Packing for 2 week New England/Canada Cruise

LeeLee

We just booked a two week cruise to New England/Canada on the Celebrity Summit for Sep 20. I have never cruised to New England. I am thinking that with it being later in Sept it may

be cooler. We are lucky enough to be driving to Bayonne so weight will not be a big issues, but I still don't want to take everything I own. I know I will need to layer, but I'm just curious as should I focus on long pants or capri pants, should I take a pair of shorts? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've never cruised New England/Canada but I've been up that way in the fall and it can be cool, especially on or near the water. I'd take long pants, not capris, and I'd take a pair of shorts for going to the gym or for other sports type activities. I'd also take a mix of short and long sleeve shirts, a sweater, and a light weight jacket.

I have done five Canada and New England cruises. The weather can be tricky. The coldest trip we did was in the first week of Aug. In St John N.B. It was raining and so very cold. I wore a sweatshirt, jacket with a hood, long pants. I just couldn't get warm. One of the warmest trips was when we left on 10/19. It was beautiful weather.

We are on this cruise also. For the day time I plan on packing much as I did for a summer Alaska cruise and land tour: jeans & light pants, light sweaters, fleece vest, rain jacket & pants, cotton tops with 3/4 sleeves. I'll check the weather the day I am packing and decide if I want to pack capris. I need some new sweat shirts so I'll probably buy one at one of the ports and can wear it if needed.

I grew up in Boston. You can have 90 degrees, bright sun, high humidity, rain, sleet, fog, high winds--all in a very few minutes. Indian Summer (redo of summer weather) usually comes around the end of September & is the perfect weather, mid 70s, blue skies, but it doesn't last long. Best clothing to bring is layers, a hooded waterproof jacket is a must

Thanks everyone. That helps. I have never been to to New England, and especially at that time of year had no idea what to expect. I knew I was going to have to layer, but was just not sure. I will be checking the weather up to the day before and try and plan accordingly. I will be doing the same thing as buying a sweatshirt or two in port...one can never have too many sweatshirts!

I just asked my husband what month we were in Newport, R.I.

and we

saw a Princess ship tendering.....

It was early fall.

What sticks in my mind was I was wearing a tank top.

We were bike riding, and I tend to be cold.

I just found the photo...it was October 2011.and you can see the tender line of people dressed lightly casual...

I would bring a light windbreaker that can be tossed in a tote...as being near shorelines can get quite windy...

Bernadette

338353_10150348035207480_175963277_o.jpg.65c63b4ea17e81ad4af18b5a4842d2b0.jpg

Edited by BratDet
add

I have sailed Canada/NE many times and love those ports.

You are right to plan for layers and should definitely have at least one or two pair long pants. If you want capri as well, you likely will have some days you can wear them. Fall in NE is very unpredictable but the mornings will be chilly, you well could have rain/fog and will want a water resistant and perhaps hooded jacket. Bring a hoodie or sweater to put beneath your jacket so you can wear it or not as desired.

I don't know your itinerary but hope it includes Halifax, Charlottetown, PEI and Quebec City, at least. :)

I live in Maine - do bring layers. Like everyone has stated the mornings and evenings will be cooler. I tend to put away my capris and shorts by the end of September. Light long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve will be fine for tops.

The fall foliage should be close to peak in the northern part of the state. It should be beautiful!

~Enjoy~

My last cruise was a 7 day around the same time. I wore capris for only one port day. Another day I was layered in a t-shirt, mid weight fleece, a waterproof windbreaker, and I was still cold and wishing I had a hat and gloves. And I'm never cold. lol

As some mentioned you'll want to really check the weather before about a week before you leave. I was planning to bring some shorts, and more light, early fall stuff, but at the last min I swapped out and went more for late fall weight stuff.

Giving myself the ability to layer was huge!

we went on a Canadian cruise in July and it was COLD. We left New York and it was upper 90's and I had a coat but was not prepared for St. John. I ended up buying mittens! Enjoy your cruise!

That happen to us too in Aug. in St John!

I live just over the bridge from Newport, R.I. and pretty much in this area other than a freak warm day we start getting cool fall weather in late August. I would not bother with capris unless you want them for hanging around the ship. 3/4 or long sleeve tee shirts, jeans, and khaki pants will work this time of year along with a mid weight jacket.

• 1 year later...

Packing is always an issue for me. In September I will be cruising and visiting the Atlantic side. I am looking forward to 3 days in NYC and then boarding the NCL Gem.

I want to pack light, though how sweet it would be if I could take my entire closet. I have some pants which convert into capris which I will be taking. Last year the East coast had such a heat wave during September...that would be nice to experience on my trip. I will keep tabs on the weather predictions.

My main concern is, do I bring any sandals along at all...I probably will....wishing again I could snap my fingers and my closet will appear before me in my cabin.