taking pictures at ports of call

cpshaye

I don't own a camera. We are going on our first cruise in May. I usually just use my cell phone for pictures, as it takes decent ones.

I keep reading not to take lots of cash, jewelry, or other valuables with you while on excursions or while exploring the port. Should I invest in a cheap camera for our trip and leave our phones in the cabin's safe (they would only be used for a camera at that point anyways)? If so, any suggestions?

We'll be going to Cozumel, Belize, Mohogany Bay, and Grand Caymen, if that matters.

Thanks.

Yes. I don't like to bring my phone on excursions in case I drop it, gets stolen, gets sand/water in it. An iPhone 6plus isn't cheap!

I have an Olympus Tough camera that can go underwater (and has) and takes beautiful pics. It's not expensive either. I'm not sure exactly what model it is, it's at home. But it's blue in color and works great.

I've taken my digital SLR to all of those places and didn't have a problem. Cell phones take decent photos until you want to blow them up and frame them, my opinion anyway. I would get a decent point and shoot camera for photos if you don't want to spend alot. They can be had for $100 'ish everywhere. These cameras can be put out of sight in your pocket if you're worried about theft.

Also, can you take a memory card out of your phone? I can't, my phone is sealed. With an actual camera, you can take multiple memory cards. I change my card out everyday and leave it in the ship's safe in case something happens to my camera. That way, we don't lose all of the memories.

Yes. I don't like to bring my phone on excursions in case I drop it, gets stolen, gets sand/water in it. An iPhone 6plus isn't cheap!

I have an Olympus Tough camera that can go underwater (and has) and takes beautiful pics. It's not expensive either. I'm not sure exactly what model it is, it's at home. But it's blue in color and works great.

I'll second this as well! We bought one a few yrs ago due to the fact I was sick of carrying around my Nikon D60...It takes beautiful pics but is just to bulky to bring to the islands...The Olympus tough, is pretty great for a little camera...Waterproof, all different modes, video, and for taking regular pics, great! Nice little camera, and quite affordable.

I've taken my digital SLR to all of those places and didn't have a problem. Cell phones take decent photos until you want to blow them up and frame them, my opinion anyway. I would get a decent point and shoot camera for photos if you don't want to spend alot. They can be had for $100 'ish everywhere. These cameras can be put out of sight in your pocket if you're worried about theft.

Also, can you take a memory card out of your phone? I can't, my phone is sealed. With an actual camera, you can take multiple memory cards. I change my card out everyday and leave it in the ship's safe in case something happens to my camera. That way, we don't lose all of the memories.

I take multiples too. At the start of each, I take a picture of S&S card and one with name and address. (Just in case I lose the camera and someone honest finds it to return)

I don't own a camera. We are going on our first cruise in May. I usually just use my cell phone for pictures, as it takes decent ones.

I keep reading not to take lots of cash, jewelry, or other valuables with you while on excursions or while exploring the port. Should I invest in a cheap camera for our trip and leave our phones in the cabin's safe (they would only be used for a camera at that point anyways)? If so, any suggestions?

We'll be going to Cozumel, Belize, Mohogany Bay, and Grand Caymen, if that matters.

Thanks.

Since you don't own a camera, and apparently rely on your cell phone as a camera while at home, you wouldn't have to necessarily invest in a regular (i.e. reusable) camera. Purchase a disposable underwater camera, for both on land and underwater pics. They're much cheaper at a discount store such as Target or Walmart than on the ship. Then, if the camera gets damaged or stolen, your out-of-pocket expense won't be such a great loss. The Fuji takes decent pictures. You can easily have your pictures put on a disc to view on your computer.

We have long since stopped taking tons of pictures....you tend to get so involved with getting the "perfect shot", that you aren't "living" the moment!

I figure, if it's so unmemorable that you have to have pictures, it probably wasn't worth the trip!!!

However, you are unlikely to be the victim of crime, so you can wear your wedding rings and daily jewelry...leave the diamond tiara on the ship...and as long as you don't act like you're in a daze and do stupid stuff, you and your money and your camera will be just fine.

Edited by cb at sea

I figure, if it's so unmemorable that you have to have pictures, it probably wasn't worth the trip!!!

You couldn't be more wrong. There is nothing more precious to me (besides my kids themselves) than looking back at our cruises when the boys were little. They were so cute. I wouldn't trade those for anything. Get a camera and capture the moments.

You couldn't be more wrong. There is nothing more precious to me (besides my kids themselves) than looking back at our cruises when the boys were little. They were so cute. I wouldn't trade those for anything. Get a camera and capture the moments.

Agree totally albums of special moments are just that

I've seen many posts of folks lamenting losing their phone, or even their camera on the 'last day' of their vacation and WHAM all the pictures are lost

a) buy a small digital camera .... does not need to be very expensive to beat the quality of a cell phone camera and the size will be about the same ....

b) buy a handful of memory cards ..... I do one a day ..... YES one super size SD card will hold ALL your vacation pictures. And if you lose it? Buy a handful of smaller ones .... they are less expensive today than a roll of good film and developing was 20 years ago!!!! And back then I'd go thru 4 or 5 rolls a day. Change your card out every day (uploading to another device is an option but IMO a PITA on a cruise)

wrt theft of a cell phone ....

today, cell phones are as common in the islands and Eur as they are here in the US so unless you have the newest most expensive I'd not concerned myself (I don't) .... on the other hand if you make it an easy target for a kid or qwik thief .... different story. I work at a Florida attraction and regularly see people leave an expensive phone on a table while they walk away to the bathroom etc . . .

