montego bay question,

Yazoo cruiser

We have been several times but always do an excursion. Can you get a taxi at the terminal and just go into town and if so is it worth the time? Thanks.

Yes you can

I don't know how you measure "worth".

Hey neighbor! Us folks in Kosciusko have been to Mo Bay and did take a taxi into town. Let me say this, the experience left a lot to be desired! We actually got on one of the "tour" buses to get into town which wasn't too bad. It cost the same as the taxi back to the ship. We just got off where we wanted to (Margaritaville) and we walked around to find a jerk chicken place that had been highly recommended on TripAdvisor. Found it, had the chicken and beer and then hailed a cab back to the port. WARNING! Settle on the price for the cab BEFORE you get in! The guy tried to charge us a huge amount when we got to the port! I told him all I had was $10 and he reluctantly accepted it.

As far as Mo Bay, we determined any future cruise stopping there will be a stay on board day for us! Totally unimpressed with what we saw on our walking tour. Never felt really comfortable. But, we can say we've been there so it wasn't a total bust! :D

Feel the same about Montego Bay as cdavid46 does. As part of an excursion we went downtown and were approached by drug dealers in the middle of the street. Found the shop owners to be pushy. Margarettaville was the highlight of the excursion. Had lunch and a few drinks on the deck. If we venture there again we will also stay on boad the ship.

If you are on the "Hip Strip", the street where Margaritaville and Sandals are on, there is an entrance to "Doctors Caves Beach", a real beauty of a beach where you can rent a lounger, order lunch, and snorkel from shore outside the rafts.

I found this beach to be much nicer than the street.

Jamaica is a Jeckel and Hyde place.

I just love Jamaica as an AI week long vacation. The people, the service, the places to visit, the culture is just the best. We have done 3 or 4 AI's in Ocho and Negril. Flying into and out of Mo Bay.

As a cruise port day stop?

We rarely get off the ship anymore whether it's Mo Bay or Ocho

It wasn't so bad when we started cruising back in 02. Usually a no thanks or a gracias no would suffice. Now the hawkers are more aggressive. Jamaica is no different than many other third world countries. I have had the same experience in Belize, Honduras and even Mexico. Last trip to Honduras we stopped in Coxen Hole and was surrounded by hawkers as soon as we stepped through the gate. They would not leave us alone. Same thing when we were the first to arrive in Costa Maya. Step out of the Tourist Village in Belize City and it is the same thing.

These ports are getting to the point that we will not get off of the ship unless we have a tour booked. It is a shame because we really enjoyed shopping where the locals shop, eating local cuisine and seeing the out-of-the-way sites.