Help with air itinerary US to Asia

M5M

We're about to book for a cruise in the fall, need to fly DFW or IAH to Tokyo (either airport, I guess), and then return from Singapore.

Looking for suggestions as to carrier and route, especially the return part from Singapore, as I don't know carriers and routes there. Sometimes we add a stop at a city for a few days...it could be anywhere a carrier has good connections. For example, a few years ago we returned from Russia, stopping for a week in Amsterdam. What could be a good stopover from Singapore? What carriers work that geography? Thanks

We have flown into Seoul, Hong Kong and Singapore from IAH in the last three years.

We typically go through Tokyo, but our trip last month to Singapore we chose to go through AMS because we could get one leg (IAH-AMS) in business class using miles. If you're using miles, getting from IAH to NRT in business is very difficult.

We changed airlines from UA to Singapore Air in AMS (coach) and were NOT particularly overwhelmed with the Singapore Airlines experience as most others are. They give you a 5* menu and the food is 2* at best. Nice touch, with damp wash cloth twice during the flight (13 hours-ish), but they NEVER completely darkened the cabin so I was grateful for my eye mask.

Also, make sure you check layover times in Tokyo, as we are looking at flying from IAH-Bangkok in the fall, and a couple itineraries have a 45 minute layover at NRT which is not adequate (in my opinion). Everyone exiting a flight must go through a security line at NRT before boarding their connection, and 45 minutes would make me a basket case!

Hope this helps. We don't usually add any stopovers coming home. If I can help in any other way, let me know!

Susan

We're about to book for a cruise in the fall, need to fly DFW or IAH to Tokyo (either airport, I guess), and then return from Singapore.

Looking for suggestions as to carrier and route, especially the return part from Singapore, as I don't know carriers and routes there. Sometimes we add a stop at a city for a few days...it could be anywhere a carrier has good connections. For example, a few years ago we returned from Russia, stopping for a week in Amsterdam. What could be a good stopover from Singapore? What carriers work that geography? Thanks

Like the other poster said, I'd just do bunch of searches and combinations on Orbitz for starters. You'll quickly see which airlines are showing up frequently with the best fares on those routes.

I did a few sample lookups in October. Found that some days in Shanghai (PVG) on the way back actually lowered the total airfare a little. But of course it all depends on the days you pick.

Take a look at the Middle Eastern airlines. Check through this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1963211

There are some simply spectacular fares to the Middle East and flying from Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Bahrain to Asia, even if you have to get another ticket on a separate ticket, is usually a pretty cheap proposition.

Use ITA to look at all the combinations that are NOT Delta, AA, UA or US.

And then come back and post your dates and departure airports/arrival airports and we will try to help.

Thinking OUT OF the BOX very often results in a very good fare. And check out Gardyloo's posts on how to buy AA miles to upgrade one of those AA cheapo fares. A combination of credit card bonuses and some purchased AA miles (plus co-pay) would most likely get you enough miles to upgrade a couple of low fare economy class tickets to business class if there was space available at quite a saving.

Another thing is to check into a RTW (round the world) ticket. Sometimes a VERY great bargain, particularly if you want to fly business or first. Since search isn't working, I can't point you to the correct thread but Gardyloo also wrote a very eloquent post about using RTW tickets and saving a LOT of money, particularly if you are flying to exotic destinations.

If I find it, I will add it to this thread. And be VERY careful using Kayak anymore. They are signing on more and more vendors that sell consolidator tickets where you rarely know what you are purchasing until after you have purchased. Caveat Emptor.

Edited by greatam

• 2 weeks later...
Take a look at the Middle Eastern airlines. Check through this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1963211

There are some simply spectacular fares to the Middle East and flying from Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Bahrain to Asia, even if you have to get another ticket on a separate ticket, is usually a pretty cheap proposition.

Use ITA to look at all the combinations that are NOT Delta, AA, UA or US.

And then come back and post your dates and departure airports/arrival airports and we will try to help.

