Jersey City at Newport and Exchange Place. Service from Newark to World Trade is unaffected - trains will stop in Harrison and in Jersey City at Journal Square, Grove St, and Exchange Place on the way to World Trade.

However, this track work should be done by January.

Thanks for the info.

Hey Cruising4, if I read the timetables correctly, they are saying that the outage will be completed on Dec 19th, so we should be good for February.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by BruinsFan08

• 3 weeks later...
For SPG, if you fly into EWR, you can find a W in Hoboken and a Westin in Jersey City. Both are an easy train ride into NYC and are close to Cape Liberty.

I am out of Cape Liberty in February and am staying at the W.

How do I get to the W? Is there a train option or is that strictly a taxi ride?

On the way to NYC, I'd base my flight decision on whichever airport had the cheapest non-stop flights.

Home from Cape Liberty, I'd fly from NYC.

That's great, until you end up flying into JFK at rush hour and it takes you 2 hours or more to get to your hotel in midtown.

Flying in, I'd choose LGA and stay in midtown to be centrally based for 1 day of sightseeing. #2 option would be flying into Newark. Take a car service like Dial 7 to the cruise port in NJ. Flying home, Newark is the closest airport to Cape Liberty, and thus the fastest/easiest/cheapest to get to.

How do I get to the W? Is there a train option or is that strictly a taxi ride?

Public Transit non rush hours is relatively empty. I've always gotten seats with my luggage next to me.

From EWR to the W by public transit would be as follows:

1) Take the free Airtrain from your terminal to the airport train station. NJ Transit train from Newark Airport Station to Newark Penn Station - $8.50/pp.

2) PATH from Newark Penn Station to Exchange Place (across the platform transfer). At Exchange Place transfer across the platform to the other track for the Hoboken train. $2.75/pp

3) walk about 4 blocks to the W

Cab to the W from the airport will be $55-65.

From the W to Cape Liberty would be as follows:

1). Walk to the Hoboken train station from the W

2). Take the Hudson-Bergen light rail Bayonne 8th St train to 34th St in Bayonne - $2.25/pp

3) Call a local cab to go into the port - $10-12

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Westin looks like a real good option - and train directions seem easy. Is it ok to schlep luggage on the trains assuming it can be done physically by me and mine?

The directions for the Westin in Jersey City are different from the directions to the W in Hoboken.

From Newark Penn Station you take PATH to Journal Square in Jersey City and transfer across the platform to the 33rd St train to Newport/Pavonia. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html It's about a 2-3 block walk from the Newport Station to the Westin.

There is no problem schlepping bags on the trains. I've done it several times. For PATH the trains you would be taking originate at Newark Penn Station and Journal Square, so you have a good chance of getting seats.

Thanks 138 - Flights for Newark are $185 RT from Texas on American today - so New Jersey it is! Your help is very much appreciated.

That sounds like a really good price.

To get from the Westin to Cape Liberty by public transit for $16.50-19.50/2 people:

1). You can take the NJ Transit Hudson-Bergen light rail (Bayonne 8th St train to 34th St Bayonne) from either the Newport or Harsimus light rail station for $2.25/pp.

Newport light rail station might be a bit closer. When you walk to the Newport PATH station, stay on the Westin side of the street and look for the walkway by the Newport Mall that is the pedestrian cut through to the light rail station - Google 'newport mall light rail picture' to see a picture of this walkway as it appears from Washington Blvd.

2). At 34th St Bayonne call a local cab or use Uber to get you into the port. $12-15 range. Be sure the cab tells you if the pickup is in the parking area or on Ave E. IMO Ave E is easiest with luggage and there is a bench to sit on.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300