Best Ship for Pre-Teens (Not Disney)

LuCruise

Hi,

Our kids are currently 10 and 6 years. We're currently booked on Royal's Allure next year, but just looking ahead in case we look at doing a family trip again in a few years.

Disney cruises are just too much so outside of the others, which cruise lines / ships are best for pre-teens. For us, these are family trips so we don't really care about the kids club, but am more looking at activities such as:

• waterslides (for early to moderate swimmers) and pool area
  • entertainment (i.e. not adult only shows)
  • character or theme (e.g. Royal has DreamWorks, I think Carnival has Dr Seuss)
  • mini golf, rock climbing, etc

We do love Royal but they they are missing out on waterslides (although they are starting to add them)

Edited by LuCruise

For Waterslides, it's going to be Carnival....no rock climbing, tho...that's only on RCI, which has no waterslide yet....they are building some on the new build ships, but that's gonna be awhile!

For your other request, Carnival, RCI and NCL will offer what you're looking for.

We would give up the rock wall for waterslides. My DS would love that, an in a few years my DD should be a better swimmer to enjoy.

Any specific ships?

You don't have to give up either. As mjkacmom referenced, NCL's newer ships have all you hope for. They are on Getaway, Breakaway, Epic, the new Escape coming next month, and the future Bliss, out in 2017, I believe. And the water troughs that Essiesmom wrote about on Carnival's newer ships are also on NCL. ( The Escape may not have the rock climbing wall, but does have the largest ropes course at sea, with 3 or 4 ziplines, walk the plank, and kiddie course, plus 4 waterslides. Also, the Epic doesn't have a ropes course, but does have rock climbing and waterslides.)

If you keep your eye on prices from farther out, you can snag a great bargain! We got the Escape with our kids sailing free (only pay taxes and port fees,) and the free adult beverage package and free soda plans for the kids. That was in December for a sailing in January, 12 months away, and 10 months before the ship was done being built.

They will not have a contract with a company like Dreamworks as of the end of this year. But they are investing in their youth program through a company that runs children's programs at resorts all over the world. The youth program even practices all week and puts on a circus for everyone.

http://m.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs#splashacademy

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47074608

Edited by minnesotamamafish

Allure or Oasis would be good choices! :)

We'll be on the Allure in April. Only thing lacking for us are waterslides...which they are adding to the new Harmony so that is an option in the future. (Or they do say that they will be added to Oasis class eventually).

Just looking at other lines too since I know about Royal's ships but not much about Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, etc.