Do you get travel insurance??

cmoose

IMO the purpose of insurance is to cover catastrophic expenses, e.g. medical and evacuation. Those can reach into the tens of thousands of dollars. I don't buy cancelation insurance because although it would be a major downer, I could afford to absorb that loss. After all I've already paid it. I pocket the money I would have spent on cancelation coverage.

IMO the purpose of insurance is to cover catastrophic expenses, e.g. medical and evacuation. Those can reach into the tens of thousands of dollars. I don't buy cancelation insurance because although it would be a major downer, I could afford to absorb that loss. After all I've already paid it. I pocket the money I would have spent on cancelation coverage.

For a $179 cruise out of Miami maybe but do you take med cruises with major airfare costs etc?

Just asking because I could absorb the cost of a cheap cruise as well but insurance is cheap enough that I would buy it to cover cancellation. Act of god. Non traveling family member illness etc and not just for catistrophic.

It is more likely that you need to cancel for one if these reasons than to be medi vac

If you are elderly and have a med. evac concern then I would think falling before the cruise and breaking something is just as much as a concern

I am not really responding to you though I am just stating these issues for all the posters here

I am wondering what most people do? We are driving to port, sailing mid June to Bermuda, have no medical issues and don't plan on doing anything more dangerous than snorkeling from the beach. I'm thinking it's not too likely we will need insurance. Of course you just never know. What would/do you do?

Well, lets put it this way. I too am in good health. No issues. Went on a cruise in 2010 and didn't plan on doing anything more than laying on the beach. We went to Cabbage Beach in Nassau and I got hit by a rogue wave. Broken collarbone, blew out my MCL and broke or bruised a couple of ribs. I ended up at the Doctor's Hospital in Nassau and the whole affair cost around $1500. Had I needed surgery it would have been into the thousands of dollars. I had insurance that paid back the $1500 to me and would have paid for surgery as well if it was required.

It happens to people regardless of age or health so if you can swallow a 5K or 10K bill or higher without issue then yeah, go for it. If that would represent a serious hardship, then you know what to do.

And honestly to all people trying to save a couple hundred bucks on a trip worth thousands, if the $200 makes that much of a difference (not saying that it does to the OP) then stay home. Its not worth the roll of the dice if you can't afford the consequences.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

"Peace Of Mind", yes I always get it. As stated in other posts... "Sometimes lifes inconvieniences get in the way".

As a side note:

My credit cards do not offer it, but I have seen offers from some that have a similar insurance to what I pay extra for. See if your credit card offers it before you purchace it.

Edited by NH Cruisers

For a $179 cruise out of Miami maybe but do you take med cruises with major airfare costs etc?

Just asking because I could absorb the cost of a cheap cruise as well but insurance is cheap enough that I would buy it to cover cancellation. Act of god. Non traveling family member illness etc and not just for catistrophic.

It is more likely that you need to cancel for one if these reasons than to be medi vac

If you are elderly and have a med. evac concern then I would think falling before the cruise and breaking something is just as much as a concern

I am not really responding to you though I am just stating these issues for all the posters here

Medical evacuation from onboard ship can happen to anyone - not just the elderly and that's a risk that everyone should be covered for, b/c it could be financially ruinous otherwise. Even if it's unlikely. That's what insurance is for.

As far as cancelation coverage goes, it is more likely to come up but it's relatively expensive for the amount of coverage provided. IMO there is no need to buy cancelation insurance for a cruise that you can easily afford to replace. Now, if you've scrimped and saved to afford a truly special cruise that will be a once-in-a-lifetime vacation then there is a greater reason to buy cancelation coverage. Or if there's a significant risk that you may need to cancel on short notice (e.g. illness) then cancelation coverage may be worthwhile.

Last December we were on Pearl. My mother-in law had a severe allergic reaction. She was treated overnight at the ship’s hospital. The final bill was over a thousand dollars. I am really happy I bought insurance for her. They reimbursed me everything. I do not always buy insurance for myself but for senior people it’s a must IMHO.

We NEVER cruise without it...ever! if you have to be airlifted off the ship, or something happens in another country, you better have the travel insurance. Google the question and some of the horror stories will pop up! For very little money (less than $100 PP) it will give you peace of mind so you can enjoy your cruise!

