Immediate Change in TSA Carry-On Requirements

BurBunny

Effective at 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 4, the TSA will require travelers to remove the following items from their carry-on bags and submit them for separate screening: video games, video cameras, DVD players and CD players. They will now be treated like laptop computers. You'll have to remove them from your carry-on and run them separately through the X-ray machines.

Note, this is not supposed to mean all electronics, but I'd expect some screeners to take this a step further while they're all getting to understand the rules, especially since the early notices to the screeners said all electronics. For the next few days, you may want to minimize the amount of electronics you carry onto the plane.

You MAY still carry these items - you'll just need to separate them out from the rest of your carry ons when you go through security.

Wow. It's great that TSA is trying to protect us like that, I'm glad they do all this stuff, I just don't like doing it, I'm tired of it. You know what i mean, I mean, I like it, but i don't.

It may not be that bad:

"The focus is on large electronic equipment," not portable DVD players, cell phones or MP3 players, said Jennifer Peppin, the Transportation Security Administration's spokeswoman in Seattle.

Affected are consoles for Xbox and PlayStation video games, large video cameras and large living-room style DVD players, she said. "Obviously these types of devices can resemble components that could be used in explosives."

We have always been asked - especially at Chicago airports- if our camera bag contained a video camera (it was a Kodak Easy share printer dock for the camera) - if so we would have to remove it from the camera bag just like a computer. This has been going on since they required computers to be scanned separately.

We have always been asked - especially at Chicago airports- if our camera bag contained a video camera (it was a Kodak Easy share printer dock for the camera) - if so we would have to remove it from the camera bag just like a computer. This has been going on since they required computers to be scanned separately.

i have too. camera, video camera, cell phone, ipod. and not just at chicago.

From the TSA website:

Effective August 4, 2007, laptop computers, full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation®, X-box®, or Nintendo®), full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Laptop computers and video cameras that use cassettes have long been subject to this policy.

What Needs to be Screened Separately

• Laptops
  • Full-size video game consoles
  • Full-size DVD players
  • Video cameras that use video cassettes
  • CPAP breathing machines

Small and portable electronic items do not need to be removed from their carrying cases.

URL for this announcement is HERE. Scroll down...it's between the announcements regarding lighters and breast milk. (And no, I'm not touching THAT line)

From the TSA website:

URL for this announcement is HERE. Scroll down...it's between the announcements regarding lighters and breast milk. (And no, I'm not touching THAT line)

Thanks for the link ... guess I really do need new glasses!

It would have been helpful for the link to be in the original post ... I was thinking maybe it was an urban myth of some sort. Thanks!

Thanks for the link ... guess I really do need new glasses!

It would have been helpful for the link to be in the original post ... I was thinking maybe it was an urban myth of some sort. Thanks!

Would have been happy to put it in the original post, but at the time I was notified and posted here, it was not yet up on the TSA site. However, because I trusted the source (and he had verified it from several independent airline/airport/TSA sources), I felt confident in posting it in advance of the web site. Wanted to give cruisers traveling in the next few days as much notice as possible so they could allow a bit more time at the airport if necessary.

The biggest complaint I have with some of the TSA folks is that whenever a change happens, it will be administered incorrectly at about half the airports. Somehow their managers don't all get the same word or training down to the poor worker-bees.

Come to think about it, it's not just TSA but can be any large entity (corporate or government).

Pete

Archived