A new angle on tipping

bill_posters_is_innocent

I Know that there have been many threads about tipping but I am curious about the following scenario.

For simplicity I will try to keep the figures very basic.

If a cabin steward has 10 cabins each with 2 passengers and the auto tip was $10 per/day per/passenger that would = $200 per day.

Imagine it is a 10 day cruise, this would make a total of $2000.

Now Imagine that 4 passengers removed the auto tip.

That would = $40 per/day, $400 for the 10 days, reducing the overall

auto tips to $1600.

At the end of the cruise all 20 passengers present the cabin steward with

envelopes containing $20 which is a total of $400.

Would the cabin steward be able to keep any of the $400 or would it all be taken by Cunard to make up the shortfall in the auto tips ??

If the above is true it would mean it is pointless to give extra tips as the money would be used by Cunard to make up the shortfall in auto tips and

it would also mean the generosity of those leaving the auto tips in place and also giving a little extra is merely subsidising those who remove the auto tips.

Sorry if the above is a little long winded but I want to ensure everyone knows exactly what I'm asking.:cool:

I would assume that the passengers that removed the auto tip would not only tip the cabin steward but also the other crew members that serviced him during the cruise. Assuming he tipped enough crew sufficiently there wouldn't be a shortfall anyway.

If a cabin steward has 10 cabins each with 2 passengers.

:

Just a number for arguments sake I know, but a steward and his/her assistant has quite a few more than that to do each day.

You are so right about the pointlessness of the whole thing, with many paying nothing and the current record holder lavishing $50 like they are going off the market.

Everyone has their own theory about how the system works, who gets what and what happens if.

Shambles is the only way to describe it all. Add gratuities to the cruise price, everyone pays, everyone wins and we could forget about the subject which causes such a lot of discussion.

David.

I believe the "shortfall" is tracked on an individual cabin basis and not in aggregate.

If you keep the auto-tips in place and tip additionally the steward is able to keep the entire tip, regardless of what the other passengers under the steward's care have done. If you withhold auto-tip and tip in cash the cash tip is allocated among the tip pool.

I Know that there have been many threads about tipping but I am curious about the following scenario.

For simplicity I will try to keep the figures very basic.

If a cabin steward has 10 cabins each with 2 passengers and the auto tip was $10 per/day per/passenger that would = $200 per day.

Imagine it is a 10 day cruise, this would make a total of $2000.

Now Imagine that 4 passengers removed the auto tip.

That would = $40 per/day, $400 for the 10 days, reducing the overall

auto tips to $1600.

At the end of the cruise all 20 passengers present the cabin steward with

envelopes containing $20 which is a total of $400.

Would the cabin steward be able to keep any of the $400 or would it all be taken by Cunard to make up the shortfall in the auto tips ??

If the above is true it would mean it is pointless to give extra tips as the money would be used by Cunard to make up the shortfall in auto tips and

it would also mean the generosity of those leaving the auto tips in place and also giving a little extra is merely subsidising those who remove the auto tips.

Sorry if the above is a little long winded but I want to ensure everyone knows exactly what I'm asking.:cool:

My cabin steward told me that he got $3 per cabin per day based on double occupancy.

2000 passengers paying $11 per day = $22000. 1000 crew on board so if shared equally would be $22 per day each. Don't know if they all get a share. Bar staff earn separate tips so either should be taken out of the shared tips or bar tips should be added in to the main pot.

Has anyone ever asked Cunard what happens to the tips given both on auto tip and given in an envelope?

I wonder if they would actually state how it is calculated and collected and distributed?? It may be a trade secret, kept for only the highest levels of Cunard management.

I just can't see a cabin staff member or a wait staff member who gets a couple dollars for delivering tea to the cabin taking the two dollars and handing it to management. I may be wrong, I often do things wrong. But seriously, does a management staff stand there and call the wait staff member over as he arrives to their area and demand they empty their pockets of spare change to ensure they are not hording a dollar or two, or for you guys and gals across the pond a few Pounds/Euros or two??

Anyone work on board know? ??

I once asked my cabin steward. It is difficult to know if they tell the truth or if they want you to feel they are hard-done-by so you might tip more.

He told me a figure of $1.95 per day per passenger from auto tips.

I asked if it was correct that if I removed the auto tips and paid him, then he would have to hand it in. 'Yes, Ma'am.' He said that people who remove auto-tips often give an amount like $5 to him, so far less than he would get otherwise.

I asked if it was correct that if I had paid the auto tips, then anything else I gave him could be kept by him. 'Yes, Ma'am.'

I think that answers every part of your question, as long as my cabin steward was being truthful with me.

Edited by fantasy51

That's strange because my steward(on more than one occasion) told me that they keep the personal tips regardless of the auto one being removed. Also we were told that at the desk more than once. So the upshot is I don't know what to believe....but just try to do what we believe is fair.

I do know that when we tipped our steward on our last cruise he brought out his wallet in which to put the tip and it was absolutely bursting with notes and I mean bursting. what happened to all the notes I have no idea but he had certainly done well. The next morning (the last day) he asked us to leave the cabin at 7 insisting he had to come in then and started changing the bed etc whilst dodging around us. When asked if he could leave it for a few minutes until we were fully ready he insisted he couldn't. I regretted giving him such a large tip the evening before as he proved to be quite problematic in the end.