Medical evacuation from onboard ship can happen to anyone - not just the elderly and that's a risk that everyone should be covered for, b/c it could be financially ruinous otherwise. Even if it's unlikely. That's what insurance is for.

As far as cancelation coverage goes, it is more likely to come up but it's relatively expensive for the amount of coverage provided. IMO there is no need to buy cancelation insurance for a cruise that you can easily afford to replace. Now, if you've scrimped and saved to afford a truly special cruise that will be a once-in-a-lifetime vacation then there is a greater reason to buy cancelation coverage. Or if there's a significant risk that you may need to cancel on short notice (e.g. illness) then cancelation coverage may be worthwhile.

The US CG and most other countries do not charge if they have to evacuate you off the ship. Its what happens after that for what you may need the insurance for. If you get stranded in the Bahamas and need a air evac that will costs you. But the chance that will happen in a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas is small. When I travel close to the US I don't normally buy insurance but long trips overseas I do. Its what your own risk tolerance is for the most part and what you can afford to lose.

Wow. Folks on this thread have really bought into travel insurance scam! Do you get a little twitch when you pass the "flight insurance" kiosk at the airport before every flight?

Be rational, folks. Yes, travel insurance is probably wise if the traveler is in precarious health. Other than that, it is simply a huge money-maker for the travel agency/insurance agency. Why do you think they push it so hard? Because they care about you?

They do it to make $$ by exploiting fear. Car dealers push just as hard for multi-year maintenance plans--same logic.

Basic rule of thumb for any type of insurance: if you can afford to take the $$ hit if the unexpected happens (however it may hurt), don't take the insurance. You'll come out ahead in the end. If you can't afford to take the hit (i.e. $1M liability suit for car accident; $600,000 for unexpected medical expenses), get insurance.

Most folks visiting this site have the means to absorb $3000 if a cruise is cancelled. They will, in toto, come out ahead by not falling for this scam.

Wow. You couldn't be more wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you did not clarify what you are referring to, I will ASSUME you are talking about the last poster that insurance was a scam.

I believe he is partially right. Most people buy insurance to protect the cost of the cruise. That in itself is a bad bet - overall. Yes, there are stories about people that cancelled and got their money back. They fail to mention the millions that buy it and never get anything back.

The sad part is they buy it as protection - like some fairy god mother will make sure they still get to cruise no matter what. Wrong.

For those that want to insure against a LARGE financial issue, it does make sense.

Sadly, many buy insurance thinking it is covering stuff it does not. But, they feel better anyways.

Ok, you're right. I didn't clarify because I was on my phone and didn't have time to type, but it irks me when posters say things like "you fell for the scam of xyz", in a tone that denigrates others who have made different choices, so I just reacted.

I agree that most people buy insurance that does not truly cover what is most likely to be catastrophic. That said, people buy all types of insurance for a variety of reasons. Some are simply more risk averse that others. It still doesn't mean it's a scam. It means that for some the price is fully worth the peace of mind. I happen to have a low premium, high deductible health insurance plan, and I stick money away in a Health Savings Account. My husband prefers to pay a higher premium and not have to worry about having large bills to pay later. Neither is wrong, neither is a scam....just different choices.

So yeah, my response was to the prior poster, and was a reaction to his crappy, condescending attitude. It's unnecessary. And it's also "wrong" in that many posters here have shares their own experiences of how the price of the insurance was dwarfed by the costa they would have had to pay out had they not taken it. It's not a scam. It's a viable choice.

...So yeah, my response was to the prior poster, and was a reaction to his crappy, condescending attitude. It's unnecessary. And it's also "wrong" in that many posters here have shares their own experiences of how the price of the insurance was dwarfed by the costa they would have had to pay out had they not taken it. It's not a scam. It's a viable choice.

Yes, that poster was a bit rough around the edges. Insurance for most people is not terrible - but not usually what they think they bought either.

As to Costa...not sure how much out of pocket those passengers dealt with - speaking of survivors that is. I assume hotel, transportation, refund of cruise was all covered.

What always interests me is that people that buy insurance, but do not travel with credit cards or funds to take care of all these "things" that come up. Seems rather silly. "Yep, we have insurance, but no money for hotel or hospital or food or airfare or...."

Yes, that poster was a bit rough around the edges. Insurance for most people is not terrible - but not usually what they think they bought either.

As to Costa...not sure how much out of pocket those passengers dealt with - speaking of survivors that is. I assume hotel, transportation, refund of cruise was all covered.

