Chef's table

Baker City Mom

I have been searching for postings about the Chef's table and haven't been able to find anything recent. Is NCL still doing this on all ships? If so, has anyone recently done the Chefs table? I would love your comments! Also, has the price gone up to $99? Can you only reserve after boarding? Is a master sommelier still selecting the wine pairings? Thank you!

$99 is the current price and still available on all ships. Same menu since day one. Booking only onboard.

If you are in a suite, you can let the pre cruise concierge know that you want to sign up for the chef's table and they will inform the ship concierge prior to your boarding. The ship concierge has great sway over who gets into the chef's table so even though you can't pre book, it greases the wheels.

Is a master sommelier still selecting the wine pairings?
The wine pairings are determined fleet-wide, just like the rest of the menu. There will be a wine steward at your Chef's Table, who I'm sure will be very knowledgeable, but they are not personally responsible for the pairings.

We just got off the Star on 9/13. When we checked in, our Concierge was there to greet us. (we were in a suite) I told him that we wanted to be included and he booked it for us then. It was $99 pp and was limited to 12 people. It was a lovely 9 course meal, with multiple wine pairings. Our Exec Chef had the photographer take pics of each of us with him, which were included with a signed menu as a memento of the night. It had been my birthday a couple of days before the dinner, and they brought out a beautifully personalized cake for me. We shared it with our table, as an addition to our desserts. It was a really unique experience and well worth the price.

If you are in a suite, you can let the pre cruise concierge know that you want to sign up for the chef's table and they will inform the ship concierge prior to your boarding. The ship concierge has great sway over who gets into the chef's table so even though you can't pre book, it greases the wheels.

Could anyone comment then on what the chances of those not with concierge or butlers to "grease the wheels" may have then of attending such an event.

Given the limited # of attendees, I suspect that those who need to wait until they board are less likely to be able to book this.

I was hoping to treat my husband to this as a special anniversary dinner, but now that I see this I am a somewhat discouraged but appreciate there are perks that do come with being able to afford and pay for a suite .

Could anyone comment then on what the chances of those not with concierge or butlers to "grease the wheels" may have then of attending such an event.

Given the limited # of attendees, I suspect that those who need to wait until they board are less likely to be able to book this.

I was hoping to treat my husband to this as a special anniversary dinner, but now that I see this I am a somewhat discouraged but appreciate there are perks that do come with being able to afford and pay for a suite .

Depends on the sailing. If you head to the restaurant reservation desk upon boarding, you'll have a good chance. The two times we indulged in the Chef's Table, most participants were not in suites. It really is a lovely evening - enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did it once and had a great time. None on the participants at our table were in suites.

I'm sure if you head down to the reservations desk once you board, you will have no issues. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We were on the Dawn sailing (9/5-9/12) and my son & I did the chef's table ... two years prior my DH and I did it. This time I did ask before hand about booking it, when we boarded the ship I talked with the concierge about it and she took care of everything. There were only 8 of us (two years ago there was 14).

We had a wonderful time ... great people and lots of wine ... I had to stop drinking the glasses so quickly, as every time they would refill it ... there was lots of wine. :rolleyes::D

I would do it again in a minute --- I met some wonderful people and we all had a great time talking. Jan

Huggs - go directly to the reservation desk upon boarding ... there is a really good chance that you will be able to "partake"! --- Have a wonderful anniversary.

Edited by Jan_In_Maine

Last time I was on the sun I asked the concierge to get me a space as soon as I boarded.

Since the sun only has 20 suites, I pretty much recognized everyone from the suites during the cruise. I believe I was the only suite passenger attending the dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DMH15

Interested in doing the chef's table next cruise. My questions is about the dress code for men for this event. Is wearing a suit recommended? Or just pants and collar shirt is fine? I really do not want to pack a suit for just one night.

DH and I did it on the Dawn to Boston - our one and only time in a suite. We had never heard of it before, but when we were at our embarkation lunch at Cagney's, the hostess came around to all the tables and asked the suite guests if they wanted to sign up. What this tells me is that if you get to the reservations desk promptly when you get onboard, you should have no problem - they obviously had spots and were actively trying to persuade suite guests to sign up when we were on. As another poster mentioned, this is the same menu since day one, so a lot of the repeat NCL cruisers have already been there, done that.

My daughter and I are hoping to partake at our Christmas cruise on BA this year - and we don't have a suite - so I'll be heading to the reservations desks PDQ with fingers crossed, but I really don't think at $99 a head it's something that sells out fast - not like a vibe pass.

Relax and just make your way to reservations desk...I think you will be fine.

Interested in doing the chef's table next cruise. My questions is about the dress code for men for this event. Is wearing a suit recommended? Or just pants and collar shirt is fine? I really do not want to pack a suit for just one night.

A suit isn't needed - DS had slacks and a collared shirt and he was dress appropriate. Jan

I am sure people feel like it is worth it but just think some times on 3 day cruises some people pay about $99 for the entire cruise!

That being said we do get on the ship tomorow and we have upgraded to a suite. We could do 3 regular cruises foe what we are paying for that but felt this was a time we wanted to do it. Hope you guys enjoy the chefs table

Going to be celebrating our anniversary on our December cruise and was thinking this would be great. Are kids allowed to join in at the chef's table or is it only for adults? If kids are allowed is it still $99 or is there a discount like other venues? Thanks for the help.

We had two kids (tweens) at our table. One was willing to try anything once and enjoyed himself. The other refused to eat much of the meal and was semi-miserable during the event.

Since they were unable to drink the wine offered during the meal, they got virgin mixed drinks the whole night, one after another.

I'm not sure if they had any discount, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by CTCruiser001

When people say "collared shirt" does that mean polo/golf shirt? I.e. anything above a t-shirt? I'm no formal fetishist but for the Chef's Table I'd put on at least a button-down.

I'll have to change the way I write!:) I normally will say a polo shirt when I'm talking about that and a collared shirt when I am talking about a button down shirt --- short sleeved or long sleeved. I'll have to be more specific. Jan

We had two kids (tweens) at our table. One was willing to try anything once and enjoyed himself. The other refused to eat much of the meal and was semi-miserable during the event.

Since they were unable to drink the wine offered during the meal, they got virgin mixed drinks the whole night, one after another.

I'm not sure if they had any discount, but I wouldn't count on it.

Thank you

Going to be celebrating our anniversary on our December cruise and was thinking this would be great. Are kids allowed to join in at the chef's table or is it only for adults? If kids are allowed is it still $99 or is there a discount like other venues? Thanks for the help.

One tricky thing to note with young children, since we're still trying to work this out for our own upcoming cruise, is that the time of the meal overlaps with the 5:00-7:00 that the kids club is closed.