Luxury Lines

LHT28

What is the determining factors on what makes a cruise line a luxury line?

Price?

Amenities?

Larger cabins?

All inclusive?

I have yet to figure out what makes a cruise line a luxury one :confused:

In my opinion, it's service more than anything else that makes for a luxury experience. I guess you could add amenities to that, but in the sense of quality of quantity of amenities.......smaller but more comfortable cabins or better quality food but fewer restaurants/dining locations, for example.

Well, in my opinion, anyway - and my first Luxury cruise is still a year away.

Price?

Amenities?

Larger cabins?

All inclusive?

I think this is a case of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." To us the OS on Oceania is all the luxury we could want. Wonderful food and service and great people who like the casual mostly non-smoking atmosphere. We also don't like paying for drinks we don't consume or excursions we don't take.

Some on this board will sate that O is not luxury, so be it!;)

Price?

Amenities?

Larger cabins?

All inclusive?

Really great question. Some cruise lines (like Oceania, Azamara and elite sections of some ships) would like to be classified as "luxury". All luxury lines are all-inclusive to some extent. Tipping, most alcohol, all non-alcoholic drinks and room service is included. Airfare and transfers are usually included. All have lovely cabins, amenities and top-notch service. Some include butlers. There are no "inside cabins" on luxury ships.

As an interesting note, luxury cruise lines are more sedate than other cruise lines. Some of this is due to the size. There are no malls, climbing wall(s) or large swimming pools (usually one small pool). Luxury cruise lines sail most of the year with few children (some luxury lines do not really want children on board). During the summer and school breaks there are programs for children on a couple of the luxury lines.

Everyone is treated the same on luxury lines. You will not get priority embarkation/disembarkation or front seats on the bus on a lux line. There are perks that are offered within the confines of your suite (and good benefits for loyal cruisers). You just do not see preferential treatment once you leave the confines of your cabin.

Price is not a factor. You can get a top suite on mainstream cruise lines and pay as much as on a luxury line (when you add in tips, airfare, etc.)

The bottom line is that the cruise industry determines which cruise lines are luxury. I would compare a luxury line to a very fine restaurant where you enjoy the food, service and ambience.

Hope this helped answer your question.

I think this is a case of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." To us the OS on Oceania is all the luxury we could want. Wonderful food and service and great people who like the casual mostly non-smoking atmosphere. We also don't like paying for drinks we don't consume or excursions we don't take.

Some on this board will sate that O is not luxury, so be it!;)

I agree

We have not & will never stay in an OS but I think Oceania is luxury and compares to those that are classed as luxury lines in service, food and other areas that luxury lines promote

Really great question. Some cruise lines (like Oceania, Azamara and elite sections of some ships) would like to be classified as "luxury". All luxury lines are all-inclusive to some extent. Tipping, most alcohol, all non-alcoholic drinks and room service is included. Airfare and transfers are usually included. All have lovely cabins, amenities and top-notch service. Some include butlers. There are no "inside cabins" on luxury ships.

so basically if the ship has no inside cabins and alcohol, tips & airfare are included then it is a luxury line

I thought Crystal was always classed as a luxury line but until recently they were not all inclusive :confused:

so basically if the ship has no inside cabins and alcohol, tips & airfare are included then it is a luxury line

I thought Crystal was always classed as a luxury line but until recently they were not all inclusive :confused:

You're right! Crystal has always been considered a luxury line. I used to say that most luxury lines were all-inclusive. Now that Crystal has joined in, I can say "all":) Also, not all luxury lines include airfare (Seabourn does not). Silversea has a charge for two of their speciality restaurants. Regent is the only luxury line that has about 50% of their excursions included. I think the luxury lines intentionally do things a bit differently from each other for marketing purposes:confused:

Crystal is definitely a luxury line. IMO, what differentiates a luxury line from a premium line is the level of service and personal attention. On Crystal one can give the staff a day's notice for any special meal request. Want steak tartare or osso bucco for dinner, or Bavarian wedding cake for dessert? Done. Feel like having caviar tonight? Done. The staff learns your name and your preferences.

Your refrigerator is stocked and re-stocked with your personal preferences in soft drinks, water, and beer. Your fruit basket is replenished with your favorite fruits. Order your espresso with two sugars once and get it that way next time without asking. The staff anticipates your wishes and remembers your preferences.

The specialty restaurants are truly special - Crystal's Silk Road is the only restaurant at sea with the cuisine of Nobu. The black miso cod is pure heaven. The sushi bar is open every night, first come, first serve. The Carpaccio di Manza in Prego is the best I've ever had -- with 25 year old Modena balsamic and freshly grated Reggiano Parmesan. All at no extra charge.

