Cirque Terre - when to hike, ferry, train?

summergirlinWI

Any experienced Cirque Terre people out there??? Any suggestions for the best routes between villages to take? I.e. Ferry to x, hike between x & x, train between x & x, for the best scenery and efficient use of our time?

If you do a search on this board you will find a lot of info re CT that will be of help to you I am sure.

depends on when you are going to CT - the ferry does not run year-round. Also, the trails you want to know about are most likely the ones along the coast, not the ones up further up in the hills, right? I believe, as of now, it is still only the trail between Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare that is open on the coast. Plan on 2 hours for the hike - it is single-track "goat trail" and rough-hewn steps, so no flip flops. It is largely exposed, so bring plenty of sunscreen, be prepared for HOT hiking, and bring a lot of water (there is nothing available on the trail). With all the new hoards of tourists landing at La Spezia and heading straight to CT, I imagine you will see lots of people unprepared for hiking on that trail. As far as best view, if you take the hike out of Vernazza for just a little bit, you will come upon the viewpoint where the iconic shots of Vernazza and the harbor are always taken. Take a few minutes to walk there, take the view, take the photo, and then you can walk back down into town.

The coastal trail is still largely closed CHIUSO !!!! Check CT website which trails are open . Have walked Manarola to Corniglia inland. You need to fit, lots of stairs and even walking on rocky creekbeds . Worth the effort, wonderful views !!!!!

On the coastal trails if open have done Riomaggiore - Manarola the Villa de More, piece of cake . Done Corniglia to Vernazza on coastal trail fairly easy with a few steps .

I did post my impressions on what is needed based on my hiking the entire coastal route from Riomaggiore to Monterosso al Mare in one day. With 2 of my friends, we did it this way: Vernazza - Monterosso, train to Riomaggiore, Riomaggiore-Manarolo, Manarolo-Corniglia, Corniglia-Vernazza. We were staying in an apartment in Vernazza, so this routing made the most sense to us. Other than the paved (and still closed) walkway (can't call it a "trail") between Riomaggiore and Manarolo, it is indeed hiking on single track, with rock or cut tree stairs, rocks, no handrails, uphills, downhills. We were worn out after doing all that hiking - a drink and some food at Il Pirata were our welcome reward.

Thanks everyone for the good input. Yes, unfortunately, alot of the coastal trails are closed. I will have to see when I am there if I can at least walk a short ways to get any type of vista views. I love taking pics with my DSLR and enjoy getting different angle shots.

I am sure alot of it will depend on weather the day we are there. We visit in October so I could end up just taking the train if its raining. (more of a chance in October from what I have read).

SliderGirl - Have you hiked 1d: Termine - Cape of Mesco for the panoramic views of all 5 villages? If yes, how does it compare to the coastal 2c: Vernazza to Monterosso al Mare trail? Views compared to difficulty of path? Documentation shows the Cape trail is 3-3.5 hours so much longer just curious if its really worth it. i.e. is there decent scenery along the way? or are we better off just spending the time in the villages?

Finally, I have ferry schedule from last year for October. Do you think I could walk down some of the closed trails (if possible) a little to get the entire village views? otherwise, the ferry would be the only way to get these. And paying for ferry & train might not make sense.

I am really looking forward to hiking though. and hoping to get away (if possible) from the crowds.

I like your plan and will probably work that way to hopefully not follow everyone else should the ferry not work out.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by summergirlinWI

Ferry vs train is often best decided given the schedules when you are ready to go. As to the trails, the most popular (and easy segment) between Riomaggiore and Manarola remains cruised with no prospect of it reopening in the near future. You can research the other trails online, in some decent guide books, and on guides you can get at Riomaggiore or Monterosso al mare (they might also have some brochures at the other villages). You want to be careful to do your homework because some of the trail segments such as between Monterosso and Vernazza are quite long (and difficult for some folks).

Hank

If the coastal trails are closed some stunning view to be had of the rugged coastline in the village of Corniglia high up on a hill . Take the tarin to Corniglia then shuttle bus up to village from station . You can walk up the roadway 30 minutes or 350 zig zag stairs at the Vernazza end of Corniglia station . Once up in the village walk through the village to the coast and you will get some sensational views along the coastline. Graet restaurants and gekato here in Corniglia akso . NB : Ferries do not call at Corniglia .

The village of Manarolo referred to is in fact Manarola .

If the times and weather are good then the ferry is wonderful. Take the train to Corniglia and hike up. It is so worth it. We ate at the entrance to the village out on a terrace overlooking vineyards and water with flowers blooming. It was a magical spot with great fresh 'sardines', pasta and local pesto and local wine.

SliderGirl - Have you hiked 1d: Termine - Cape of Mesco for the panoramic views of all 5 villages? If yes, how does it compare to the coastal 2c: Vernazza to Monterosso al Mare trail? Views compared to difficulty of path? Documentation shows the Cape trail is 3-3.5 hours so much longer just curious if its really worth it. i.e. is there decent scenery along the way? or are we better off just spending the time in the villages?

We did not do 1d so I can't comment. But, if you start in Vernazza, you will get the "postcard" overlook view of Vernazza - maybe 15 minutes or so into the walk…

I just looked at the Cinque Terre National Park site - it looks like the Corniglia-Vernazza trail may be open - I didn't dive in too much to verify.

I was there at the end of Aug/Sept last year and hiked from Monterosso to Vernazza and Varnazza to Corniglia all in one day. The other trails were closed. Taking the ferry would be ideal, if it is running. We stayed in Cinque Terre and it did not run 2 of the days we were there. Have a backup plan. If you do not have time to take the long hikes, at least walk up the hill at Varnazza at the beginning of the trail and you will get some beautiful shots of the town. There is a hut to buy your tickets as you walk the trail. In one of the pictures you will see the hut along the trail to buy your ticket. You can walk the trail without paying before the hut. You can see my pictures of my hike at

http://winenchocolate.com/hiking-monterosso-to-vernazza/

Have a good trip, Cinque Terre is beautiful.