Thinking OUT OF the BOX very often results in a very good fare. And check out Gardyloo's posts on how to buy AA miles to upgrade one of those AA cheapo fares. A combination of credit card bonuses and some purchased AA miles (plus co-pay) would most likely get you enough miles to upgrade a couple of low fare economy class tickets to business class if there was space available at quite a saving.

Another thing is to check into a RTW (round the world) ticket. Sometimes a VERY great bargain, particularly if you want to fly business or first. Since search isn't working, I can't point you to the correct thread but Gardyloo also wrote a very eloquent post about using RTW tickets and saving a LOT of money, particularly if you are flying to exotic destinations.

If I find it, I will add it to this thread. And be VERY careful using Kayak anymore. They are signing on more and more vendors that sell consolidator tickets where you rarely know what you are purchasing until after you have purchased. Caveat Emptor.

Thanks to all who posted help. Ultimately I booked DFW-Tokyo and Sing-DFW. Although it's economy class, the times are the shortest and great schedule. I had to choose between $5200 business or $ 1360 for economy...

ANYWAY... What is. ITA. .?

Any help on cheaper airlines flying from California(any city) to Singapore in Business class? or flying close to Singapore in Business class and then coach from that city to Singapore.

I have looked briefly and all seem expensive.

We just booked a cruise in Dec. on Celebrity and after checking airfares decided to go with their air. It's called Choice Air and I didn't think it was outrageously expensive. It's on Cathay Airlines, which is, I think Singapore's Airlines.

You can email me at joshienana@hotmail.com

Arleen

We just booked a cruise in Dec. on Celebrity and after checking airfares decided to go with their air. It's called Choice Air and I didn't think it was outrageously expensive. It's on Cathay Airlines, which is, I think Singapore's Airlines.

Arleen

Close. Cathay Pacific is actually based in Hong Kong, not Singapore.

Singapore Airlines is the one based in Singapore.

American will begin nonstop service on June 11 from DFW to Hong Kong. They partner with Cathay Pacific and Malaysia Airlines(hmm not sure I would want that airline) to other southeast Asia destinations. Perhaps that will help you?

Arleen

Just be aware that your Choice Air tickets, particularly if you purchased the cheapest, are generally NOT the same tickets as you would purchase directly from the airline. These are what RCCL calls their "specially negotiated fares" (lawyer weasel words for consolidator tickets).

Very often, there are some severe restrictions with Choice Air tickets-non endorsable (CANNOT be used on another airline) and non-reroutable (meaning if you are flying PHX/JFK/HKG) you absolutely MUST fly that routing even if the PHX/JFK flight will get in too late to connect to the HKG flight but there is a PHX/ORD/JFK or PHX/DFW/JFK or PHX/ATL/JFK flight that will get you to your overseas flight on time. You are restricted from taking that alternative routing). Choice Air DOES NOT publish the entire fare rules for the cheapest tickets, so you really have no idea what you purchased.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are many ways to get airline direct tickets at about the same price as Choice Air tickets. You just need to think out of the box and forget about AA/UA/DL. As I posted previously, the Middle Eastern airlines went on a huge airplane buying spree at the Paris air show and they are offering some simply spectacular fares to the Middle East. Connections out of the Middle East to Asia are some of the easiest and best connections you can make worldwide if you have to connect to fly to Asia. And the Middle Eastern airlines have superior planes and superior service compared to US airlines. The first full suites with showers were on Emirates. Other Middle Eastern airlines have upped the bar due to national pride and a LOT OF MONEY floating around the Middle East.

LOTS of info about Choice Air in the Cruise Air forum.

• 1 month later...

Be aware that some airlines are not listed in ITA matrix. Don't know why but they are not. ITA is still my go to! You can have the matrix listed in time bars. This helps you visualize very quickly the cost. the layover points and how long. the stops and the total time. A trick that I just learned was to print the travel agent instruction page with the cost -- you begin to get confused about the 20th combination you put in.