Small elegant touches abound - Villeroy & Bosch designs created just for the line, Frette robes, round the clock in-suite dining.

Shore excursions -- the buses are never filled to capacity so that the guests never feel crowded. Been to Ephesus? In the daytime it's hot, crowded, and noisy but still a wonderful experience. Then go in the evening to a classical concert in front of the library facade. The hordes of tourists are gone, the hawkers are gone. You can hear the birds in the cool evening breeze. It's magical. Only the luxury lines offer this experience.

Days at sea - a golf pro on every cruise, a certified bridge teacher on every cruise, gentleman hosts for the ladies who dance on every cruise, interesting performers and lecturers - on every cruise. Right now these are the speakers on the Crystal Serenity:

Regis Philbin - you know who he is

Neil Leifer

When the London Observer listed the 50 greatest sporting images of all time, photographs by Neil Leifer ranked first and second. Now principally a producer and director of documentaries and short films, his pictures have appeared in every major magazine, including LIFE, Time, and Sports Illustrated.

Ken Rees (Bristol, England)

Ken Rees brings to the role of destination lecturer over 25 years experience as a world-travelling foreign correspondent.

Dr. Robert Freedman

A Professor of Political Science at Johns Hopkins University, Dr. Robert Freedman is the author of five books on world affairs. He is currently working on a project to analyze the triangular relationship between the United States, China, and Russia. His presentations will cover both Sino-American and Sino-Russian relations. A consultant to the State Department and the CIA, Dr. Freedman has been a member of several US government delegations to Beijing. He is a regular commentator with NPR, the BBC, and the Voice of America.

The luxury lines score consistently at the top of the Travel & Leisure and Conde Nast cruise rankings. Devotees of Crystal, Regent, Silversea and Seabourn may quibble about who's at the top today, but they are all luxury lines.

The premium lines simply cannot provide the level of service, personal attention and high standards that the "luxury" lines provide.

The staff learns your name and your preferences.

Some of the crew know our names & likes from previous cruises on Oceania

Your refrigerator is stocked and re-stocked with your personal preferences in soft drinks, water, and beer. Your fruit basket is replenished with your favorite fruits.

Our fridge is always kept stocked but we very seldom drink sodas & if we want drinks (very seldom drink)

we like to enjoy them with friends at the bar

We do not eat in the cabin so no need for course by course meals

I hate fruit baskets in the cabin

. The Carpaccio di Manza in Prego is the best I've ever had -- with 25 year old Modena balsamic and freshly grated Reggiano Parmesan. All at no extra charge.

I did love the beef Carpaccio with chili oil in Red Ginger on Oceania

tender melt in your mouth with a hint of heat

Small elegant touches abound - Villeroy & Bosch designs created just for the line, Frette robes, round the clock in-suite dining.

Shore excursions -- the buses are never filled to capacity so that the guests never feel crowded.

We very seldom take cruise tours

Days at sea - a golf pro on every cruise, a certified bridge teacher on every cruise, gentleman hosts for the ladies who dance on every cruise,

could care less

interesting performers and lecturers - on every cruise. Right now these are the speakers on the Crystal Serenity:

Regis Philbin - you know who he is cannot stand him

The luxury lines score consistently at the top of the Travel & Leisure and Conde Nast cruise rankings. Devotees of Crystal, Regent, Silversea and Seabourn may quibble about who's at the top today, but they are all luxury lines.

The premium lines simply cannot provide the level of service, personal attention and high standards that the "luxury" lines provide.

Thanks Shorex for the comprehensive answers

I was curious what all the fuss was about who /what were considered luxury cruises

BTW

I do not put any stock in polls by Conde Nast or T & L

YMMV

Who are the demographics that vote in these polls ...they could sway the results

Anyway

If those points you have described for luxury lines are the criteria I guess they are not for us

I guess I will stick with the premium line (Oceania)

We dislike formal nights & our palates seem to be not as refined as luxury cruisers

We like good quality simple fare.

Thanks for those that commented

We are clearly not luxury cruise line material

We are clearly not luxury cruise line material

Don't feel badly if that's the case - luxury may be luxurious, but not necessarily "better" or ideal. One size never fits all (thankfully - how boring would life be if we all liked the same thing). Different people have different priorities, and one set isn't better than the other. I'm taking my first luxury cruise next year, and I chose it primarily because of the accommodations for solo travelers, not because I was seeking "luxury"; I'm actually worried that I might not like the formality of evenings, etc. but on the other hand, I'm thinking I will enjoy the service and comfort......time will tell. Don't knock luxury cruising if it doesn't offer what you value, but don't discount it as being unworthy of it's price either.