Thanks for the info & pics helped give some perspective!

I was there at the end of Aug/Sept last year and hiked from Monterosso to Vernazza and Varnazza to Corniglia all in one day. The other trails were closed. Taking the ferry would be ideal, if it is running. We stayed in Cinque Terre and it did not run 2 of the days we were there. Have a backup plan. If you do not have time to take the long hikes, at least walk up the hill at Varnazza at the beginning of the trail and you will get some beautiful shots of the town. There is a hut to buy your tickets as you walk the trail. In one of the pictures you will see the hut along the trail to buy your ticket. You can walk the trail without paying before the hut. You can see my pictures of my hike at

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Do you know if the train pass that allows you to get off and on in any of the towns can be purchased with a credit card? And that pass includes the hiking pass I think - is that right?

I have the same ambition of visiting CT and hike a section of the "Sentiero Azzurro" in 2+ weeks. Really appreciate the feedbacks and OP asking this question. Especially to Bobal's (post #3, I think) link to the official CT website. That is by far the most helpful and comprehensive CT site I found - once I figured out how to convert it the English from Italian :)(by clicking the Union Jack flag on Top right corner). It has ferry schedules, stops, prices, and train schedules, description of hiking trails, maps, etc. The only thing I have not found yet is any up-to-date trail closure information - maybe there's none!!

My plan is to drive from Port Livorno to Riomaggiore, ferry to Monterosso, hike the section b/w Monterosso and Vernaza, and return to Riomaggiore via train. Failing that, I will do whatever happens! At least now, I have a better grasp on lay of the land.

Cheers

We got an all-day ferry pass in July 2015. We saw all four towns, starting in Vernazza. Just didn't see Corniglia which is up on the hill and not on the water. The ferry was really fun, great views, very relaxing, good schedule. We had plenty of time to sample all four towns. I really loved that Cinque Terre. I would like to go back. It had elements of California beach town (think Santa Cruz), Disneyland, and deep traditional little Italian town. It was charming to me.

Oh no! More to think about ! What ship were you on? What hours in port? I had settled on the trains.So many choices, so little time. Would the ferries be a problem for those prone to motion sickness? Like me.....:o? Probably depends on the weather. .

Edited by shrinkrap

Oh no! More to think about ! What ship were you on? What hours in port? I had settled on the trains.So many choices, so little time. Would the ferries be a problem for those prone to motion sickness? Like me.....:o? Probably depends on the weather. .

I wouldn't say I was experienced at CT but this was our day

[YOUTUBE]MPZfm28F_lc[/YOUTUBE]

The plan was to walk from Vernazza - Monterrosso and come home by train, but I was so wet that gave up and took a train from Vernazza. When you get to La Spezia train station it's a 25 minute level walk, or a quick taxi.

Can't really comment on motion sickness as I don't suffer from it. I suppose you could look at the sea and make a judgement. I really did enjoy the ferry and it's views, but obviously the train is very much quicker. All the best, Tony

Bravo! Very nice Video!

I wouldn't say I was experienced at CT but this was our day

[YOUTUBE]MPZfm28F_lc[/YOUTUBE]

The plan was to walk from Vernazza - Monterrosso and come home by train, but I was so wet that gave up and took a train from Vernazza. When you get to La Spezia train station it's a 25 minute level walk, or a quick taxi.

Can't really comment on motion sickness as I don't suffer from it. I suppose you could look at the sea and make a judgement. I really did enjoy the ferry and it's views, but obviously the train is very much quicker. All the best, Tony

depends on when you are going to CT - the ferry does not run year-round. Also, the trails you want to know about are most likely the ones along the coast, not the ones up further up in the hills, right? I believe, as of now, it is still only the trail between Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare that is open on the coast. Plan on 2 hours for the hike - it is single-track "goat trail" and rough-hewn steps, so no flip flops. It is largely exposed, so bring plenty of sunscreen, be prepared for HOT hiking, and bring a lot of water (there is nothing available on the trail). With all the new hoards of tourists landing at La Spezia and heading straight to CT, I imagine you will see lots of people unprepared for hiking on that trail. As far as best view, if you take the hike out of Vernazza for just a little bit, you will come upon the viewpoint where the iconic shots of Vernazza and the harbor are always taken. Take a few minutes to walk there, take the view, take the photo, and then you can walk back down into town.

We are going to hike between Monterosso and Vernazza - is this the area we will see the "iconic shots of Vernazza"? Or do we go past to see that?

Hey, I am not slidergirl but can relay to you what I have learned from others on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47210016

This poster shared pics of their hikes between Monterosso, Vernazza and Corniglia (for Vernazza to Corniglia - click on link at bottom of pics of Monterosso to Corniglia). It seem to me that the iconic pics were on the Monterosso to Vernazza trail but as several have mentioned, you can just walk a little ways out of Vernazza on this trail to get these pics. I found this very helpful and after looking at her pics decided to do this but than hike the trail from Vernazza to Corniglia as it appeared more scenic and shorter. (given I only have 1 day).

As another poster mentioned, the ferry does not stop in Corniglia because its not at sea-level like the others. Luckily the train is right there in Corniglia so after hiking the terrain I will already be on the ridge to hop back on the train.

Now to hit the gym to get ready for lots and lots of walking.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47210016

We are going to hike between Monterosso and Vernazza - is this the area we will see the "iconic shots of Vernazza"? Or do we go past to see that?