Should Cruise Lines Boycott Russian/Crimean Ports

Korianto

Many Cruise Lines visit St. Petersburg, Russia on their Northern European Cruises. They also visit 1) Sochi, Russia, 2) Yalta, Russia, and 3) Sevestopol, Russia (the last 2 formerly part of Ukraine.

It is my opinion that all Cruise Lines, headquartered in the United States or the European Union, should be joining the International Boycott of all things Russian.

Why?

For two reasons: 1) Because of the Anti-Gay Propaganda Laws that were passed last Summer by the Russian Legislature and signed into law by President Putin.

These laws are an affront to anyone Gay or Lesbian. They allow rampant discrimination against anyone who appears to be Gay, who wears Gay themed clothing, who visits Gay Bars, or who even carries or wears a Rainbow flag.

Regional laws were first put into effect by the Mayor of St. Petersburg, and they are a horror. Foreign Nationals caught under this Anti-Propaganda Act are subject to large fines and up to 15 days imprisonment. Just think of that - if you were to visit the port of St. Petersburg and wore your Rainbow flag sweatshirt or T-shirt, you could be arrested under this law!

If you even wore a Rainbow Flag lapel pin, or anything that they could consider "Gay Propaganda" you could be subject to arrest.

For me, I fought hard for my equal rights here in my home State of Maryland. I fought hard for the Right to Marry my husband, a law that was finally passed and implemented earlier this year. I for one do not hide the fact that I am in a same-sex relationship.

I really wonder that the Cruise Lines are advising their Gay and Lesbian passengers who are about to visit a Russian Port? Do they tell them to not wear any Gay themed clothing? Do they advise them to not act "Gay"? Do they advise them to not call their significant other an endearing term like "Honey"?

2) Because of the recent illegal annexation of Ukrainian Crimea by Russian leaders.

We're all aware of the recent events in central Europe. How the Ukrainian President was going to let his country join the European Union, but then backtracked and then went to align themselves with Russia's Eurasian Union. Mostly because of that, the Ukrainian populace overthrew their President and sent him fleeing to Russia. Then Russia sent troops into Ukrainian Crimea, and forced the people, at gunpoint, to vote for joining, and becoming part of, Russian Territory.

As I said, I think we as a group of Gay and Lesbian Cruisers should be asking all the Cruise Lines to begin Boycotting Russian Ports - and to give Russia the reasons - because of their passage of their Anti-Gay legislation - their violation of Human Rights, as part of the European and World community. And because they violated International Law when they unilaterally invaded Ukraine, and further caused a change in that country's national borders (that were established by international treaty).

Currently Cruise Lines visit St. Petersburg during Northern European Cruises, and during Black sea cruises visit 1) Sochi, Russia, 2) Yalta, Russia (formerly Ukraine), 3) Sevestopol, Russia (formerly Ukraine).

We need to let the Mayors of these cities know why they are being boycotted. I am sure that they realize how much money their city takes in as the result of Cruise ship visits. Let them know that discrimination against anyone has no place in today's society. Let them know that what their country did to Ukrainian National Borders violated International Law. That these are the reasons for the Boycott.

Boycott Russian Ports!!!

Ken

I'm not so sure "boycott" is the right word. Maybe" let's just not go because it's not safe". We were booked on a Kiev to Odessa river cruise. We were notified a week or so ago that the trip was canx. I've noticed on these threads, Azamara has canx it Black Sea itineraries. Someone else posted the Kiev extension is not longer available as part of some other trip. If one was doing say, the ST Petersburg to Moscow river cruise, you need a visa (we've done this cruise in the past and it was remarkable) visas just might be denied for US citizens, therefore.....those cruises would be canx. Things could get very volatile over the next few months (lets hope not). It's just not safe to travel to some of those destinations. Kinda' like right now, you wouldn't really "boycott" going to Iran, but you just wouldn't go!

I don't think it is the cruise lines' responsibility to make political statements. I think they are merely offering travel options to consumers. If cruise lines boycotted all countries that have been accused of human rights violations (such as countries that ban HIV-positive travelers), there would be many less places to travel - some of those places I have cruised to and had a fabulous time. I think it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to travel to places like Russia, or not. We were booked on the Celebrity Constellation to the Black Sea this year, with an overnight in Sochi, but we ended up canceling because we didn't feel comfortable going. But if people want to visit that part of the world, they should be able to.

Michael

Good point-look at how many itineraries call on Jamaica.

I think it is more important for guests not to buy the cruise if they do not agree with the port(s). If enough people do not, the cruiseline would eventually choose other routings.