What always interests me is that people that buy insurance, but do not travel with credit cards or funds to take care of all these "things" that come up. Seems rather silly. "Yep, we have insurance, but no money for hotel or hospital or food or airfare or...."

I completely agree about the risk involved with not traveling with funds to pay for those issues that may arise. What's the point of insurance, which typically reimburses, if you can't pay for things in the first place?

A bit more education would do everyone some good. No question.

Wow. Folks on this thread have really bought into travel insurance scam! Do you get a little twitch when you pass the "flight insurance" kiosk at the airport before every flight?

Be rational, folks. Yes, travel insurance is probably wise if the traveler is in precarious health. Other than that, it is simply a huge money-maker for the travel agency/insurance agency. Why do you think they push it so hard? Because they care about you?

They do it to make $$ by exploiting fear. Car dealers push just as hard for multi-year maintenance plans--same logic.

Basic rule of thumb for any type of insurance: if you can afford to take the $$ hit if the unexpected happens (however it may hurt), don't take the insurance. You'll come out ahead in the end. If you can't afford to take the hit (i.e. $1M liability suit for car accident; $600,000 for unexpected medical expenses), get insurance.

Most folks visiting this site have the means to absorb $3000 if a cruise is cancelled. They will, in toto, come out ahead by not falling for this scam.

Can you afford a $20,000 medical expense in a foreign land? Just curious.

Good point, nbsj.

However, I don't buy insurance in case I am hit by a meteorite. I don't buy flight insurance. I grudgingly buy employment malpractice insurance because I can't take a $3M hit (even though by my calculations, the insurance company takes 50% as pure profit).

If I were sickly and traveling on a cruise, yes, I would buy cruise insurance. However, the fact that it is pushed so heavily should be an indicator that it is not a particularly great buy for most of us?

Can you afford a $20,000 medical expense in a foreign land? Just curious.

yeah I'm a fool for falling for that scam. Wish I hadn't bothered. would have been easy to absorb the $10k bill for my 14 yo son.

such an idiot.

me obviously...

Always, for the extra $75-$100 its well worth it. My wife or I could get sick, break a bone etc.... right before a cruise and if you don't have insurance you could kiss your hard earned money goodbye. Evac from a ship $$$$$$$

We normally rent a house in the Outer Banks for two weeks during the summer, we get the insurance with that.

get the insurance. broke my ankle 10 days before a med cruise no insurance out 7000. my fault no insurance. would i do it ever again never. even for 1000.

Good point, nbsj.

However, I don't buy insurance in case I am hit by a meteorite. I don't buy flight insurance. I grudgingly buy employment malpractice insurance because I can't take a $3M hit (even though by my calculations, the insurance company takes 50% as pure profit).

If I were sickly and traveling on a cruise, yes, I would buy cruise insurance. However, the fact that it is pushed so heavily should be an indicator that it is not a particularly great buy for most of us?

Its a gamble no question about it but here's the way I look at it. If I take 10 trips and buy insurance 10 times, I'm out $1500 big whoop. If I get hurt (read my previous post, I did and was damn close to getting surgery in Nassau) and it costs me 10K, I'm going to be kicking my ass.

So its not a simplistic where you come out ahead most times by not buying. Yes, that's true but what you miss is this - its what you are gambling that is the issue. With one slip, one fall, a careless driver driving down the street in a foreign land while you are not paying attention - and you risk everything. You could find yourself in a hospital with a multi-thousand dollar bill and if that day ever comes, I guarantee you won't be adding up the wins and losses.

I was like many other people. A young healthy, in shape guy out enjoying a day at the beach in Nassau. Within minutes I was in the hospital wondering if I was going to be operated on. But the one thing I didn't wonder was, where am I going to get the money or am I going to financially ruin my family because I wanted to save a lousy $120.

Insurance companies make money in the long run and people who buy policies lose in the long run. Its the short run we need to consider and 1. whether or not you can absorb a major hit and 2. If the cost of the insurance is prohibitive. I like gambling as much as the next guy, but I buy house insurance because I don't want to gamble and lose my $150K house. Why would I not buy travel insurance when I could face a bill of the same size in a heartbeat.

