Please don't think I'm CRAZY !!!

Ashland

Will be spending one night pre-cruise Oct in Ft Lauderdale and it's my only chance to go to my beloved "Cracker Barrel"..We won't have a car and haven't chosen our hotel yet..Help me please with some suggestions for my crazy dining need ;):D

Well,there's a Cracker Barrel in Pembroke Pines, about a $25 cab ride away. I suppose it could make your ship MDR meals look really, really good. I don't like the food but do enjoy looking through all the candy junk outside the dining room.

I looked up the Cracker Barrel's and that is the only one I could find as well that is closet to Fort Lauderdale. I don't think I would try to stay there.

Original Poster if this was me and I really wanted to stay near the restaurant I would call them on the phone and ask what hotels are nearby.

Keith

I looked up the Cracker Barrel's and that is the only one I could find as well that is closet to Fort Lauderdale. I don't think I would try to stay there.

Original Poster if this was me and I really wanted to stay near the restaurant I would call them on the phone and ask what hotels are nearby.

Keith

I thought Dania Beach would be closer..not sure (if that one is even still open)..and yes I prefer to stay somewhere around 17th street..stayed last time at ES..Perhaps since we are coming in so early on Friday morning it might be best to rent a car..

Well,there's a Cracker Barrel in Pembroke Pines, about a $25 cab ride away. I suppose it could make your ship MDR meals look really, really good. I don't like the food but do enjoy looking through all the candy junk outside the dining room.

I could also say that about restaurants we have here on the west coast that you don't have in Florida...CB has some sentimental memories for me when traveling to Florida with my parents who have recently passed.

Will be spending one night pre-cruise Oct in Ft Lauderdale and it's my only chance to go to my beloved "Cracker Barrel"..We won't have a car and haven't chosen our hotel yet..Help me please with some suggestions for my crazy dining need ;):D

If you book a rental car a week before your arrival (I use hotwire), you can get a car for what you would pay for a cab.

If you book a rental car a week before your arrival (I use hotwire), you can get a car for what you would pay for a cab.

Thanks so much for the tip...I would probably reserve it before a week prior...but have never used Hotwire..so can you do this far in advance or is it only a week before and how does it work about rental locations and returns? Last time I rented in Ft Lauderdale I was with my family of 6 adults and we rented a minivan from Thrifty and they picked one of us up at ES and we returned it to their location near the PE terminal gate and they shuttled us to the ship..

We've discussed this before and I think you're crazy.

Stay at this hotel, walk next door and you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Extended Stay America Ft Lauderdale-Deerfield Beach

1200 FAU Research Park Blvd

Deerfield Beach, FL 33441

(954) 428-5997

Uh...That's at I-75 and Sheridan Road which is least a $50-$60 one way cab ride from Port Everglades.

I thought Dania Beach would be closer..not sure (if that one is even still open)..and yes I prefer to stay somewhere around 17th street..stayed last time at ES..Perhaps since we are coming in so early on Friday morning it might be best to rent a car..

There's no Cracker Barrel in Dania Beach and never been one to my knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that driving to Deerfield Beach from SE 17th Street in Ft. Lauderdale is even farther than driving to Pembroke Pines from SE 17th Street.

Might be the one we ate at when we have stayed at Embassy Suites before...I think it was maybe a 15min drive (but may be wrong) how far do you estimate the drive to Pembroke Pines (may be wrong again but thought I read some had been closed) ? Thanks so much.

We've discussed this before and I think you're crazy.

Stay at this hotel, walk next door and you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Extended Stay America Ft Lauderdale-Deerfield Beach

1200 FAU Research Park Blvd

Deerfield Beach, FL 33441

(954) 428-5997

Sorry I can't remember discussing this with you...but my reasons for wanting to eat at CB are sentimental now (post #5).

Sorry I can't remember discussing this with you...but my reasons for wanting to eat at CB are sentimental now (post #5).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1763366

Using the Embassy Suites on 17th Street as a base for mileage the Cracker Barrel in Deerfield Beach (next door to the Extended Stay America) is 13.96 miles away and easier and quicker to get to via I-95.

The Pembroke Pines location is 14.27 miles away, but will take you twice as long going down Sheridan Road with lots of stoplights.