I don't think it is the cruise lines' responsibility to make political statements. I think they are merely offering travel options to consumers. If cruise lines boycotted all countries that have been accused of human rights violations (such as countries that ban HIV-positive travelers), there would be many less places to travel - some of those places I have cruised to and had a fabulous time. I think it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to travel to places like Russia, or not. We were booked on the Celebrity Constellation to the Black Sea this year, with an overnight in Sochi, but we ended up canceling because we didn't feel comfortable going. But if people want to visit that part of the world, they should be able to.

Michael

Has anyone been on a cruise that stopped at St. Petersburg since the "Gay Propaganda" laws were passed in Russia?

I was wondering if any of the cruise lines warned passengers about the laws, or told them how to dress appropriately. For example, no Gay related symbolism on their clothing, or don't refer to their same-sex husband as their husband. All in the name of "Passenger Safety".

One must also remember that many cruise lines will cease stopping at a particular port if passenger safety becomes a problem. In other words, "Boycott" the port until that city/Country takes appropriate actions to guarantee the safety of passengers.

K

It is interesting how some will use this site to disseminate political propaganda in terms of boycotts of foreign ports regardless of the fact that they could ever have the opportunity of visiting them in the first place for either financial or other reasons.

Has anyone been on a cruise that stopped at St. Petersburg since the "Gay Propaganda" laws were passed in Russia?

I was wondering if any of the cruise lines warned passengers about the laws, or told them how to dress appropriately. For example, no Gay related symbolism on their clothing, or don't refer to their same-sex husband as their husband. All in the name of "Passenger Safety".

One must also remember that many cruise lines will cease stopping at a particular port if passenger safety becomes a problem. In other words, "Boycott" the port until that city/Country takes appropriate actions to guarantee the safety of passengers.

K

We visited St Petersburg last June, just before the nationwide 'gay propaganda' law was passed. However, at the time of our visit a regional law was already in place in St Petersburg. Neither the cruise line (Costa) nor the tour guide mentioned the anti-gay laws. We were only in port for a day and had opted for an excursion arranged by Costa, so we were very much in a bubble for the day. We didn't experience any negativity or feel unsafe, but we were hardly away from tourist locations for more than 5 minutes at a time. I wouldn't imagine anyone having problems in this situation, but I would certainly feel anxious now about travelling to Russia independently for any extended period.

Good point-look at how many itineraries call on Jamaica.

I think it is more important for guests not to buy the cruise if they do not agree with the port(s). If enough people do not, the cruiseline would eventually choose other routings.

I totally agree. We won't go to Russia or Jamaica.

I am constantly amazed by how many Americans forget just how anti-gay many of the individual states are. The US has been a democracy for much longer than Russia has. It is all a question of educating the populous.

I am constantly amazed by how many Americans forget just how anti-gay many of the individual states are. The US has been a democracy for much longer than Russia has. It is all a question of educating the populous.

I'm not going to Kansas, Nebraska, Mississippi...... for vacation anytime soon. ;)

No issue visiting Russian cities as ports of call on a cruise. Like any destination a traveller needs to respect laws and customs.

Every country has laws that are disagreeable or reprehensible to some or many. Consider the following:

Slavery and Caste still exist in India, yet nobody is boycotting them.

The US has (according to some) behaved illegally in their invasion of various countries, yet I don't see everybody demanding they be boycotted.

My own country sent the military and police in to control indigenous people's in Northern Australia, yet I don't see anyone boycotting us.

China has committed some unspeakable acts of human rights violation, but nobody is calling on travellers to boycott them.

Naturally the laws targeting gay "propaganda" affect gays and lesbians, but I think we need to get things into perspective here.

I'd be more concerned at the moment about a potential war in Eastern Europe.

No issue visiting Russian cities as ports of call on a cruise. Like any destination a traveller needs to respect laws and customs.

Every country has laws that are disagreeable or reprehensible to some or many. Consider the following:

Slavery and Caste still exist in India, yet nobody is boycotting them.

The US has (according to some) behaved illegally in their invasion of various countries, yet I don't see everybody demanding they be boycotted.

My own country sent the military and police in to control indigenous people's in Northern Australia, yet I don't see anyone boycotting us.

China has committed some unspeakable acts of human rights violation, but nobody is calling on travellers to boycott them.

Naturally the laws targeting gay "propaganda" affect gays and lesbians, but I think we need to get things into perspective here.

I'd be more concerned at the moment about a potential war in Eastern Europe.

Austcruiser84

Very well said, quite agree.

Very well said, quite agree.

Tony & Trevor, FYI, no need to cut and paste the content of a message you wish to refer to. By clicking on the word "Quote" at the bottom right hand corner of the message in question it will automatically appear. Congratulations on a great day for you guys over there.

Cheers

Edited by ONT-CA