Yep, definitely twitch because insurances sold in those machines are way overpriced. I have permanent/ongoing/whatever-it-might-be-called traveller's insurance that covers all my medical expenses and trip delays/cancellations (not "any reason" though), additional coverage for luggage up to ~$5000, all for about $200/yr (an extension to the home owners policy). The insurance kicks in when I'm more than 30 miles from my place of residence (and not at my workplace of travelling there) for maximum of three months at a time so I have coverage for even trips to relatives not too far away.

I'm a bit more pessimist than an optimist and if/when one bigger accident happens abroad, it will make any travel insurance fees I have ever paid or will ever pay really worth it. We already have nearly that situation in our home after one aquarium related accident after which the insurance company paid several thousands to replace damaged hardwood floor - we are way ahead still for years to come.

I truly think that your estimates about most folks here and what they can afford are way off. Good for you if your situation is like that but I don't believe that you are in majority here.

Yep, definitely twitch because insurances sold in those (airport flight insurance) machines are way overpriced.

Okay, we're talking about the same thing. I'm just saying that travel insurance--for those who are not in ill health--is a very bad deal (borderline scam). I wonder how much commission travel agents get for pushing $120 insurance? $25? $40? $70? Dunno!

I truly think that your estimates about most folks here and what they can afford are way off. Good for you if your situation is like that but I don't believe that you are in majority here.

Okay, my feeling about insurance is that you should only take out insurance if you cannot survive the loss of whatever is being insured. Health insurance is necessary, so is auto insurance. Medical malpractice insurance. All of these can bankrupt an individual. Life insurance, meh. Depends upon your circumstances. I know this will get lost in translation, but by definition, all folks who have paid $3000 for a cruise can afford to lose $3000 on a cruise. They do not need insurance to cover the $3000 loss. They have already paid the $3000! They can afford to take the loss! (Does this make any sense?)

So yeah, my response was to the prior poster, and was a reaction to his crappy, condescending attitude.

I had just waded through 90 messages, 95% of which extolled the virtues of travel insurance. My brain was ready to explode. I hate to see people taken advantage of. Sorry for the snark. For what it's worth, my dad opted for travel insurance for an upcoming family cruise (he's 85), and I think that was a good idea. He's in relatively good health, but he's 85. For most everyone else, though: NO!

In summary, take that $120 that you are planning to pay for travel insurance, and buy some lottery tickets. You'll get a better payback.

Edited by pex
typo

Okay, we're talking about the same thing. I'm just saying that travel insurance--for those who are not in ill health--is a very bad deal (borderline scam). I wonder how much commission travel agents get for pushing $120 insurance? $25? $40? Dunno!

Okay, my feeling about insurance is that you should only take out insurance if you cannot survive the loss of whatever is being insured. Health insurance is necessary, so is auto insurance. Medical malpractice insurance. All of these can bankrupt an individual. Life insurance, meh. Depends upon your circumstances. I know this will get lost in translation, but by definition, all folks who have paid $3000 for a cruise can afford to lose $3000 on a cruise. They do not need insurance to cover the $3000 loss. They have already paid the $3000! They can afford to take the loss! (Does this make any sense?)

I had just waded through 90 messages, 95% of which extolled the virtues of travel insurance. My brain was ready to explode. I hate to see people taken advantage of. Sorry for the snark. For what it's worth, my dad opted for travel insurance for an upcoming family cruise (he's 85), and I think that was a good idea. He's in relatively good health, but he's 85. For most everyone else, though: NO!

In summary, take that $120 that you are planning to pay for travel insurance, and buy some lottery tickets. You'll get a better payback.

If you 85 year old dad had a heart attack and died 3 days before the cruise would the rest of the family still have gone on the cruise? If he had a stroke on the way to the cruise would the rest of the family still have gone? Could the rest of those traveling on the family cruise also have been able to afford the cruise loss? We don't buy insurance to cover our own health situation we buy insurance because of situations beyond our control that may be caused by others

Everyone should have had insurance in addition to your dad. I know I would buy it for myself if I were traveling with or had an elderly relative at home.

But regardless the fact that it was a family cruise tells me it was more than just 2 people traveling. Too many potential issues with that.

Of course I do not take 3 day weekend cruises and I think in terms of 12 plus med vacations

If posters here are talking about cheapo $129 cruises then insurance is probably ok to skip unless if course you have a heart attack while

in Nassau. Or Belize. Or labadee

Edited by Crusin6