Villefranche port stop - WWYD?

WrittenOnYourHeart

My RCCL cruise stops at Villefranche on 7/2.

I currently have a ship excursion booked (no comments on that please - I am traveling solo, so private excursions are WAY out of my budget) that visits Nice and St. Paul-de-Vence. But I've been looking on TripAdvisor and wondering if I could have just as good an experience wandering around Villefranche on my own.

Is it easily navigable by foot?

Is dropping a tour to Nice and St. Paul-de-Vence in favor of exploring Villefranche on your own something YOU think would be worth doing?

Any comments or advice (other than the "book a private tour" thing - the cruise and gratuities and so forth are paid for, but I'm on a bit of a budget for the rest of it) is welcome!

Thanks!

Wandering around Villefranche is good, however, I would stick with the tour. The tour will fill your day and walking around Villefrache can be done in a couple of hours. We have been to Nice (on a RCCL ship tour from Villefranche) and this year are planning for St. Paul. Below, the first link are pictures from Villefrache and the second link pictures from Nice.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/564

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/626

You could also just get on the regional bus (like a normal city bus), pay your 1.5€ and be in Nice in about 10-15 min. Nice is a great city for walking and there is much to see and do. Both the public buses and Nice are quite safe...for even a solo woman.

You could also just get on the regional bus (like a normal city bus), pay your 1.5€ and be in Nice in about 10-15 min. Nice is a great city for walking and there is much to see and do. Both the public buses and Nice are quite safe...for even a solo woman.

That's a nice thought too! Is it fairly easy to find the regional bus?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's a nice thought too! Is it fairly easy to find the regional bus?

Google Tom's Port guides. You'll find a Villefranche guide. It will give you all the information on how to get from Villefranche to Nice by bus.

Agree with using Tom's Port guide since he gives decent directions. While Villefranche is a pretty small town, one can certainly get lost looking for the bus stop. On the other hand, you just need to stop and ask just about anyone...and most will point you in the right direction. If you do not speak French (we do not) then just using lousy French and asking "ou est la bus" or more properly "ou est l'arret de bus" (literally where is the bus stop) or if that is too difficult you could just say "Bon jour, where is the bus?"

Keep in mind that this is a huge tourist area and the locals are used to folks who do not speak French. Most are friendly and helpful...as long as you say the few magic words which are simply "Bon Jour" "Sil vous plait" and "Merci." We have traveled all over France (with a rental car) and those 3 phrases have done us well no matter where we happen to be within the country. Just keep in mind that when in the USA you might walk into a shop or restaurant without saying a word (which is fine) but in France....a simple "Bon Jour" (with a smile) will open a lot of doors.

We should have also mentioned that you can also take the regional train from Villefranche in either direction (west will quickly take you into Nice and east would get you to Monte Carlo in about 20 min. The small train station is an easy walk from the tender pier (although you do have to climb a lot of steps up to the platform)...but we have always favored the bus because it runs more often and just seems to be more friendly. And keep in mind you can also use that same train to easily go as far as Menton (towards the east) or places like Antibes and Cannes to the west. We do not know the current train fares....but the buses are cheaper (and very comfy). The trains are like commuter trains (you will even see locals come aboard with their bikes) with no reservations.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If you've never been to St Paul de Vence I would stick with the tour.

You may still have time to do a little bit of exploring around Villefranche after your tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Have taken the bus twice from Villefranche to Nice.

Lot cheaper on the budget. Get some nice views going and coming back.

Nice Market there, parks. love walking along the promenade by the sea.

Then walk around Villefranche when you come back.

Villefranche is nice to see if you just want to stay there,

spend your money on a nice lunch.

Both places have the Petite Train that drives you around town.

One in Nice takes you up to the Chateau get off walk around, great views

of Nice. Then take another train when your ready to leave.

If you've never been to St Paul de Vence I would stick with the tour.

You may still have time to do a little bit of exploring around Villefranche after your tour.

St. Paul de Vence is a very special place--Villefranche is nice but in my opinion does not compare to the tour.

St. Paul de Vence is a very special place--Villefranche is nice but in my opinion does not compare to the tour.

Second the opinion on St Paul. If they have a tour that also goes to Eze, I would choose it over Nice.

Villefranche was for us, to be honest, a bit of a let down compared with other Mediterranean ports; we also found it grossly overpriced - 2 Espresso Coffees plus the smallest glass of the roughest Brandy ever cost 16 Euros compared to 3 Euros here. BUT St Paul de Vence is spectacular and should not be missed.

Edited by campolady

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I see you haven't left yet so I will add my thoughts. Villefranche is charming. We enjoyed our day there very much. We did have a tour booked, but outside of that, we walked around and took many pictures (such pretty flowers and amazing architecture). My DH indulged me while I chose some gorgeous locally-made soaps. I wish I had bought more, they were amazing! So many fragrances to choose from. I can't recall the store we went into but I feel confident you will find it, or another one along the way.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I see you haven't left yet so I will add my thoughts. Villefranche is charming. We enjoyed our day there very much. We did have a tour booked, but outside of that, we walked around and took many pictures (such pretty flowers and amazing architecture). My DH indulged me while I chose some gorgeous locally-made soaps. I wish I had bought more, they were amazing! So many fragrances to choose from. I can't recall the store we went into but I feel confident you will find it, or another one along the way.

Pardon ?

Thanks everyone for their suggestions! I've printed out the relevant Tom's Port Guides and have studied them. Still haven't made up my mind yet - I have to go to the excursions desk when I board to cancel another excursion (don't have an account with the bank I did when I booked the tour any longer and don't want to go through that process of waiting and seeing if the bank sends me a check or RCCL does), so I may ask if I could cancel this tour for a refund as well (same deal with the bank)...it's iffy as it is on Day 2 of the cruise, so within the 24 hour cancellation period, but often that gets waived for Day 2 excursions.

Either way it sounds like I'll have lots of beautiful sights to see!

beth