Non-alcoholic beer selection (lacking)

argys mom

I've read these threads until my eyes are bleeding, and if I've missed it I apologize, BUT I want to complain about the lack of choice of non-alcoholic beer. Now, it's for my husband, and he doesn't care what package or what cost--but drinking O 'Douls is a punishment. We have been through this on recent cruises, and he has talked to every officer up to the Captiain, but it seems to be a decision made in purchasing. We have a cruise coming up and I have been campaigning through the Captains Club, but I thought we'd try to make some noise here...

O'Douls was the first widely marketed non-alcoholic beer, but it is not the best. It is not Celebrity-style, it does not mirror the Celebrity brand. I/we would like to see Celebrity offer a premium alternative. After all, there are 50 beers offered, is one NA beer enough?

I've read these threads until my eyes are bleeding, and if I've missed it I apologize, BUT I want to complain about the lack of choice of non-alcoholic beer. Now, it's for my husband, and he doesn't care what package or what cost--but drinking O 'Douls is a punishment. We have been through this on recent cruises, and he has talked to every officer up to the Captiain, but it seems to be a decision made in purchasing. We have a cruise coming up and I have been campaigning through the Captains Club, but I thought we'd try to make some noise here...

O'Douls was the first widely marketed non-alcoholic beer, but it is not the best. It is not Celebrity-style, it does not mirror the Celebrity brand. I/we would like to see Celebrity offer a premium alternative. After all, there are 50 beers offered, is one NA beer enough?

Personally, I am not a beer drinker... And Mr Sloop only drinks "hightest" ;) preferring Craft Beers over mass produced.

But I get your point... And am willing to support it

I think that posting here is a good idea to get support for your cause

I would also suggest you NAME NAMES... Maybe making a suggestion of a more upscale Non-Alcohol Beer that you think might be more in line with "Celebrity Style" so as to help the Purchasing Types with ideas incase this post is seen by one of them (and post a photo too... As visuals always attract attention / help people retain info)

I am guessing that this post will be seen by CC Member CELEBRITY CRUISES - official rep who will tell you who to contact / take your suggestion further... And that can only be a good thing too

I wish you good luck with your post / campaign

Cheers!

His favorite NA is Sagres dark which he enjoyed in Portugal but hasn't found here in the US. St. Pauli Girl, followed by Buckler's, are his current preferences. He'd rather be thirsty than drink an O'Doul's.

With the conversion of Cellar Masters into Gastropubs, it would be wonderful if Celebrity added a variety of non-alcoholic beer choices to be enjoyed in that venue even if not available elsewhere aboard. Are you reading this thread, Celebrity Cruises?

No disrespect but I would suggest one is enough based on probable sales projections. It is no different than my favorite beer not being offered, but I deal with.

Also, IMHO, it's crazy to offer a gazillion different beers on board but they fell into the gimmick. Now beer snobs will disagree but I'm not one of them.

Have a Good Friday, R.

• Like 1

No disrespect but I would suggest one is enough based on probable sales projections. It is no different than my favorite beer not being offered, but I deal with.

Also, IMHO, it's crazy to offer a gazillion different beers on board but they fell into the gimmick. Now beer snobs will disagree but I'm not one of them.

Have a Good Friday, R.

I agree, in fact even 1 is too many, why take up valuable beer space with NA beer? :eek:

THANK YOU!!!! All these years I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I am a recovery alcoholic (30 years in recovery). I would love to try one of the over 50 beers available but by the end of the cruise all the passengers would be looking to throw me overboard!! (Only a recovering alcoholic would understand that!!). Non-alcoholic beers are becoming more popular and establishments usually charge the same as regular beer. Folks may not understand this but having a beer in your hand makes you feel part of the cruise scene, and also do taste great on a hot day. Celebrity has always carried non-alcoholic wine in the dining room and I'm sure gets less calls for them. (They are nothing like the real thing but serves the purpose for non-drinkers). Some European brewers make some very good non-alcoholic beers. Several times when at airports, etc., I've asked for a non-alcoholic beer. I can't count the times they said they were sold out, so they can't be that uncommon. I certainly respect those who can drink safely, but I've seen some cruisers who might consider non-alcoholic drinks at times. (but that's another issue, I'm not being judgmental)

• Like 2

Good for you. I contend the airport bars were sold out since they stock very few.