My latest obsession is Washington DC to Bali (really Yogykarta (JOG) or Jakarta and back from Osaka or Tokyo. Against all logic the roundtrip Washington or LAX to Tokyo is the most expensive and the longest trip Washington to Jakarta is the lesser expensive by almost $900 pp AND you travel the Washington Tokyo leg on the same flight. Now looking for flight that gives me a LONG layover so can leave airport and go to hotel without incurring stopover upcharge. ITA is the best tool for doing this. You do not buy from ITA --buy from the airline is my choice -- less to deal with if something goes wrong.

Be aware that some airlines are not listed in ITA matrix. Don't know why but they are not. ITA is still my go to! You can have the matrix listed in time bars. This helps you visualize very quickly the cost. the layover points and how long. the stops and the total time. A trick that I just learned was to print the travel agent instruction page with the cost -- you begin to get confused about the 20th combination you put in.

My latest obsession is Washington DC to Bali (really Yogykarta (JOG) or Jakarta and back from Osaka or Tokyo. Against all logic the roundtrip Washington or LAX to Tokyo is the most expensive and the longest trip Washington to Jakarta is the lesser expensive by almost $900 pp AND you travel the Washington Tokyo leg on the same flight. Now looking for flight that gives me a LONG layover so can leave airport and go to hotel without incurring stopover upcharge. ITA is the best tool for doing this. You do not buy from ITA --buy from the airline is my choice -- less to deal with if something goes wrong.

I've only recently discovered ITA. I love it's search capabilities. They have the most sensible criteria I've found and present it the best.

The problem, as you said, is you can't book through them. And I often don't find the same fares when I go elsewhere to book them. Close, but not quite the same.

Most of the time I end up booking through Orbitz. I've booked 6 or 7 international fares in the last few years and they've been the cheapest every time.

My latest obsession is Washington DC to Bali (really Yogykarta (JOG) or Jakarta and back from Osaka or Tokyo. ... Now looking for flight that gives me a LONG layover so can leave airport and go to hotel without incurring stopover upcharge.
OT for this thread, but two things:-
  1. Do you mean JOG for Bali? DPS is the main airport on Bali.
  2. Yes, I have seen flights that don't trigger the $100 stopover charge, but if you tell us (on the other thread) the dates you're looking for, we can tell you what those flights are.

Of course, resolving the latter query is made very easy by ITA. It's the most powerful (published) air fare search engine that I've ever used.

Thanks for the information Globalizer. You influence me so well because you always give me the things to think about to solve my problem. You are teaching me well:)

I know that DPS is Bali and that is where I must be on 2/17/15 for my cruise. I have done many combinations and find that you can enter Asia sector pretty much ICN, NRT, and somewhat Singapor, Hong Kong or others on national airlines. For me Dulles 1st choice, LAX 2nd and NYC 3rd choice for start, then find cheapest fares to Jakarta more expensive to DPS and both these airports have one hour or less flight to JOG (Yogyakarta) where they so inconveniently placed the most marvelous sights we just have to see! We always look for the just right layover but this time we are looking for (and have found a couple of flights) that give just about 23 hours of layover -- nice break for stiff old body.

Is there a "sweet time" to buy tickets to Asia for Feb? Seems to me lots of deals for June (last minute fares) which I won't wait for but it seems too early in May -- Watching and waiting. Come on sales for 2015.

About to try for biz class award seats via our USAir or our AA points--from PHX to KIX (Osaka) for our HAL cruise next April (one-way, as the cruise is trans-Pacific to Vancouver)--and do love ITA for ideas (thanks to Greatam, who first advised me about it :) )--but finding that we have very limited choices since the merger (no longer have Star Alliance--only One World).... Not sure I could do such long flights on Hawaiian Air with no real leg rests.

Also debating whether to break the trip in Honolulu for a night or two--or just get it over with a quick connection there--or with Cathay to Hong Kong--or JAL--or--??

