Anyone had change of Black Sea itinerary.

Like other people we are booked on a Black Sea Cruise for later in the year, but do not expect any change of itinerary to be notified for quite some time and things may settle down by then.

Just wondering if anyone on a spring cruise has been given details of any changes as yet.

Like other people we are booked on a Black Sea Cruise for later in the year, but do not expect any change of itinerary to be notified for quite some time and things may settle down by then.

Just wondering if anyone on a spring cruise has been given details of any changes as yet.

Looks like MSC Cruises has made changes. See post #21 on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1997573&page=2

We don't sail until October, but I think it's doubtful ships will be visiting Crimea (Yalta and Sevastopol) this year. I assume Odessa has a better chance but I'm skeptical of that also. Unless things settle down quickly, in my opinion the cruise lines would be better served by altering the itineraries sooner than later.

I certainly wouldn't book a private excursion in Ukraine or Crimea if it involved making a deposit.

We are on the Silver Wind April 25. SS added Sinop, dropped Yalta and Sevastopol. Extra night in port at Istanbul. Still doing Trabzon, Batumi, Sochi, Odessa (as of now) Constanta and Nessebur.

Both Oceania and Azamara have cancelled all their Crimea stops, and Oceania even has cancelled Odessa.

Not according to this in the article posted March 20th...

“For the many guests interested in traveling to destinations visited on our original Black Sea itinerary, we have a sailing in May and September to accommodate those guests,” Oceania said in a statement.

Just looked at Oceania's website and their May 29th departure still lists Yalta and Sevastopol. I suspect they are just holding on a bit longer to see if things change.

The British 'Foreign and Commonwealth Office' advise against all travel to the Ukraine, which means if Brits travel against that advice their travel insurance will be invalidated, (as I understand it). There is even a statement by the FCO saying that they cannot give consular support, so I assume the consular staff, (or at least most of them), have been withdrawn.

We are booked on a cruise for Oct which should call into two ports in Russia and four in the Ukraine (3 of those in Crimea), so we are watching closely. It is heartening that Odessa and Sochi have been retained by one or more companies who have omitted Crimea, but who knows what will happen by Oct.

• 3 weeks later...

Oceania has finally responded to the reality of the state of affairs in Ukraina and Russia and cancelled both Sevastapol and Yalta, adding an overnight in Constanta for our cruise departing May 29th from Istanbul.

Odessa is still on the agenda, but I am not too optimistic it will still be there by the time we embark given the way things are deteriorating over there.

Our itinerary on Voyager (of Voyages of Discovery) departing 8th Oct has now been changed on the company's internet site, but we are yet to be notified officially.

They have deleted the 3 ports in Crimea and added Batumi and Trabzon as well as a sea day between Sochi and Odessa. The best bit is that we are now docking in Odessa early morning instead of midday, but still leaving at midday the next day - hence a day and a half instead of 24 hours in Odessa, so we should be able to catch a performance at the opera house, yet still have time to 'do' the city. The two Russian ports remain. We only had one sea day in a 14 night cruise, so a second sea day as a break at that stage will be welcome in our itinerary.

Swan Hellenic (Voyages of Discovery's sister company), have also changed Minerva's itinerary departing 27th August. Yalta and Sevastopol have been deleted and Sochi and Novorossiysk, both in Russia, have been added.

Edited by tring

Our itinerary on Voyager (of Voyages of Discovery) departing 8th Oct has now been changed on the company's internet site, but we are yet to be notified officially.

They have deleted the 3 ports in Crimea and added Batumi and Trabzon as well as a sea day between Sochi and Odessa. The best bit is that we are now docking in Odessa early morning instead of midday, but still leaving at midday the next day - hence a day and a half instead of 24 hours in Odessa, so we should be able to catch a performance at the opera house, yet still have time to 'do' the city. The two Russian ports remain. We only had one sea day in a 14 night cruise, so a second sea day as a break at that stage will be welcome in our itinerary.

Swan Hellenic (Voyages of Discovery's sister company), have also changed Minerva's itinerary departing 27th August. Yalta and Sevastopol have been deleted and Sochi and Novorossiysk, both in Russia, have been added.