Don't feel badly if that's the case - luxury may be luxurious, but not necessarily "better" or ideal. One size never fits all (thankfully - how boring would life be if we all liked the same thing). Different people have different priorities, and one set isn't better than the other. I'm taking my first luxury cruise next year, and I chose it primarily because of the accommodations for solo travelers, not because I was seeking "luxury"; I'm actually worried that I might not like the formality of evenings, etc. but on the other hand, I'm thinking I will enjoy the service and comfort......time will tell. Don't knock luxury cruising if it doesn't offer what you value, but don't discount it as being unworthy of it's price either.

True

I do hope you enjoy your "luxury" experience

We were going to try a different line with friends because they like AI resorts & I was thinking the Luxury lines may work for them

I find Oceania has the service & quality food that works for us without formal nights

It may be lacking in some areas but those are usually not important to us anyway

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

As you know, Regent also does not have formal nights. Crystal remains a mystery as it only went all-inclusive recently. The fact that they do not have "true" open seating remains a concern. I have no doubt that they have excellent service and food (as does Silversea, Regent and Seabourn).

Oceania, besides for having inside cabins and small cabins does not allow for special orders -- not even 24 hours in advance. But, if you book a smaller suite with the alcohol package, it comes fairly close to luxury. The new ships definitely meet the criteria for luxury. They are more like an ala carte luxury ship while it's sister cruise company, Regent, is true luxury.

Luxury cruising definitely isn't for everyone. The age on longer cruises skew higher -- children are looked at as if they were aliens (except when school is not in session) and there is much less to do than on larger ships. Many of us just want nice lectures, wine tastings, spa treatments along with excellent food and service. Kinda boring for a lot of people;)

Oceania, besides for having inside cabins and small cabins does not allow for special orders -- not even 24 hours in advance. But, if you book a smaller suite with the alcohol package, it comes fairly close to luxury. The new ships definitely meet the criteria for luxury. They are more like an ala carte luxury ship while it's sister cruise company, Regent, is true luxury.

Luxury cruising definitely isn't for everyone. The age on longer cruises skew higher -- children are looked at as if they were aliens (except when school is not in session) They are not aliens when school is out ???

and there is much less to do than on larger ships. Many of us just want nice lectures, wine tastings, spa treatments along with excellent food and service. Kinda boring for a lot of people;)

We prefer the smaller ships the new Oceania ships are about the top of our comfort level as far as size goes

We do not mind older people or younger people We have met some lovely 80+ yr olds that we dined with on several occasions

We usually get along with many age groups it is more about the person than their age

We prefer not to have young children on the cruise but if they are allowed by the cruise line then you have to deal with it.

I must say on our Oceania cruises any children we have encountered were well behaved

We do not need rock climbing walls or to be entertained 24/7 so that is not a concern

We rarely drink nor do the spa thing ..we are rather boring ;)

I am quite happy & usually find things to eat on the menus so no need for special orders.

We do enjoy quality food not like on the mainstream lines which seem to deal in quantity

Oceania seems to do very well in the food dept as I am sure Regent does

we do not mind the smaller cabins we pack light so no need of 1000sq ft cabin, we are not usually in the cabin much anyway

I am glad you enjoy the luxury cruise but as you say they are not for everyone

calliopecruiser, Thank you for your comment about "don't knock luxury cruising". One size definitely does not fit all and yet there are cruisers who want to put down those who enjoy "luxury" cruising. I have yet to understand why people resent those who are willing to pay more for what they at a minimum think is better. It is absolutely a question of personal preference. This issue on all CC boards has always been one of my pet peeves as I think everyone is entitled to spend their money as they wish and not be criticized for their choice:D

It is absolutely a question of personal preference. This issue on all CC boards has always been one of my pet peeves as I think everyone is entitled to spend their money as they wish and not be criticized for their choice:D

+1. Absolutely agree that no one should be criticized for their choice of cruise line. Every cruise line has its devotees and detractors. So what? We just cruise, don't worry and be happy. :)

I'm still laughing about the question as to whether children are not looked at as aliens when school is out:D Actually, we don't cruise when school is out as it is right now. Guess they look the same as any other time:confused:

I'm still laughing about the question as to whether children are not looked at as aliens when school is out:D Actually, we don't cruise when school is out as it is right now. Guess they look the same as any other time:confused:

They are trolls all year long according to DH;)

I have never heard them called aliens before but that would also fit the description of some children

Archived