Common sense should cover you.

I agree with several of the above posters about having an Olympus Tough camera. I have completely stopped taking my expensive, bulky DSLR camera on cruises with me. It's just too much to lug around and I definitely would never take it to the ports with me. I just think it's too much of a target and they are way too expensive to have something happen to it.

The Olympus Tough cameras take amazing pictures...both on land and in water. I love them so much we have 2. :eek:

Yes, you will always have your memories, but the saying goes...a picture is worth a thousand words. I couldn't live without mine. :)

I can only vouch for the 2 I have. They are the models 620 and 830. I really like the 620 (of course older than the 830) but I think I like it so much because I was use to it and haven't really played around as much with the 830. They do the same thing and have the same settings (830 may have a few more) but they completely switched up the "doors" to stuff on them. Like the battery and memory card goes in the bottom of the 620 and charging on the side and on the 830 they reversed them. I'm not sure why...but it has been an issue with me for some reason. LOL

Another neat feature about them is you can shoot video AND a still picture while videoing. :p Plus they have the tilt shift feature which is awesome.

I can only vouch for the 2 I have. They are the models 620 and 830. I really like the 620 (of course older than the 830) but I think I like it so much because I was use to it and haven't really played around as much with the 830. They do the same thing and have the same settings (830 may have a few more) but they completely switched up the "doors" to stuff on them. Like the battery and memory card goes in the bottom of the 620 and charging on the side and on the 830 they reversed them. I'm not sure why...but it has been an issue with me for some reason. LOL

Another neat feature about them is you can shoot video AND a still picture while videoing. :p Plus they have the tilt shift feature which is awesome.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. I didn't want to spend loads of money (I'm far from a professional photographer), but want something "real people" say take great pictures. I see I can get the 620 under $200. One of the things I was wondering about was the 12mp vs. 16mp. With a little bit of research, it seems that for someone like me, the 12mp would be just fine.

Thanks for your quick reply.

With the Tough know the underwater limitations. DH lent mine to a friend (scuba diver) who went too deep, end of camera. :(

It took good pix so I replaced it.

Sis likes her waterproof Fuji but it isn't as tough as the Tough.

Edited by SadieN

With the Tough know the underwater limitations. DH lent mine to a friend (scuba diver) who went too deep, end of camera. :(

It took good pix so I replaced it.

Sis likes her waterproof Fuji but it isn't as tough as the Tough.

I am also a diver and would never consider diving with that camera. I think it says it's only good up to 5 feet or so, I don't have it in front of me. For diving, they have special cases and/or cameras which I also use.

Thanks for the input. I'm not a diver, so I'm thinking 5 FEET would be good enough for me. I just want something that I can use around water without fear of getting my camera splashed on and getting ruined.

I am also a diver and would never consider diving with that camera. I think it says it's only good up to 5 feet or so, I don't have it in front of me. For diving, they have special cases and/or cameras which I also use.

Mine was 10'. DH didn't warn Friend. DH had to get me a new tougher Tough.

if you plan to use it in the water and I mean IN the water ... deeper than 3 feet you want a proper underwater camera

I recommend SeaLife

http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-535/168174/Sealife-Mini-2-Underwater-Dive-Camera.html?gclid=CKydm4zWnsQCFeJj7Aodyn0AHg older version but still avail and will cost less

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/micro-hd 13mp, 1080 video, 200 feet

do they cost more? YES, but are waterproof to 100 ft or more

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

still usable on land too .... with a hard drop rating of 1 meter

Edited by Capt_BJ

if you plan to use it in the water and I mean IN the water ... deeper than 3 feet you want a proper underwater camera

I recommend SeaLife

http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-535/168174/Sealife-Mini-2-Underwater-Dive-Camera.html?gclid=CKydm4zWnsQCFeJj7Aodyn0AHg older version but still avail and will cost less

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/micro-hd 13mp, 1080 video, 200 feet

do they cost more? YES, but are waterproof to 100 ft or more

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

still usable on land too .... with a hard drop rating of 1 meter

I have a Sea Life camera as well, but it doesn't take near as well of pictures as the Olympus especially above water. The Tough camera is full HD and is absolutely wonderful. I think for what the OP wants it for, they are much better off with the Olympus.

If they want to take it deeper than a few feet, you can also get a case. But I think they just pretty much want one they can get in the water with without fear of ruining it. The Tough camera is just fine for that. I'll see if I can find some pics I took with my Olympus.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I just checked the specs on my Olympus Tough 830 (the newer model and last one I purchased) and it says good up to 33' depth. :eek: So I guess that's another improvement over the 620 I have and 15' depth. Not that I have any intention on taking it 33' down in the water for sure.