I am really surprised that they still have Odessa on the itinerary. I don't want to be negative, but don't be surprised if it is deleted and replaced with something else. things don't seem to be getting any better unfortunately.

Our October Princess itinerary hasn't changed yet. It's still showing Yalta and Odessa. I hope they come to a final decision sooner than later.

Based on the availability showing on their website for this cruise there have obviously been a lot of cancellations. I would think it would be in everybody's best interest, both from a piece of mind and business perspective, to modify the itinerary now.

I pity the people who had Sinop replace Sevastopol. What a bad Turkish port Sinop is. I hope you are lucky to go the Nessebur since that was the highlite of my Black Sea cruise. if you dock at the nearby Bulgarian city,mNessebur is a easy one hour cheap bus trip so you don't need to pay a ship tour price.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I pity the people who had Sinop replace Sevastopol. What a bad Turkish port Sinop is. I hope you are lucky to go the Nessebur since that was the highlite of my Black Sea cruise. if you dock at the nearby Bulgarian city,mNessebur is a easy one hour cheap bus trip so you don't need to pay a ship tour price.

Wow - this is a bit disconcerting - what is wrong with Sinop? It sounded like a nice diy port? Our cruise is very port intensive and we have a lot of tours already. I thought this would be a nice break? Don't get me wrong - Sevestapol was a nice port that we were looking forward to - but....what will be will be and there isn't much choice.

What's wrong with Sinop please?????

We have now been notified officially of the changes to our cruise that I mentioned in #10 above.

We were not that happy about going ahead with it - despite the extra time in Odessa which appealed momentarily. We were given the option of changing to another cruise or cancelling with a refund of our deposit. We went for the cancellation, as it would still be uncertain if the other original ports of Odessa, and Sochi and Novorossiysk in Russia would still go ahead and the cruise is more expensive than other 'run of the mill' itineraries.

This is quite a different itinerary to what is usually offered and if all 6 of those ports are eventually axed, then people would have a right to cancel with refund, (even according to the T&C's of the company which give a right to cancel if the majority of the ports are cancelled). The company would have more trouble rebooking passengers on the cruise later on, than they will at this stage, so it makes sound financial sense. It also gives much more customer satisfaction and means that we, (and I am sure others), are much more likely to book with the company again.

We would still like to go to the Black Sea at some stage but feel that an itinerary like that is highly unlikely to be repeated for a good number or years, (even if things do settle down), which is why we initially considered going ahead with this cruise.

There are so many countries that are becoming off limits, or that holiday/cruise companies will not risk going to now, which seems a great shame.

Sinop is a nothing special port though not dreadful like Constanta. Great baklava and the model ship stores are incredible but not much else worth seeing.

Thanks - my research was showing it to be a nice port - ie. relaxing and pretty.

thought it would be diy and we will make the best of it

Looks like Odessa is set to be pulled as well.

The British Foreign and Commonwealth office are now advising against all but essential travel to 'Odessa City'. If there is clear advice against all travel to an area, then British travel insurance tends to be nullified. Not sure what effect, 'advise against all but essential travel', has but I would not see any cruiselines going there whilst the situation is as stated.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ukraine

Silver Wind was in Odessa yesterday and there is an interesting report regards that on the Silversea cruises section of this site.

So sad for the residents of the area as well as tourists.

Princess finally announced the inevitable change to our October itinerary yesterday.

They dropped Yalta and Odessa and added Santorini and Kusadasi (for Ephesus).

I like the changes, although they make the cruise considerably less "Black Sea". ;) Our Black Sea ports now are just Constanta and Nessebar. I suppose you might also consider Istanbul in the list, but not really. :)

We've wanted to go the Santorini for quite some time and although we've been to Ephesus we loved it and are eager to go back.

A number of people are doing our cruise as part of a B2B and are not happy since the second leg of their cruise is already going to Santorini and Kusadasi.