The smart play would be to rent a car and stay at the ESA in Deerfield Beach next door to Cracker Barrel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1763366

Using the Embassy Suites on 17th Street as a base for mileage the Cracker Barrel in Deerfield Beach (next door to the Extended Stay America) is 13.96 miles away and easier and quicker to get to via I-95.

The Pembroke Pines location is 14.27 miles away, but will take you twice as long going down Sheridan Road with lots of stoplights.

The smart play would be to rent a car and stay at the ESA in Deerfield Beach next door to Cracker Barrel.

Thanks so much for the rememberance and link to the thread....Darn those "senior moments". And thanks for the mileage/route info. very helpful. But eating there (and visiting their store) once during our visit will be enough, so not necessary to stay next door. The short drive is nothing to us here on the west coast that are used to driving to favorite dinner locations. Looking forward to our pre-cruise visit in October...but now what do you think about weather during that time as a local expert :confused::)

Thanks so much for the rememberance and link to the thread....Darn those "senior moments". And thanks for the mileage/route info. very helpful. But eating there (and visiting their store) once during our visit will be enough, so not necessary to stay next door. The short drive is nothing to us here on the west coast that are used to driving to favorite dinner locations. Looking forward to our pre-cruise visit in October...but now what do you think about weather during that time as a local expert :confused::)

It's right in the middle of hurricane season so it could be absolutely beautiful or it could be raining cats and dogs or it could be a full blown hurricane.

It looks like the Hampton Inn Ft.Lauderdale West 1900 NW 150th Ave, is adjacent to a Cracker Barrel. 15 mi from the FLL airport. Here is the link for the hotel: http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-ft-lauderdale-west-pembroke-pines-FLLWEHX/dining/index.html

The address for the Cracker Barrel is 1960 NW 150th Ave. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/12/151642/restaurant/Miami/Cracker-Barrel-Old-Country-Store-Pembroke-Pines

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/locations-and-hours/closest-cracker-barrel?form=locator_search&locationAddress=33028

Good Luck and bring the Tums..... :)

I'm pretty sure that driving to Deerfield Beach from SE 17th Street in Ft. Lauderdale is even farther than driving to Pembroke Pines from SE 17th Street.

Yes it is about 1 mile further, but it is all freeway traveling at 65 miles per hour

versus going to the one a bit closer traveling mostly by street with endless redlights and stop and go... So do the math

Yes it is about 1 mile further, but it is all freeway traveling at 65 miles per hour

versus going to the one a bit closer traveling mostly by street with endless redlights and stop and go... So do the math

The Cracker Barrel in Pembroke Pines is actually slightly farther than the one in Deerfield Beach, so it's a no-brainer.

Thanks so much for the tip...I would probably reserve it before a week prior...but have never used Hotwire..so can you do this far in advance or is it only a week before and how does it work about rental locations and returns? Last time I rented in Ft Lauderdale I was with my family of 6 adults and we rented a minivan from Thrifty and they picked one of us up at ES and we returned it to their location near the PE terminal gate and they shuttled us to the ship..

What I have found is that if you book 7 days before the rental you get the best price. If you book prior to the 7 days you may pay more and you pay for the rental in advance. If you don't show you lose the money. I just did a practice for FLL next Saturday, pick up at 8am drop off same location 24 hours later. The price was $5 (:eek:). Pick up is the airport. If you book less than 7 days the price goes up each day. I have done this at home as well.

Are you sure about that? Seems to me that one could take I-595 west all the way to I-75 (all at 65mph) and then exit on Sheridan Street, which is right where the Cracker Barrel in Pembroke Pines is.

Are you sure about that? Seems to me that one could take I-595 west all the way to I-75 (all at 65mph) and then exit on Sheridan Street, which is right where the Cracker Barrel in Pembroke Pines is.

I have been living here in So. Florida for 13 years ... I have a bit of experience with the local traffic

My in laws LOVE Cracker Barrel but it literally makes me sick. I think there is some MSG happening there.

Make sure your dates aren't over Boat Show weekend which is the end of October.

I guess some of us love it for what-ever-reason.

Had no idea about the boat show until after I booked...but luckily we depart Oct 5th...WHEW...dodged that timeframe and up pricing :D

Archived