The next morning (the last day) he asked us to leave the cabin at 7 insisting he had to come in then and started changing the bed etc whilst dodging around us. When asked if he could leave it for a few minutes until we were fully ready he insisted he couldn't. I regretted giving him such a large tip the evening before as he proved to be quite problematic in the end.

Your steward was definitely in the wrong as it states in your direction sheet that you have to be out by 8.30. Like you, I would have regretted giving that tip! I think I might also have suggested that we take the issue up with his supervisor. (Actually, none of my stewards would dream of doing that to me as they'd know I wouldn't be awake in time. I met one ex-steward in the corridor on my last cruise who said 'I remember you; you like to get up late.')

If I go to breakfast early (with time to get back before 8.30), I tell my steward what I am doing and give him permission to make the bed but I tell him that I will need the bathroom. I have never had any problems.

I know that from the time I leave that room for breakfast, it's no longer mine, even if my belongings are there and I'll be returning to clean my teeth. I take all my valuables with me at that point.

Has anyone ever asked Cunard what happens to the tips given both on auto tip and given in an envelope?

I wonder if they would actually state how it is calculated and collected and distributed?? It may be a trade secret, kept for only the highest levels of Cunard management.

I just can't see a cabin staff member or a wait staff member who gets a couple dollars for delivering tea to the cabin taking the two dollars and handing it to management. I may be wrong, I often do things wrong. But seriously, does a management staff stand there and call the wait staff member over as he arrives to their area and demand they empty their pockets of spare change to ensure they are not hording a dollar or two, or for you guys and gals across the pond a few Pounds/Euros or two??

Anyone work on board know? ??

I can only speak for Cunard , so may I politely 'put to bed this myth' about Tipping and the Hotel & Dinning Charges.

Stateroom stewards/ss and restaurant waiters receive only a percentage of the Hotel/dinning gratuities, a percentage is also allocated throughout the housekeeping department and others behind the scenes that guests don't often see.

Bar staff & Sommeliers are not included in the Hotel/Dinning charges, this is taken care of from the additional 15% that you and I pay.

NO crew member has to 'hand in/Pool' any 'cash tip' received from the guest, however 'Bar crew & sommeliers' may often agree (amongst them selves) to pool tips if they work together as a team throughout a voyage.

NO crew ! member receives information ( via a list circulated) of any guest who has or who has not removed the Hotel/Dinning charges. This is confidential information and is reserved for the Hotel Manager, Chief Purser, Purser Guest Services and the senior Maitre"D .

As I've said above, my understanding is what happens on Cunard Line.

How do I know all this ?

Who says so ?

My partner works for the company and also a family member :)

NO crew member has to 'hand in/Pool' any 'cash tip' received from the guest, however 'Bar crew & sommeliers' may often agree (amongst them selves) to pool tips if they work together as a team throughout a voyage.

NO crew ! member receives information ( via a list circulated) of any guest who has or who has not removed the Hotel/Dinning charges. This is confidential information and is reserved for the Hotel Manager, Chief Purser, Purser Guest Services and the senior Maitre"D .

This is certainly the way I would like it to work - and the explanation that makes the most sense.

An additional question if I may, Bell Boy.

If one adds a tip to a bar or dining charge (Todd English for example) against the ship card (ie not cash) - do those tips get pooled or go to the individual? The waiter's name is clearly on the receipt.

Edited by mariposa777

I had thought for the longest time on Cunard tipping was optional like other European vendors. Everyone would get a high salary enough to cover basics and then on top of that one can tip if they received exceptional service.

I wonder if Europeans remove Auto Tip and just assume its part of the cruise fare and that Cunard pays their staff well.

Well Americans are so used to tipping(but I personally don't like giving tips but do so as its expected especially since it should be part of their job and companies should pay their staff more). What I don't get is people pre-paying their tips on cruises and then get shoddy service.

I think the whole mentality of tip if you want prompt service is outdated.

In Europe they add VAT or Service Charge and everything is included. But when you go to an airline lounge there is no tip jar let alone someone looking at you for not tipping.

I will leave an extra 5 Euros or round up the cab fare if it was good. Americans are so obsessed with tips to the point of feeling guilty for not tipping.

Here is my approach remove the auto tip and decide whom and when to tip. Why should I be forced to tip someone who does not even help me? Why should I tip a slow waiter to a busser who forgets to bus my table?

At a restaurant I go to the busser barely gets around to cleaning the tables frequently. I end up having to clear the table. It really is unfair that I'm a regular customer and the tables are not clean after speaking to the manager. Perhaps I should not frequent that particular restaurant.

Then it goes without saying that when traveling I should decide who gets my tip.

Just my 2 cents and I know that other people will have their opinions. Its not that I'm trying to get out of tipping its just that I'm a discerning traveler who wont throw away money for poor service.

This is certainly the way I would like it to work - and the explanation that makes the most sense.