Greatly appreciate any advice, as we've not flown this route, though we have done China and OZ/NZ.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

Edited by DrFUN

Just wanted to add that Cathay Pacific, which is in fact based in Hong Kong, has an excellent Premium Economy service for the big flights over the Pacific. We did this from OHare in Feb/March and we were very pleased. It costs something in the range of double an economy fare but it was worth every penny. Their hub is HK, so most flights connect thru there.

Just wanted to add that Cathay Pacific, which is in fact based in Hong Kong, has an excellent Premium Economy service for the big flights over the Pacific. We did this from OHare in Feb/March and we were very pleased. It costs something in the range of double an economy fare but it was worth every penny. Their hub is HK, so most flights connect thru there.

THANKS, dear Wendy!

I'll look into that.

Did P/E have leg rests that allowed you to elevate your legs (which is one of my primary concerns)...?

And was the connection in HK smooth?

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Update: Got a great deal using American Airlines points--PHX-LAX/LAX-NRT, a little earlier than we'd planned to go, but we grabbed it! Best part was the seeming bad news that they couldn't get us on the last leg to Osaka, so we decided to spend 5 nights in Tokyo (Hilton points) and then an easy one-hour flight to Osaka for 8 nights (St. Regis points) before boarding so we can truly see a good deal of that part of beautiful Japan. :D

Thanks for the great advice. These boards are the best!

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

Update: Got a great deal using American Airlines points--PHX-LAX/LAX-NRT, a little earlier than we'd planned to go, but we grabbed it! Best part was the seeming bad news that they couldn't get us on the last leg to Osaka, so we decided to spend 5 nights in Tokyo (Hilton points) and then an easy one-hour flight to Osaka for 8 nights (St. Regis points) before boarding so we can truly see a good deal of that part of beautiful Japan. :D

Thanks for the great advice. These boards are the best!

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

That's great. We are still looking for Feb. 2015 Bali to Osaka. How did you book the KIX (Osaka) leg? One way as after a stopover and part of the PHX booking. Also if you are using a tour guide in Osaka, please let us know what you are doing. Your 2 weeks before your cruise are going to be fabulous.

That's great. We are still looking for Feb. 2015 Bali to Osaka. How did you book the KIX (Osaka) leg? One way as after a stopover and part of the PHX booking. Also if you are using a tour guide in Osaka, please let us know what you are doing. Your 2 weeks before your cruise are going to be fabulous.

AIR: Osaka was our original destination (for several nights pre-cruise from Kobe), so when AA couldn't get us all the way on the first open day we were going to try for the next day...but then decided to keep the two legs (without the third) and spend time in Tokyo. For Tokyo to Osaka we'll just book a separate one-way via points or pay, as the fare for the one-hour flight is reasonable. And we'll fly into Itami (Osaka International), as it's much closer to the center.

GUIDES: Haven't looked yet, but will research it now that we have our confirmed dates. Please feel free to email me so we can keep each other posted if we learn anything. And we can check and report on the ports forum.

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

Hey instead of flying from Tokyo to Osaka why not do the bullet train? Not that expensive I've been told and you get to look at Mt. Fuji on the way. This is something DH really wants to do so that is another experience plus added.

One factor for us -- paying not points -- is that for crazy reasons it is much cheaper to not fly in and out of Tokyo. We need to go to Jakarta with a short hop to Yogyakarta for some UNESCO sights then 1/2 hour flight to Bali to join the cruise. roundtrip to Tokyo comes in about $2000 and the continuing flight to Jakarta comes in about $1,300 with return from Osaka or Tokyo. I found a great flight this morning on United IAD to SFO (stopover) next day SFO to Hong Kong (14 hour layover so can rest in a hotel) next day HKG to Jakarta to Yogyakarta with 2 hour layover. $1,400. Return is non-stop NRT to Washington, DC. That non-stop is so attractive I think it is going to be a deciding factor!