Back when I played golf for money, I would normally have to bring my own since the club carried the one I didn't like. When I gamble I don't drink-a Coke anyone? But when I'm not I give it run. I don't think a bar can carry too many or different varieties due to slow turnover. May be wrong but I was surprised to find out that they carried any at all.

Have a good evening, R

Thanks for all the replies/support. I am working on a list of alternative NA beers. (Great suggestion)I really do hope Celebrity will upgrade, and give the NA beer drinker a few good choices. A few years ago their NA beer was Buckler--DH was shocked when O'Douls became the only game in town! What is going on in Purchasing???

We have an upcoming cruise with my father, who only drinks NA beer. A better selection would be wonderful. Last cruise in the Mediterranean with him, they actually ran out of O'Douls and often times the bars didn't carry it and we had to look elsewhere.

I hope Celebrity fixes his soon. Maybe with a better selection I would feel better about the "premium package" up charge for NA beer!!

Some suggestions: beck NA, Labatt NA

Edited by Scarlet and grey

I never thought of having non-alcoholic beer on a cruise, and I have never heard of non-alcoholic wine. Please elaborate! I would love to try that in the dining rooms with dinner.

I am not an alcoholic, but cannot drink much of anything because of heart irregularities. I have had the non-alcoholic O'Doul's, and it tasted fine to me, but still gave me a buzz. My understanding is that O'Doul's and some other non-alcoholic beers do have a bit of alcohol in them.

Does anyone know if non-alcoholic beers and wine are included in the non-alcoholic Beverage Package?

Edited by Iamthesea

THANK YOU!!!! All these years I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I am a recovery alcoholic (30 years in recovery). I would love to try one of the over 50 beers available but by the end of the cruise all the passengers would be looking to throw me overboard!! (Only a recovering alcoholic would understand that!!). Non-alcoholic beers are becoming more popular and establishments usually charge the same as regular beer. Folks may not understand this but having a beer in your hand makes you feel part of the cruise scene, and also do taste great on a hot day. Celebrity has always carried non-alcoholic wine in the dining room and I'm sure gets less calls for them. (They are nothing like the real thing but serves the purpose for non-drinkers). Some European brewers make some very good non-alcoholic beers. Several times when at airports, etc., I've asked for a non-alcoholic beer. I can't count the times they said they were sold out, so they can't be that uncommon. I certainly respect those who can drink safely, but I've seen some cruisers who might consider non-alcoholic drinks at times. (but that's another issue, I'm not being judgmental)

Congrats on your 30+ years. I have over 33, and have never had a slip.

There are two problems for me with non-alcoholic beer. First, they contain alcohol-not much, but some. Second, I see some danger in equating having a beer in hand with being part of the "scene" or fantasizing about the great taste of a beer on a hot day. I usually cruise with others who are all drinkers and I never feel left out or thirsty with my diet Coke or tea. In fact, they would beat the crap out of me if they ever saw me with any kind of beer. I have often attributed my longevity to staying as far away from the edge of the cliff as I can. Please don't think I am trying to preach to you-my comments are out of concern.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby, :D:D Bob and Phyl

His favorite NA is Sagres dark which he enjoyed in Portugal but hasn't found here in the US. St. Pauli Girl, followed by Buckler's, are his current preferences. He'd rather be thirsty than drink an O'Doul's.

With the conversion of Cellar Masters into Gastropubs, it would be wonderful if Celebrity added a variety of non-alcoholic beer choices to be enjoyed in that venue even if not available elsewhere aboard. Are you reading this thread, Celebrity Cruises?

Sagres Dark NA ! - I'm from Portugal originally but never tried it. My fiancee and I both drink NA beer, we will be on a mission to find it and try it here in US. We are on Equinox in a few weeks and were looking forward to having Bucklers every day. If only ODouls is available that will be a disappointment. Kaliber StPauli and Becks NA are not bad but we prefer Bucklers. Sagres is exported to US so maybe the NA dark can be ordered. Sagres regular draft was readily available in Bermuda when we cruised there. Unfotunately another excellent Portuguese draft beer - Super Bock, is not available outside Europe.