An additional question if I may, Bell Boy.

If one adds a tip to a bar or dining charge (Todd English for example) against the ship card (ie not cash) - do those tips get pooled or go to the individual? The waiter's name is clearly on the receipt.

As I understand it mariposa, an additional tip (for bar a waiter) added against ones ship card will go into the pool (along with the 15%)

It's in the best interest of the "senior bar tender' to ensure all his/her bar waiters (out on the floor so to speak) work' together as one team' ..in other words, the more they sell, the more they will make at the end of the voyage.

As a guest one may have noticed that occasionally on some longer voyages/cruises , Bar crew members have to rotate, (to another bar or public room ) this often happens because some Bars/public rooms are more popular than others .

I'm not too sure what happens when you add a tip (in Todd English) to your ships card, however, as I understand it, the $10 (per person) charged to the ships card for dining in the Kings court/Lido (evening alternative dining) is considered as a gratuity ( and not for the food) therefore it takes care of those crew members who happen to be on rotation in that area.:)

I had thought for the longest time on Cunard tipping was optional like other European vendors. Everyone would get a high salary enough to cover basics and then on top of that one can tip if they received exceptional service.

I wonder if Europeans remove Auto Tip and just assume its part of the cruise fare and that Cunard pays their staff well.

Well Americans are so used to tipping(but I personally don't like giving tips but do so as its expected especially since it should be part of their job and companies should pay their staff more). What I don't get is people pre-paying their tips on cruises and then get shoddy service.

I think the whole mentality of tip if you want prompt service is outdated.

In Europe they add VAT or Service Charge and everything is included. But when you go to an airline lounge there is no tip jar let alone someone looking at you for not tipping.

I will leave an extra 5 Euros or round up the cab fare if it was good. Americans are so obsessed with tips to the point of feeling guilty for not tipping.

Here is my approach remove the auto tip and decide whom and when to tip. Why should I be forced to tip someone who does not even help me? Why should I tip a slow waiter to a busser who forgets to bus my table?

At a restaurant I go to the busser barely gets around to cleaning the tables frequently. I end up having to clear the table. It really is unfair that I'm a regular customer and the tables are not clean after speaking to the manager. Perhaps I should not frequent that particular restaurant.

Then it goes without saying that when traveling I should decide who gets my tip.

Just my 2 cents and I know that other people will have their opinions. Its not that I'm trying to get out of tipping its just that I'm a discerning traveler who wont throw away money for poor service.

As one who never removes the auto service charge [ because that's what automatic grats really are] I also give small remunerations, discreetly.

My extra tips can be kept by that member of staff as my auto grats are on my account. Yours, should you decide to remove auto grats, will be going into the pot and not to that particular staff member.

Just a thought.

I do hope you enjoy your Cunard voyage and the service you have is up to your high standard, whichever grats route you decide on.

My extra tips can be kept by that member of staff as my auto grats are on my account. Yours, should you decide to remove auto grats, will be going into the pot and not to that particular staff member.

Not so according to Bell Boy who claims to have inside information. His post, assuming what he says is correct blows most of the theories here and over so many threads over the years out of the water (no pun intended)

Me, who got substandard service in the MD on QE last month and left the auto tips on, so tipping poor service, will change tack on any future cruise.

I'll remove the auto gratuity at the start and tip accordingly for the service I get. That way the mostly excellent staff members will be rewarded and the few duds will get nothing.

That's the best way any passenger can go against the half information from Cunard and the conflicting answers from staff.

David.

Not so according to Bell Boy who claims to have inside information. His post, assuming what he says is correct blows most of the theories here and over so many threads over the years out of the water (no pun intended)

Me, who got substandard service in the MD on QE last month and left the auto tips on, so tipping poor service, will change tack on any future cruise.

I'll remove the auto gratuity at the start and tip accordingly for the service I get. That way the mostly excellent staff members will be rewarded and the few duds will get nothing.

That's the best way any passenger can go against the half information from Cunard and the conflicting answers from staff.

David.

I got my info from a butler so believe what you want.

Has no effect on us either way as we wouldn't dream of removing the service charge [auto grats]. We also tip personally too.

Each to their own beliefs, but I'll go with the direct conversation I had.

I got my info from a butler so believe what you want.

Has no effect on us either way as we wouldn't dream of removing the service charge [auto grats]. We also tip personally too.

Each to their own beliefs, but I'll go with the direct conversation I had.

Passengers report various conversations with staff but the end of the day, it's up to the individual to keep the auto tips on or not, irrespective of 'are the tips pooled if grats taken off' or not.

I prefer to think some of my grats will reach staff who are cogs in making my holiday a great one, but whom I never see. One can only hope!

That's the problem, I don't know what to believe.

David.

Nor do I David, nor do I really, so I'll go with my own gut feelings and as I said, hope my little contributions go to the invisible cogs in the machine as well as those I see.

I prefer to think some of my grats will reach staff who are cogs in making my holiday a great one, but whom I never see. One can only hope!

Me too all those who clean the public areas that allow most of us to not worry too much just how clean the common areas are and all the others we never see