Seven days in Sydney

timbom

We are going to be in Australia (Sydney) five days before a back to back cruise, one day between the back to back and one day after.

Trying to plan what to do for the five days before (first will certainly be a jet lag day). Am thinking of driving the Coast road to Brisbane however turn in fees are rather high on one way rental. Would it be better to fly round trip?

Want to see the Hunter Valley for a day or two as am into food and wine any other suggestions?

We are going to be in Australia (Sydney) five days before a back to back cruise, one day between the back to back and one day after.

Trying to plan what to do for the five days before (first will certainly be a jet lag day). Am thinking of driving the Coast road to Brisbane however turn in fees are rather high on one way rental. Would it be better to fly round trip?

Want to see the Hunter Valley for a day or two as am into food and wine any other suggestions?

Are fares from Sydney to Brisbane are not expensive, so unless you really want to see the countryside between the cities, you would be better to fly then hire a car when you get to Brisbane. You only have a limited number of days and there is plenty to see around Brisbane.

It would take a long time - around- 13-14 hours to drive to Brisbane and while there are some pretty places on the route a lot of it is BORING- bush, bush, bush, bush. I would fly or just spend more time in Sydney- plenty to see there and in the Hunter Valley or over the mountains to Mudgee area- - you could go up to the Blue mountains overnight to see some lovely bush scenery- a lot more specacular than you would find on the drive to Brisbane. I would think the Blue Mountains for the bush, the Hunter Valley/ Mudgee for the wine and the Sydney beaches - especially down towards Palm Beach would give you a good overview of what Australia has to offer- without the outback of course, but that wasn't in your plan anyway. Jennie- who has driven that Sydney to Brisbane road dozens of times!

In theory, that drive covers some beautiful coastline, but in practice, it is just like the others have said, not what you would expect at all! It is one of the most dangerous roads as well. They are working to improve the quality of the road. Lots and lots of road works usually. Not something that I would recommend either for the limited time you have.

There is lots to do around Sydney and Brisbane, and the flights are usually pretty cheap as there is a lot of demand on that route. I would be surprised if the drive worked out cheaper with fuel than flying.

What sort of things are you looking to do? Natural beauty spots? Historic? Fun Parks? Beaches? Wildlife Zoos? I see you have said wine tour. I would agree with above, do an organised tour as then all the party can do tasting/eating etc. It is quite a long round trip from Sydney to drive if you are unfamiliar with the roads etc.

Edited by goodycruising

G'day Mate

Definitely don't drive to Brisbane, now days highway, motorway whatever you want to call it most of the way and not a lot to see, a good 10-12 hour drive.

Hunter Valley, where I live has a lot and if you decide to drive take a bit of time and visit Lake Macquarie and or Port Stephens, if that sort of thing takes your fancy. Some great vineyards and eateries in the area.

Sydney has a lot to do and see. Zoo is always popular and a nice Ferry ride across the harbour. Featherdale Wildlife Park [though you could do the Australian Reptile Park at Gosford on the way to from Hunter].

Bridge Climb always popular.

Blue Mountains.

Shopping always keeps the females happy.

Many visitors like a few hours at The Rocks, where your ship might dock which is our most historic area [if 200 years is really historic].

Definitely fly,don't drive to Brisbane, it's a very boring drive!

If you like food and wine and you have the budget, can I suggest dinner or lunch at Jonahs Restaurant, Whale Beach. You can fly there by seaplane and see the beautiful Northern Beaches by air. The view from the restaurant is stunning and the food and service is 5-star. Very pricey but worth it imo.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Canberra is in good driving range of Sydney. I have driven there before and it is an easy drive with little to no cars on the highway there. Hotel prices are cheaper in Canberra. Lots of good things to see and do.

If you decide on Canberra, it is an easy 2.5 hour drive on double lane highway. If you would like to explore between Sydney and Canberra, you could try

Wollongong (via Grand Pacific Drive) especially Northbeach

Nan Tien Temple

Kiama Blow Hole

Fitzroy Falls

Moss Vale

Bowral

Bundanoon

many Canberra Region Wineries

Lake George (you drive past this mysterious lake on the way into Canberra)

Bungendore

and in Canberra http://www.grandpacificdrive.com.au/routes-and-maps/24/beyond-to-canberra

The Australian War Memorial

Australian National Gallery

National Museum of Australia

Parliament House

and many other national institutions

There are many great restaurants as well

I live in Canberra and these are some of my favourites between Canberra and Sydney. You could look at the reviews using google

Hope this helps

J

Edited by jenibor

I would scrap the idea of Brisbane and head down to Canberra as has already been suggested.

Beaches are beaches dare I say that, but Canberra is the capital of Australia. might be boring to some but to overseas tourists I think it is a significant place, and easy to get to by bus as well, that way no worry of having to drive on the opposite side of the road or go round and round and round the numerous roundabouts in Canberra. plenty of day tours available.

We have had several overseas students on exchange and always take them to Canberra if they are with us long enough to be able to make the trip.

As others have said blue mountains, hunter valley, port stephens all lovely places that you will not be exhausted after visiting.

If you are determined to go to Brisbane, definitely fly, great deals available on tiger or Jetstar for a budget flight, but need to book as early as possible. I yesterday booked a flight for a friend travelling November 30th Brisbane to Sydney for $31 AUD

Edited by Tara Jane

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks like your recommendations. Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in Hunter Valley. On the Pacific Hwy does anyone have a favorite hotel stop on it?

Also in looking at travel sights it looks like Blue Mt. are easily reached by train and explorer bus or is it better by rental car. Either way should I try this as a day trip from Sydney or try to stay there?

I would suggest flying to Brisbane over the drive ( have done the drive a few times and it is very boring - regardless if you take the coast or inland). Personally I would agree on doing Sydney and the Hunter Valley. I would also rate going to the Gold Coast/ Northern NSW's over Brisbane. I might be a bit biases since this is where I grew up lol. Beautiful beaches, great people and very relaxing. Brisbane does have some good museums though if that is what you are after.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Thanks like your recommendations. Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in Hunter Valley. On the Pacific Hwy does anyone have a favorite hotel stop on it?

Also in looking at travel sights it looks like Blue Mt. are easily reached by train and explorer bus or is it better by rental car. Either way should I try this as a day trip from Sydney or try to stay there?

I live in the Hunter Valley so normally for me just go home.

But Sebel Kirkton Park or Peppers everytime I get half a chance, in that order.

Blue Mt's train is easy as.