My hubby is in the same situation, he recently found Coopers Ultra Light beer Birell and says it tastes exactly like beer, would be great to have some NA Beet available.:)

What does non-alcoholic BEET taste like. :D

According to this list posted from 2012, Buckler's is onboard.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1571274&highlight=classic+non-alcoholic+beverage+packages

I am still trying to figure out if I can get the non-alcoholic beer and wine with the non-alcoholic drink package. Although it would have to be the Premium Non-alcoholic Package, though. ;) According to the list posted above, it would seem so, but would like to hear from those that have actually had the package.

In 2012 Buckler was no longer available, just O'Douls. That was on our Equinox cruise in the Caribbean. At that time, O'Douls was covered under the classic alcoholic package, NOT the non-alcoholic package. As has been previously stated, NA beers sell for the same price as regular beer, therefor they fall under the alcoholic packages. Now, my DH would be glad to purchase whatever package (classic or premium) if it meant he could get a decent NA beer.

In fact, he offered to bring on his own supply, and let the bar sell it back to him! Celebrity refused.

His favorite is Labatts Blue NA, followed by Buckler, St. Pauli Girl, Kaliber, Becks NA, and Clausthaler. There are other NA beers brewed around the world, which will give Celebrity a lot of choice.

Congrats on your 30+ years. I have over 33, and have never had a slip.

There are two problems for me with non-alcoholic beer. First, they contain alcohol-not much, but some. Second, I see some danger in equating having a beer in hand with being part of the "scene" or fantasizing about the great taste of a beer on a hot day. I usually cruise with others who are all drinkers and I never feel left out or thirsty with my diet Coke or tea. In fact, they would beat the crap out of me if they ever saw me with any kind of beer. I have often attributed my longevity to staying as far away from the edge of the cliff as I can. Please don't think I am trying to preach to you-my comments are out of concern.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby, :D:D Bob and Phyl

Agree. Never undersdtood the draw of NA beer. But, I never drank "normal" anyway :)

What does non-alcoholic BEET taste like. :D

Blame it on the fat fingers! Read BEER, but then my beets are normally NA as well :)

Mix some yeast with them, and they won't be for long. :eek:

To the OP, it isn't surprising that cruise lines in general don't have a decent selection of NA beer/wine, as they have only recently realized that they should have a decent selection of alcoholic beer/wine. And for NA offerings, this is compounded by significantly smaller set of consumers and limited space onboard for all beverages.

My suggestion would be to send a note to the "concerns" email address with a list of more acceptable choices (make sure that at least one of them is equivalent in style to O'Douls, so it would at least be a direct replacement). Hopefully they will pass this up the chain to the people responsible for beverage selections on ships, and possibly by the time of your next cruise, the offerings have been updated.

It's really about having good choices on your vacation. No one would want to sail if there was only one entree offering at meals.

Now that Celebrity brags about 100's of wines, lots of beers, and a full selection of vodka, bourbon, rye, scotch, gin, rum, brandy, and cordials --we are hoping they will expand the NA beer selection. Celebrity, please offer something better than ODoul's!

Have a heart Pal, you have much to choose from, let others have a little choice as well.

Those who don't understand, try this...alcohol is not off limit to everyone, but it is to you. The rest of the passengers can choose anything they like, within reason, but you, have two choices at the party, have a children's drink, or the one NA beer that 90% of NA beer drinkers will not drink....That is what it is like to have O'Doul's as the one NA on Celebrity.

We chose Celebrity because we were told that they carried St.Pauli Girl as well as O'Doul's. Non Alcoholic Beer is my husband's beverage of choice, wine is mine. I can carry aboard two bottles of my choice, not so for him. I can order any number of quality wines aboard, he gets a Pepsi, maybe an iced tea...how festive.

I called Celebrity as we have a June cruise and I want to pre-purchase beverage packages. Q and A reveled that O'Doul's is the only option for the NA drinker. The Celebrity brand is supposed to be that of upscale dining, tell me, when we visit the Tuscan Grill, what fine soda will the waiter recommend to go with my husbands rare porterhouse steak?

Some suggestions to the celebrity personnel who's task it is to read and report on these posts...St. Pauli Girl by St Pauli, Buckler by Heineken, Coors Cutter by Coors, Erdinger by Erdinger Weissbräu. There you are Celebrity, I have even named a few manufacturers to help you to name names with your distributers when you step up to this task.