We were most likely the first and last ship of the season in Odessa. We were actually there when the 46 people were killed. I wasn't near it personally but several fellow passengers were. And they were scared to death. The US State Department had issue a Ukrainian travel warning but SilverSea ignored and potentially placed hundreds at risk.

For Constanta, the dock is good piece from the city center and deeply embedded in the shipyard. There is NOTHING to do for over 1/2 mile, and I mean nothing. The city center(old) is still quite run down with derelict buildings, but still worth seeing. We saw the Ethnography Museum and it was quite interesting. Oddly everything downstairs is in Romanian, while up is Romanian and English. We then drove along the coast past Marmai(sp) the resort area. Lots of old commie hotels mixed with some new ones, and then on to Histria. I highly recommend it. At least then back on smooth roads. There were several people on our ship that were either robbed or approached by the "secret police" for an attempted robbery, so be very careful.

We were looking so forward to Nesebar, however most larger ships must tender there and the weather was too rough, so keep in mind that is a possibility,

Best of luck on your cruise.

Thanks - my research was showing it to be a nice port - ie. relaxing and pretty.

thought it would be diy and we will make the best of it

Sinop is easily DIY. We were there on April 27. Walk off the ship and to the right past lots of restaurants, then turn left and up the hill. Tak a right and go to the Ethnography Museum, actually belonging to a wealthy family and is set up like they lived. Then over to the Archeology Museum. It is very well done and most things are also in English. Be sure and stroll thur the yard also. Then back down to the main shopping street. Take a right and go about 100 meters and there is a great mosque. Remember women must cover heads and advise against sleeveless tops/dresses. Continue onward about another 250 m and there is the old prison. Just walk around. It is amazing and dates way back.

On your way back to the ship, where the gates are to go to the ship, continue straight and slightly right and that is where the wooden ship shops are located. I wasn't overly impressed with the workmanship, but then again we did not go inside either. There are also lots of shops and restaurants along that area.

We were most likely the first and last ship of the season in Odessa. We were actually there when the 46 people were killed. I wasn't near it personally but several fellow passengers were. And they were scared to death. The US State Department had issue a Ukrainian travel warning but SilverSea ignored and potentially placed hundreds at risk.

For Constanta, the dock is good piece from the city center and deeply embedded in the shipyard. There is NOTHING to do for over 1/2 mile, and I mean nothing. The city center(old) is still quite run down with derelict buildings, but still worth seeing. We saw the Ethnography Museum and it was quite interesting. Oddly everything downstairs is in Romanian, while up is Romanian and English. We then drove along the coast past Marmai(sp) the resort area. Lots of old commie hotels mixed with some new ones, and then on to Histria. I highly recommend it. At least then back on smooth roads. There were several people on our ship that were either robbed or approached by the "secret police" for an attempted robbery, so be very careful.

We were looking so forward to Nesebar, however most larger ships must tender there and the weather was too rough, so keep in mind that is a possibility,

Best of luck on your cruise.

I've been trying to find info on Constanta and this is very helpful. thank you. So, it sounds like this is not a diy port? Did you use a private tour company (and if you did, could you kind share?), a taxi or a ship's tour please? there are a lot of negative reviews on this port and now I see why. Thank you very much for the insight and any guidance you can give.

Sinop is easily DIY. We were there on April 27. Walk off the ship and to the right past lots of restaurants, then turn left and up the hill. Tak a right and go to the Ethnography Museum, actually belonging to a wealthy family and is set up like they lived. Then over to the Archeology Museum. It is very well done and most things are also in English. Be sure and stroll thur the yard also. Then back down to the main shopping street. Take a right and go about 100 meters and there is a great mosque. Remember women must cover heads and advise against sleeveless tops/dresses. Continue onward about another 250 m and there is the old prison. Just walk around. It is amazing and dates way back.

On your way back to the ship, where the gates are to go to the ship, continue straight and slightly right and that is where the wooden ship shops are located. I wasn't overly impressed with the workmanship, but then again we did not go inside either. There are also lots of shops and restaurants along that area.

Great posts and really informative - thank you so much for taking the time to help those of us in the itinerary changes:D